Archinect
anchor

new york archinecters: favorite multi-use tower bars?

kdollaghan

hey guys!!
i'm doing this project on multi-use towers, and tonight my group is doing a "tower bar crawl" (in nyc) and making a little movie out of it. do any of you new yorkers have any favorite bars that are in towers, or just favorite towers in ny? suggestions would be greatly valued!

Apr 13, 07 11:57 am
Francisco David Boira

I don't know if you could fully consider this a tower, but it is one of the tallest buildings on the lower east side. It’s the Rivington Hotel on Rivington St. It has a pretty cool bar.
Anyways, if you make it there before 8pm you guys should be able to get in. Doorman (ie: Bouncer) gets picky on who's worth their business.
It's has a nice lounge area with plenty of Marcel Wanders furniture to sit on and test drive ; )

Apr 13, 07 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

isn't diller and scofidio's bar in a tower?

Apr 13, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

60 Thompson has a great bar...if that's a tower?

Apr 13, 07 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
kdollaghan

thanks for the suggestions!!! i've heard that the rivington is really cool...

lars - they redid one of the seagrams bldg restaurants. i think it was in the last season of sex in the city a lot. anyways it's supposed to be great...
i'm just excited about the lever house.

Apr 13, 07 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

It's a little cheesy and out of fashion at this point, but the Hudson Hotel has a nice outdoor bar. Not sure if it's open for the season yet. The interior bar is simultaneously titillating and irritating.

It's not in a tower, but the best bar in NYC is, hands-down, The Pencil Factory in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Check it out if you decide to do a project on brownstone pubs in Brooklyn.

Apr 13, 07 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

maybe someone can help me out with this, but there's a hotel in the herald square area, just west of Broadway somewhere around 34th-36th, that has a rooftop bar close to the empire state. terrible area, but good views. i remember it not really being advertised that well either, just sort of went in to the lobby and got on the elevator

Apr 13, 07 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
geimanj

There's the 25th st rooftop bar, Top of the Rock, the place around 34th Phuyaka mentioned and Library Bar. You can also go up to the sky bar in the Mandarin Oriental hotel in the Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle. Beware though, beers are like $10.

Apr 13, 07 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

phuyaka: You're thinking about the bar on top of the LaQuinta Inn on (I think) 32nd Street. I only know about the bar because I stayed at that hotel last year.

Apr 13, 07 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
waterhouse

There's Brasserie 8 1/2 under Nine West 57th street (great Bunshaft highrise).

And the not-for-locals revolving Marriott Marquis bar.

I recall that there's something at the Beekman on the east side but nothing exciting.

Apr 13, 07 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
waterhouse

Oh yeah, and that hotel Phuyaka's talking about I believe is Hotel Metro. Great view.

Apr 13, 07 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i remember going to a swank Korean bar in a tower back in the day...that was the night that I was introduced to scotch, so the exact location was somewhat fuzzy

Apr 13, 07 9:09 pm  · 
 · 

Living in Gin: I went to that LaQuinta Inn. They have a worms-eye view of the Empire State Building. Simply stunning.

I don't remember my taxi ride home...

Apr 13, 07 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
kdollaghan

haaaaaaha... thanks guys. we postponed until tomorrow cuz everyone was sick today. will report back on your suggestions!

Apr 13, 07 11:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: