Archinect
anchor

Seeking Job Advice

Kirkeron78

I am currently defending my thesis and wrapping up my M. Arch III at Virginia Tech. As a newlywed I see my wife and I struggling with the time requirements of a demanding office. We are currently looking in Wilmington, NC and internationally (I've read the posts about Barcelona and am a little concerned about Spain, but short of England this is the only other language I speak). Any advice about where I could look for an office with a higher quality of life and hopefully not a huge sacrifice in quality of work, would be very helpful. I've lived in NYC and we're considering N. Virginia, D.C., but would prefer to avoid long commutes and longer days at the office. I may be asking too much, but I concede to those with far more experience. We are very open about what cities might work, but prefer a warmer climate.

Thanks

Apr 28, 07 3:31 pm
Kirkeron78

To correct one of these high demands... No, not necessarily overseas, we'd be more than happy to live in the states, but we found Wilmington to have a rather high crime rate, and as time runs out we are lacking direction about what might be the best place to start out. I realize I am insane to expect to meet all of these expectations, but to roughly quote Goethe "To reach ones true potential you must overestimate your abilities."

So right...

Apr 28, 07 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
myriam
Wilmington

has a high crime rate?

You'd better give up on DC/Northern VA.

Apr 28, 07 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i would suggest talking to your profs.
they may have some good insights and, more importantly, be able to open of communication to some offices with references.

Apr 28, 07 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

the job market is always pretty good in atlanta. i know that all sorts of people in many other fields begin here and then leave. it is a stepping stone. plus, its pretty cheap depending.

Apr 28, 07 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
Kirkeron78

Thanks for all the good input. Yes Wilmington supposedly has a higher crime rate than quite a few areas in N. Va. including Reston and Vienna. The incidence of property crimes is 150% and the national avg. is in the 70s.

Apr 28, 07 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Why Wilimington, NC in the first place?

Apr 28, 07 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

but if you live in atlanta you have to make sure its not a sketchy part of town. i think decatur is pretty nice now and its close enough to midtown. go work for Scogn and Elam, their office is downtown so if you live around piedmont park the commute wont be that bad

Apr 29, 07 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
Kirkeron78

Thanks,

I actually spent some time in Atlanta during the Olympics and spent quite a bit of time first year doing design seminar reading about the problem of sprawl in Atlanta. I'll certainly look into it...

Apr 29, 07 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
Kirkeron78

Dear Archmed,

Wilmington... because.... Relatively close proximity to the beach a respectable year round climate without anything to outrageously high or low in terms of temperature and a college town where my wife can follow up her MBA with a PhD, hopefully.

Apr 29, 07 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

thats a quick reply to just say work for msme. they are rather hard to work for unless you're a gsd kid-cliche. anyways, there are quite a few corporate pseudo corporate firms around. and there are shady areas. but generally, its nice. the shady areas arent hard to find but they are easy to avoid.

Apr 29, 07 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

i figured Kirkeron would just like to know one of the more interesting practices down there, whats the harm in going for it?

Apr 29, 07 9:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: