Archinect
anchor

afraid of the GRID

I'm here working on a few projects with fairly rectilinear footprints, and was given a pre-determined grid for the structure. Now as usual I freeze up...can't design...hit a rut...the grid is just blankly looking at me daring me to try something, and I sit frozen.

is any else afraid of the grid?

any advice? Asside from turning off the grid layer.

Apr 28, 07 6:38 pm
squaresquared

The grid is your friend. Tame the grid. Don't be a slave to it.

But then again, who am I to talk? I'm in love with it.

Apr 28, 07 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

maybe try something sectionally? stacking things, moving sectionally using the grid in plan, but play in section... ceiling planes floor planes

and break from the grid in plan strategically when you have a good reason to? also maybe play with scales, volumes... big boxes vs. small boxes, formal moves vs. fields of elements? orders? ordering devces that obey the grid, and then ordering devices that have their own logic unrelated to the grid?

Apr 28, 07 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

is this a cooper union take home test?

Apr 28, 07 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
binary

rotate...sketch...rotate again...sketch....rotate...sketch....rotate...sketch...... then photocopy...then mirror.......

b

Apr 28, 07 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
TED

one of the 'any' series books by cynthia davidson had rem present a new concept/essay: the grid - maybe you should pick it up out of the lib to be certain of youself

Apr 29, 07 3:42 am  · 
 · 

TED i have most of the any books - will look through.

cryz - that's craz(y)

vado - yes...see architechno-version in the mail

bRink - makes sense I'll try. But the boundaries are fixed, I'll just be working on details

squaresquared...I dunno

Apr 29, 07 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

craig ellwood

Apr 29, 07 11:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: