Archinect
anchor

CAD standard: what is the size for some symbols?

cmrhm

I am working in a rather large firm, but amazingly, the CAD standard is not that uniformed. I wonder if anyone can help me to determine some symbols size to start with:
1. the correct size for the SECTION symbol( I mean the circle containing the section numbers) and drawing symbols like the circle besides "West elevation".

Thanks a million and have a green Monday.

Apr 30, 07 12:54 am

easy question. It has no fixed size. It should be relative the scale of the drawings and|or building. That said, however a good rule of thumb is that it should be 4.5x the thickness of a wall.

Apr 30, 07 1:17 am  · 
 · 

I'm sorry I just pulled that number from my ass...I just know the size is relative. Sorry

Apr 30, 07 1:18 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

I mean the size in the paper space NOT in the model space.

Apr 30, 07 9:36 am  · 
 · 
Gloominati

There's no one standard for something like that - it's an aesthetic thing that each firm determines for themselves. The size of the circle has to interact with the font and text size that you're using, as well as whether you're putting a single number or letter in there (for instance labeling the section "A") or putting more information (for instance "A/A5.0.4"), etc.

I just measured one of ours and it has a 1/2" diameter in paper space. Feel free to adopt that as a world standard!

Apr 30, 07 10:03 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

7/16" in ps. i believe that is standard, but don't quote me on that.

Apr 30, 07 10:11 am  · 
 · 
24out1in

15/32" in our case. don't ask me - i didn't set 'em up.

Apr 30, 07 11:30 am  · 
 · 
silverlake

The only standard to consider (at least in cali) is that Building Deptartments requires a min. of 1/8 text size.

Apr 30, 07 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

we use 1/2" dia. (paper space) for section tags, detail tags & drawing numbers in title blocks.

Apr 30, 07 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

I think the 1/8" text size(in paper space) is what drives most symbol sizes.

Apr 30, 07 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
freeBASEr

According to the AIA Drawing Standards the standard size is 5/8" dia. If you can get your hands on a copy, it'll have standard sizes for anything you can think of in a CD set. Of course you don't have to follow them, but it gives you a good starting point.

The 5/8" dia. was a little too big for our taste so we use 1/2" dia. also.

Apr 30, 07 8:49 pm  · 
 · 

interesting. try this

May 1, 07 12:17 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Thank you guys for your generous help. I got confirmed our firm is using 1/2" dia too.

May 2, 07 9:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: