Archinect
anchor

business?

as emptying my wallet to go abroad tonight of all the so called valuables, i got the empty wallet syndrome ... you know, when your overloaded card slots are so emptied that they can't even fit two to three cards without them falling out at the spot... the only solution for me was to fill the void with a bunch of business cards. Anyway, it got me thinking what the value of acutally having them was ... kind of like the sweets catalouges in college were only circumstantially of value since they were a good prop for your drafting desk or flattening out those site models to hold the glue down.

is the business card obsolete? i can understand the value for principals, or anyone out seeking jobs professionally or by chance for a firm, but for your average person in a firm, even up to project architect and manager types, hasn't e-mail and the internet irradicated virtually all of this? I've probably only given my card out 10 times in 5 years, and it always seems like an out of date formality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoIvd3zzu4Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGOohBytKTU

also, i seem to see "Leed AP" at the end of the title of virtually every "associate" level person at this level who is not a registered architect ... what is up with this? there seems to be a myriad of reasons to do this (the person wants to have some sort of 'creds, the firm wants to seem more "green" or to have more qualified individuals) ... but it seems just as sensical to put "XX degree, architecture" at the end of your title, since this really makes you more qualified to be an "architect" than "Leed AP" ... i'm not trying to mock the LEED at all, i'm just mocked more by the more professional "corporate" firms use of the title. Seriously, you could be a "Leed AP" and be shite as an architect and not even have the formal training, but this is being passed of as being qualified as a "green" architect.

Apr 13, 07 4:45 am
mdler

they are good for handing out to girls at a bar...unless they say architect on them, that is

Apr 13, 07 6:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: