Archinect
anchor

my dilema.....

binary

i have this vision of creating products for everyone...whethter you are rich/middle class/poor/etc.......over the years i have been trying to do as much architecture as possible through the construction process..i.e. design/build but have come to realize that i'm really getting burnied out from all the nickle/dime shit....... i have always been a human scale person...meaning items that are relative to a person....furniture/products/etc..... these items i can prototype myself and turn into production if i can get my shit together here...... so with that said and done, i think i might have to really focus on that and step away from architecture....... for me, architecture seems like a rich mans/womens hobby..... only these people can afford the product that architects can deliver...sure i can do a half ass building and get a few bucks for it...but i hate putting out shitty work....... so, from here on out, i think it would be in my best interests to develop my own product lines and embark in a realm that really suits my feelings...... i like architecture but dont have the patience for it.....or the time...... or the strive for it anymore...... even though i am already labelled as an architect by those that dont know and that i just have a 5year b.a. in arch, i have a passion for other ways of design....... not sure if these are valid points but i'm just not satisfied with my life right now and need to make a change........

b

Apr 18, 07 11:35 pm
quixotica

cryzko - I feel the same as you sometimes my friend. I also happen to be in a similar position as you in some respects (working a regular arch job while starting my own graphic design / clothing company) But if you want to do architecture on a more human scale, it's out there man. There is so much need out there for architects to serve the under served, the needy, the ones who need it most. You just have to make it that way. I'm still a little pumped cause I just got back from the SFI7 conference that was all about design/build and using it to serve those most in need and the one thing one woman said at the end of it really stuck with me "You can't let anyone tell you how to practice, architecture can be a really powerful thing if you let it". Maybe i completely missed the point of your post but i find myself frustrated with the way things are in our field a lot too. But if it's what you really want to do, you just have to change the field and make it your own. If you want to step away from architecture to focus on other things, that's your choice, but don't do it because it's oriented to the rich, i's people with your kind of passion, energy and drive that need to turn this field into what we want it to be.

Apr 18, 07 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Furniture design is just small-scale architecture. Do it and don't feel like you're abandoning architecture just because you aren't redlining CDs.

Apr 18, 07 11:53 pm  · 
 · 

wow, i'm really glad you posted this thread. serving those who truly need it is definitely my primary concern within architecture. one of the reasons i'm so drawn to architecture is because the need for shelter is so universal. i won't be starting architecture school until this fall so it's going to be a long road before i accomplish anything and i know it's going to be really hard because everything comes down to money. you need money for materials, to build, to live. so how do we serve the underserved without becoming underserved ourselves??? i'm committing to an expensive education but i'll care less if, in the end, i can contribute to society for the greater good. but if it's going to be as THAT hard, how do i push through it all without becoming disillusioned?

sorry, i don't mean to make this about me. i'm really talking about everyone who has similar goals to mine.

Apr 19, 07 12:21 am  · 
 · 

b you've mentioned the classic dilemma that affects many architects particularly those in the adolescence of their careers and it is the need to change the scale of their practice.

I fully understand having mostly worked on civic projects for the last 7+ years with dehumanised clients made mostly of associations. Now finding myself needing to simplify life and career. I am now hungry to work on a few residential scaled projects something i've only once done before. And it still remains unbuilt.

If it is that your architectural soul needs to reinvent itself - go for it

Apr 19, 07 12:28 am  · 
 · 
binary

damn... i would haved thought that others would have felt the same way........i guess everyone is happy

b

Apr 19, 07 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

design tents

Apr 20, 07 3:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: