Archinect
anchor

Revit Families suggestions

thakopian

I am thinking about putting together an example of a Revit Family for my portfolio. As anyone who has experience making families can tell you that they are time consuming and frustrating to make correctly. I want to design something that looks like I know what I am doing and is an attractive object. Maybe a chair or installation.

Any suggestions as to what to make, what a BIM manager would look for as a convincing piece of work displaying Revit family knowledge and  work in general? Feel free to share examples of things you like.

And any good interior design floor plan examples for Revit would be helpful as well.

Sep 14, 12 2:02 pm

A drafting table.

Sep 14, 12 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

structural connections and show all parameters and how they work - also be able to show that you thoroughly tested the familes as well - also light fixtures - I spend 1/2 my time for the last 5 years on them and it's easy - the key is to lay out your reference planes then constraints(dimension strings with parameters) and test before adding geometry - be sure and align to reference plane and then lock - or it won't work

Sep 14, 12 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
postal

looks at this work: http://www.andekan.com/

the blog will gill you lots of great great tips on making super pro families.  I rarely if ever go to this extent, but there's some terrific examples of managing the data, visibility, flexibility, and size of families.

Sep 14, 12 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

is the question not so much how to make a family, but how to visually communicate that you can create a family in a portfolio?  i don't know if it would be possible to show a family in such a way as to communicate that it's been adequately tested, though perhaps you can add a note or something.

the drafting table is clever.  show them you can parametrically change a parallel bar sliding up and down :)

Sep 14, 12 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
thakopian

The example should look appealing, like it relates to their line of work. The example I had in mind is a contemporary piece of furniture or something you can place in a restaurant. I can point out to it and say I did it all in Revit and then explain my process. Give them the whole story from start to creation to final product.

So yeah, visual communication being backed up with knowledge of Revit. I don't have to show all of the reference planes just tell them I know how to do it.

Thanks for the tips!

Sep 14, 12 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

i would put a page in the portfolio with a couple of renderings of a family in various states of adjustment, add some graphic dimensions to describe the adjustable parameters and maybe a list of the parameters that are not clear in the graphics and any mathematics involved in creating the family.  

I don't think linear parameters would be all that impressive.  Maybe try to create a family, where the parameters are used in forumlas or using some if/then statements.

Sep 14, 12 10:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: