Archinect
anchor

How to gain exp if mostly everybody wants 3+ yr

Hello,

I was wondering what is the easiest way to land a job when almost everybody is seeking minimum of 3 years exp. I recently graduated with a B.Arch but, haven't had much luck finding an opening with my qualifications.

Any advice will help.

Thanks

Aug 29, 12 2:35 pm
zonker

It's unfair isn't it? - jeez ya know I was out of work too, and I just volunteered, worked for free - anything to gain experience and all the while redoing my portfolio and attending network events at the AIA - ya just gotta get creative and do what it takes ya know. Architects are problem solvers and your new design assignment is to find a job - be self reliant

Aug 29, 12 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Start to look for work in similar fields ( Interiors, Planning, Landscape Architecture, Graphics ... its all related ).  If they do work with other architects, and chances are they do, cozy up to them during collaboration meetings and get to know them.  Let them know you "speak their language" and develop a network.

Aug 29, 12 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
proteus

I realize how difficult it is, but getting creative should not involve working for free. You make it harder for yourself and anyone else trying to find legitimate PAYING employment. 

Never work for free.

Aug 29, 12 7:37 pm  · 
 · 

unless you are working for free creatively.  then its ok.  totally fine actually.  probably get bonus points even.

Aug 29, 12 9:14 pm  · 
 · 

Xenakis is right. It's a competitive profession and you need to do whatever it is that you need to do to get your foot in the door.  Even without a job you can build your narrative by getting involved in any way possible.  We don't really have a term for this in architecture but, just for comparison's sake, a lot of successful people in sports got their starts by being what they call a "gym rat."   They started with nothing but gained there experience by always, relentlessly, every day without fail being down at the gym (or field or whatever) watching, learning, offering to help, etc.

Yo!

Aug 30, 12 10:06 am  · 
 · 
zonker

It was the same way in the video game industry where I came from - we had "studio rats" - people who would work their way up from IT or game testing - take classes at Academy of Art or Art Institute - produce a demo reel and get noticed, then become game designers or environment artists. In competitive professions you always must be thinking ahead and going the extra mile -you have to push yourself - our natural tendencies just aren't good enough for architecture - 

Aug 30, 12 11:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: