Archinect
anchor

for the rejected...

DrNo

any sound advice for those not accepted to arch school yet wish to try again?

revamping the portfolio, additional reading/studies on own and delving deeper into design software seem to be obvious goals, but I am wondering how else to heighten my chances. i.e. - senators or benefactors of the college to write my letters of recommendation and other social minutae....

Apr 13, 07 9:19 am

after the dust settles, you might see if you can contact members of the admissions committee(s) and ask them to describe what they saw as shortcomings.

if you find someone willing to help, be nice and NOT defensive. take notes.

Apr 13, 07 9:36 am  · 
 · 
Japhy

I would recommend doing one of the Intro Architecture programs this summer (UCLA, Harvard, Columbia, etc.).......it seems to have helped a lot of other people in your situation. Here's more info: link or link

Apr 13, 07 9:42 am  · 
 · 
Buckity

I agree with SW...and feel free to ask what would best help your chances of getting in the next year. Some places might be more impressed if you are published in a student publication/journal than if you make a lot of progress with software.

Apr 13, 07 9:44 am  · 
 · 

what steven says sounds like good advice.

software probably won't do it. maybe trying some competitions and doing it in a way that pushes your comfort zone, so you can get out of the kind of work that is already in the portfolio (and presumably not up to snuff)...may help. hard to do though. my guess is that merely re-presenting old work is NOT going to impress anyone though...

of the people who always impressed me back in grad school it was the students who really did not care what the professors thought, nor what grade they would get and just focused on the work and doing something really really good. often in very crazy and inventive ways, breaking rules on purpose and doing their best to get a zero...but always working very hard on it, too...those guys (and gals) ALWAYS made interesting, unique projects that were a cut above the rest...and incidentally ALWAYS got the top marks.

Apr 13, 07 10:01 am  · 
 · 
med.

I also agree with SW. Keyword is be polite and professional. And in doing so, call and talk with the chair of the program (who usually heads the admissions committee) about how you fell short of their admission process. Tell them you understand your rejection and ask how you can better your chances for the next time. But also tell them how interested you still are about their programs and ask how you can better your chances next time you apply and what you can do in the meantime. Remember act very polite and professional. You may just be in for a pleasant surprise and they might even offer you provisional entry into their program.

How many programs did you apply for and what schools?

Apr 13, 07 10:04 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

Rejected(sung to the melody of alice cooper's "elected" from the awesome lp billion dollar babies...

We're the top prime arch school from the ivy league, I'm your choice
But you been rejected
We got CNC machines and starchitects
But you been rejected
Kids want to be artists, there are heroes to emulate
but you been rejected
You're all gonna weep when you learn your fate
you been rejected, rejected, rejected
I never lied to you, I've always been cool
bu you been rejected
the truth is kid you dont cut the cloth of this school
you been rejected, rejected, rejected....

Apr 13, 07 11:26 am  · 
 · 

classic.

Apr 13, 07 11:37 am  · 
 · 

Take each project in your portfolio and try to do two or three things to make the actual project better, then try to make the presentation of it better.

Apr 13, 07 11:39 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

dude...
this is really getting to you isn;t? Is it as bad as all that...that you need Alice Cooper reduxes!

I was rejected too ( ives mostly)...I think it was my GRE ( 480 v 650q), so I am trying a prep course.....I am over it mostly...

I wish I could afford a fancy summer program...but will probably do a competition..and ask my old professors to critique...

weird how I now appreciate critism more ...

Apr 13, 07 11:39 am  · 
 · 
DrNo

many thanks for the feedback. quite helpful.

Apr 13, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
perturbanist

for the rejected...rejoice in another year of freedom!

Apr 13, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: