Archinect
anchor

advise on Job hunt #2

jenn

So I've had my first real 'post-grad' job for about a year now, and i'm ready to move on, but i don't really know where to start. I went on alot of interviews when I had no experiance, so I had that down pretty well. Can anyone tell me what to expect the second time around?

Beyond that I'm concerned about a portfolio. Is it not as important as when you're fresh out of school? or more important? should I be making a new one? And considering I haven't really designed much as an intern what should I/ can I take from my current employer as work samples? I think I should at least show something as an example of Technical skills I did not have a year ago. I will really appreciate any and all advise you have for me.

Apr 26, 07 2:54 am
mdler

it sounds like you are more or less on the right track. As your second job out of school, I suggest that you really find a firm that you want to work for and go for it. Dont switch jobs just for the sake of switching jobs at this point (it is much easier to get a job while you have one). If you do find an office where you think you may want to work, try to cater your portfolio to the needs and philosophy of the office...if they do digital, show digital, etc...

There is nothing wrong with asking your current employer what their policy on including work that you have done in their office in your portfolio. Most future employers would like to see how you can work in an office, so this is important.

BTW, alot is actually two words - a lot.

Apr 26, 07 3:25 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

Also - what you seek is "advice" !

Most employers aren't going to be overwhelmed by one year of work experience - unless you have a lot to show for it. They're going to want to see more than your student portfolio.

Apr 26, 07 7:19 am  · 
 · 
4arch

Take half-size sets of a few of the most important projects you've worked on and point out the things you were responsible for. I'm not crazy about the idea of putting photos of projects in your portfolio if you didn't play a major design role.

Apr 26, 07 8:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: