Archinect
anchor

Calling all Code Breakers and Archi-Sleuths

from www.p-a-t-t-e-r-n-s.net
projects > commercial > sunset boutique
(pictures on the site and description below)

Can someone PLEASE decipher this for us? This project description was brought to my attention on Friday by a close friend. I'm not sure, but I think it's trying hard to be avant-garde.

----------

8746 Sunset Boutique
Project Type: High end retail store
Site: Sunset Boulevard, West Hollywood, California, US
Size: 7000 Sqft / 700 m2
Client: Private
Team members:
Marcelo Spina and Georgina Huljich Principals in charge
Courtenay Bauer Project Architect; Marcus Friesl Project Manager; James Vincent, Matt Majack, Daniel Wolfe and Alex Webb, Project Designers
Facade Fabrication: 3Form

Based on a radical geometric contextualism, our concept for the 8746 Sunset Blvd attempts to produce an architecture of subtle sensations by inducing a physical and optical dynamism that both challenge and enhance the movement of the body. The formal logic of the facade is the outcome of a productive negotiation between geometric operations governed by the column grid of the existing building and driven by spatial conditions allowed by the singularity of the adjacent context.

The spatial performance of the store is based on the bending effect of two reciprocally ruled surfaces: the facade that bends inside up and the pliant stair that bends outside down, create a magnetic field that gravitates towards the interior. The bent facade operates as a responsive skin that by means of local inflections senses the dynamics of pedestrian activity on the sidewalk and nearby strip. The interior bent surface fluidly shreds into steps allowing the emergence of a differential hybrid that operates as a stair and display system at the same time.

----------

One almost doesn't need to even see the pictures to have a good time with this one. But, in Marcelo's defense, maybe I'm not seeing it as much as is being described. Please reference the pictures on the patterns site if you are going to attempt to be critical. Otherwise, let the fun begin :)

Apr 15, 07 3:08 am

for one its WAY out of scale with that building to the left of it. Nonetheless like you alluded to, the downfall of the project is the explanation.

Apr 15, 07 3:48 am  · 
 · 

also remarkable is that they fit 4no. stair cases in that almost tiny space

Apr 15, 07 3:50 am  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

my translation:

"based on some nifty shapes that sort of relate to what we saw nearby, we tried to make a building that made you feel cool when you walked through it by keeping you off balance, uncomfortable, surprised, and intrigued. the facade was generated by working with the given column grid and paying attention to some unique aspects of adjacent buildings, but using shiny materials and injecting these cues from the surroundings with a greater coolness factor (with us as the arbiters of cool).

"the appearance of the space of the store is affected by some curves and striations we made in the storefront and at the stairway that relate to each other because they are similar in both places. the storefront does something when people walk by or through it, which should freak them out and make them pay attention to the building. the floor extends right to the steps and the strips of floor that make up the steps are extruded around at an angle to make space that can also be used for display."

Apr 15, 07 8:14 am  · 
 · 

archi: "striations and staircases" might be a good monograph title.

npc: damn dude... that is such an honest translation. it actually makes me so much more interested in the building. if only architects would tone it down a bit and stop one-uping themselves.

all other translations welcome, please help us understand this one :)

Apr 15, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 

I think per hit the nail on the head with that one

Apr 15, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

wow, npc must've found some archi-speak translate now button.

Apr 15, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

arbiter might still be on the archi babble tip

Apr 15, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

arbiter is 9 months removed from the archi babble tip. that's why this archi-saurus amalgamation of academia and practice... of virtual and actual... of text and image... of advanced guard and old guard... seems to be pretentious diction--in dire need of normalization, ie. translation.

Apr 15, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: