Archinect
anchor

so I don't have a california license..

pourstone

and I've been commisioned to do a renovation of a historic building (masonry, wood structure), would it be possible for me to do this project without needing an architect's stamp, and only just an engineering stamp and approval from the city?

Apr 19, 07 12:40 am

your state board should be very specific about this. your local permitting agency will be as well. i'd check with both: one so you don't get yourself in trouble, the other to know what will get you a permit.

usually you're ok for residential and for commercial under a certain size/sf.

Apr 19, 07 7:36 am  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

usually in cali - the deal is that if the public are able to step foot into yuor building then u need to have a stamp...i think the max square footage is 10,000

Apr 19, 07 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Also, make sure that you haven't been in some way holding yourself out as a licensed architect. You probably haven't, but the CAB loves to pillory those who do.

Apr 19, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 

you have to be associated with a licensed architect and fill out this form, i think. best to call cab. no pun..;.)

Apr 19, 07 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Also, besides the licensing issues one of the favorite things that CAB fines people for is practicing without a contract. In CA it's illegal to so much as do a sketch or start researching site and regulatory issues without a signed contract with the client that covers a very specific list of points. CAB is one of the most aggressive boards in the US in terms of fining even the tiniest of infractions, so be very thorough about determining what you can and can't do there, what you can and can't call yourself (so much as using the word "architectural" in a letter or titleblock has gotten people fined thousands) and in adhering to their rules about contracts and such.

Apr 19, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

in addition to state req's, from personal experience i know that municipal agencies vary greatly in their req's...i.e. SF vs. LA vs. Central Valley.

best check with local requirements too, as they may have add'l items of which to be aware.

Apr 19, 07 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
igloominaire

Check out section 5537, on page 9, of the CA Architects Practice Act - http://www.cab.ca.gov/pdf/act2007.pdf
which lays out pretty clearly what structures are exempt from requiring the responsible control of an architect or engineer.

Bottom line, if it's not woodframe, residential of limited size, or a farm building, you need a license. No commercial structure is exempt. Aside from the use, depending on the extent and structural relevance of it, the masonry may also be problematic for you.

If still in doubt, call the CAB.

Apr 26, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: