Archinect
anchor

smoooooth sailin'

myriam

Some days it seems like we architects are doomed to a life spent chasing the 8-ball. No matter how auspiciously a project starts, invariably the process seems to unravel, leaving us feeling like we're left to clean up after the action instead of lay down the path for it.

We've all been there--you take the time to annotate the perfect bid set, walk the contractor through every step of the project in multiple bidding meetings, and 8 months later in the middle of construction you find out they left a $25,000 item entirely out of the budget and the client feels you've lied to him. You put together a perfect set, take your 5 bound copies down to the construction trailer, and find that they've already started building off the bid set. Your client raves about you to dinner party acquaintances but mysteriously stops paying halfway through the project.

It's all got me wondering... is it possible for a project to go perfectly well? Have you ever had a project that was more or less smooth sailing? If so, what specific things did you do that helped create that situation?

Thanks for your answers.

Apr 24, 07 11:30 pm

when you have a big deadline, you invariably put off things for other project until AFTER that deadline so that you can focus. too bad when that deadline ends up being a false one - and you now have even more work to do for that project and it gets extended to another deadline a week on. what to do with the things you've been putting off? at the end of a day, instead of crossing things off the list, the list has gotten longer.

^^^ my yesterday, my week, my april, my 2007.

Apr 25, 07 7:25 am  · 
 · 
4arch

I thinght this was going to be a thread about sailing.

Apr 25, 07 7:41 am  · 
 · 
myriam

wow, has no one other than old fogey ever had a smooth project?!?!

eek.

Apr 26, 07 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

more likely we all have unrealistic expectations.

Apr 26, 07 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

i'm afraid to experience the architectural process of construction without the hitches and bumps along the way...f*ck knows i'm anticipating them.

Apr 26, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I just finished a project that was pretty much smooth sailing. Two important factors:

1. A really great GC who uses a really flawless group of subs, all of whom I've worked with before. They all work hard, and they are all accustomed to the high demands of both the owner and me.

2. An utterly fantastic client. This was the best client ever. They didn't nitpick every change with "What will it cost?". They trusted us (and we proved our trustworthiness) to be fair with them. They demand perfection but understand that means paying for it. When one insurmountable scheduling issue came up, they accepted it with good grace, and thus we all worked 4x as hard to get it done as we all felt such good will toward them.

As Fogey said, problems are inevitable. When a problem came up in this job, we took care of it, and no one (owner included) had a temper tantrum, we all just focused on solving the issue.

Lots of referral work from this one wahoo!

We run our practice on honesty: in pretty much every job cost meeting I've had, I tell the owner to expect to pay at least that much and more; when the contractor proposes eight weeks of construction I tell the owner to prepare for 14, etc. We have lost jobs by being honest about what things will cost, but I hate the drama of getting the job on one price knowing full well it will be more - and lots of contractors out there use that as a business plan!

Apr 27, 07 10:53 am  · 
 · 
e

myriam, perfect project do come along. it does happen. i think folks here have already hit on the key points to making that happen: great clients and collaborators and yes honesty. everytime i have a client praise me for a great project, i turn it right back on them and i praise them. they should never, nor should we, underestimate their value to the project. good projects are rarely possible without great clients. you can be the best designer in the world, but if your client sucks, your work probably won't be that great either. i can not stress enough the importance of interviewing a client as intently as they are interviewing you when considering your for a job. just because someone offers you work, it does not mean you should accept it.

i've had clients/collaborators apologize for problems in a job. while i appreciate their thoughtful words [and as others have said], problems happen. what makes a difference in the job is what you do in the face of those problems. keep your head up.

Apr 27, 07 11:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: