Archinect
anchor

working in barcelona- is it really so bad?

phaus1

My wife is from barcelona and I'm from the states. We're planning on moving over there soon but I feel like all I hear about working in Barcelona, and Spain in general, is rather dire- poor salaries, impossible to get licensed.. But are these stories from young people with less experience and in need of a visa?

In my case I can live and work there because of my wife, and we can stay long term. I have 9 years experience, I'm licensed in the US, have a masters degree from a good school, and a little "starchitect" experience. My spanish is pretty OK, and I pick up some catalan from my wife. Any reason to think it might not be so bad after all?

Thanks!

Apr 27, 07 9:34 pm
Zoë Coombes

Make the move. Zoe and I always think about when will it be the right time to move to Barcelona. I have friends who have done this move and they never looked back. Barcelona is a great place and he quality of life is incredible. You might have to get used to the idea of less money but multiple vacation dates and long weekends.
Vinga capa Barcelona noi!
*I am Catalan (grew up mostly in the US) and my wife is from Toronto.

Apr 27, 07 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

with 9 years experience -including a starchitect in your CV-, a masters degree, fluid english (obvious in your case), enough spanish and some notions of catalan you will have problems to get a BAD job... I would say you have more chances to get a job in a GOOD office than I have, really...

Zoë, make that: "Vine cap a Barcelona, noi!" ["Come to Barcelona, boy!"]

Apr 28, 07 5:48 am  · 
 · 
phaus1

Moltes gracias- Thanks for the positive responses. I think we will go for it, I just need a little reassurance on occasion. It is much easier for me to imagine my future in the States, whereas in Spain there is a lot of uncertainty.

On one hand there is the issue of lower salaries, but how much lower? I don't live in NYC, so I'm not exactly at the top of the payscale in the US. Does anyone have a source of salary info for Barcelona or Spain in general? My wife got some info from a friend who works in Barcelona city hall, but it is a bit cryptic and only applies to government work.

Also, I have to imagine that, like in the states, once you get to a certain level of experience employers are more and more willing to give you incentive to stay on. At the office where I worked in Paris there was a lot of turnover among the foreigners on short-term contracts. But they still need stability and continuity at a certain level. And at a certain point in your career, the prestige of working in a famous office is just not enough by itself.

On the other hand, even if salaries are lower, there are a lot of living costs that are lower. Health insurance is a big one, as is day care and paid maternity and paternity leave. And of course more vacation time ( I miss those bridge holidays in the spring in France.) And then back to the main thing- great architecture and a government that promotes it.

Apr 29, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
filo

is this like one of those moments in hystory in which a concentration of energies and idea all float to the same place? i can't stop keep on meeting people who want to go to barcellona, and they go, and it works, somehow it works, but i really have no clue on how it work, it is stil cryptic though

Apr 30, 07 4:04 am  · 
 · 
Medit
On one hand there is the issue of lower salaries, but how much lower?

if you do a search on "Barcelona" here in the Archinect forums you'll find plenty of threads about salaries, firms and life costs in BCN... at least I know there was one specifically about salaries.

Apr 30, 07 4:27 am  · 
 · 
amit dixit

I have got an offer from UIC ESARQ Barcelona, for the M.Arch in Genetic Architectures program for the year 2008. I am planning to join the institute but have few questions regarding the post academic scenerio in the Barcelona.

I dont know how easy is to get a job in a good firm in Barcelona. I also have no clue about any firms there. If somebody can suggest me few firms and also can give me some suggesions on the program and the architectural scene of Barcelona that will be a great help to me.

May 4, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
amit dixit

"any answers?"

May 4, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

again, there are various threads about firms in BCN, do some search in the forums...

most relevant firms are here, though: Arq BCN

May 4, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: