Archinect
anchor

wayfinding

baulding

i am searching for creative examples of city wayfinding systems. does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks,
b.ding

May 7, 07 4:42 pm

Look at work by Pentagram and Bruce Mau. They've both experimented with larger scale (usually painted on various building surfaces) atypical systems.

May 7, 07 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
baulding

thanks rationalist! ive already looked into those...any other ideas?

May 7, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm
http://www.lancewyman.com/

May 8, 07 11:22 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Somebody just posted this link on another thread.

On that same thread, I mention the machine-like efficiency of the IND division of the NYC subway. Here's a page that discusses the original color-coded wayfinding system developed for the IND.

May 8, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 

I guess the big problem with this is that you've asked for "creative examples". There are a lot of people doing really good, but very standard concept, wayfinding out there, few doing anything experimental, and fewer making the experimental stuff look good.

May 8, 07 11:56 am  · 
 · 
baulding

thanks for your suggestions everyone! what i am looking for are simply case studies. obviously each city requires a unique set of goals for a wayfinding system. i am researching this for the City of Charleston, South Carolina. it is a southern, historic city where people wont let you change the color of buildings let alone plop a sign in their front yard. so things are going to have to get creative. the more inconspicuous/intuitive the design, the better people will feel...and the easier it will go through review boards.

frem, lance wyman is great! any other ideas?
living in gin, very interesting! thanks for the links...
rationalist, you are absolutely right! let me know if you find anyone making the experimental stuff look good!

May 8, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

i'm lost...

May 9, 07 9:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: