Archinect
anchor

job search methods/websites

jamiekleine

I am currently applying to jobs and am wondering if anyone knows of any other websites that have good job listings in the architecture or design field. I'm looking for something entry level and have tried Archinect obviously, Craigslist, Indeed.com and Internmatch. 

If anyone knows of anything else and could share, I would really appreciate it! I am also curious to know if it's a good idea to send a resume or portfolio out to firms I am interested in interning for even if they haven't posted an available position.

Thanks!!

Sep 6, 12 1:13 am
x-jla

one method is to hire a hooker to have sex with the owner of the firm that you want to work at.  You will hide in the closet and take pics.  Then pop put and threaten to send those pics to the wife of the owner if they don't give you a job. 

The other method is jobing.com

Sep 6, 12 2:35 am  · 
 · 
kubo

If you are open to moving for work, try world-architects.com and its many branch websites like chinese-architects.com, etc. If you want to stay firmly local, try your AIA chapter's job board. And yes, spam your resume/portfolio out to every interesting firm in your city and see if you can get any responses. Unlikely, but you never know. 

Sep 6, 12 9:12 am  · 
 · 
Maria M

Jamie, I live in Europe so can’t advice on American websites – I’m surprised there are no recruitment agencies specializing in construction?

As for “speculative” letters – they might work as long as you spend a bit of time researching the company and tailor your letter to their work. Don’t send out letters that look like a template. Mention their project. Say why you think you might be a good addition to their team. If possible, address the letter to a person who is dealing with recruitment…

Good luck!

Sep 6, 12 10:36 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

I would stick to paper.  Send a letter and 1-3 page sample portfolio by mail.  Don't drop it off in person because the sec. will probably put it in a pile somewhere.  Mail it to the Firm owner with their name in the envelope, so that the letter has to be opened by him/her.  It is too easy to disregard an email, you need to stand out.

Sep 6, 12 11:50 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

linkedin can be a good way to network your way into a job. Also, hang around AIA functions and talk to as many senior-looking people you can non-obnoxiously approach. Impress them with how personable, clever, ambitious, and talented you are. Serve on volunteer boards and that sort of thing. If desperate, make cold calls and buy people lunch.

In other words, do all the same sorts of things you would do to get clients.

Combing through job listings is mostly a waste of time, IMHO. Most job openings these days get filled before they ever reach the point of a public listing. And once listed, the competition will be stiff.

Sep 6, 12 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Try: http://careercenter.aia.org/

Sep 6, 12 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
jamiekleine

Thanks all for your input! always helpful :)

Sep 6, 12 3:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: