Archinect
anchor

Need Help: Need architects to reply

Plastic-Glass

I'm currently a senior in HS and I need to research for my english project. We have to make an interview or email research with people who are associated with the career of my major, which is Architecture.

I have several questions I have to ask regarding your jobs and my future. If you can't post it here, you can always email me. I'm sorry for posting this message in a rush, but I need some advice from Real-LIfe Architects.

You dont need to answer them all. I wish I can talk to you all face to face, but time becomes my enemy no:(
----------- the questions include --------------
1. describe your job: (title, responsibility, what you do, reqs)
2. Education needed for the job
3. job experience necessary for the job
4. what you like about working
5. what is most fulfilling
6. What do you like Least about your job
7. what is least fulfilling
8. what are the current and future oppurtunities for your job?
9. are there other career path to get to your position? like Master in civil or M.arch or M.U.D
10. What english skill do I need for this job.

THank you all for your help!

Apr 12, 07 1:50 am
Nevermore

10 quid per answer.

Apr 12, 07 2:00 am  · 
 · 
Plastic-Glass

10 QUid? I'm in US not Britain. Please help me anyone?

Apr 12, 07 10:34 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

That would make it about $13.50 then...hehe

Apr 12, 07 10:40 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Correction...about $20.

Apr 12, 07 10:42 am  · 
 · 
Plastic-Glass

:( Nevermind then. I'll ask around for architects in other forums...

Apr 12, 07 10:43 am  · 
 · 
difficultfix

I will answer a question...Although I am not an Architect, But I am an Architectural Student..

Question 2. You need a 5 year B ARCH or an M. Arch, Which ever you choose make sure they are accredited by the National Architecture Accrediting Board...www.naab.org

Apr 12, 07 10:51 am  · 
 · 
Plastic-Glass

thanks!

Apr 12, 07 10:52 am  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Also look

www.narcb.org

they have more information towards the license procedures to becomming an architect, an information on Internship experience (IDP) that will count towards your licensing.

Apr 12, 07 10:56 am  · 
 · 
difficultfix

sorry typo

www.ncarb.org

thats the correct spelling now

Apr 12, 07 10:56 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

I will answer the questions, I was just playing around. Just didn't have the time/mental capacity to answer them so early in the morning.

Apr 12, 07 11:12 am  · 
 · 
alfrejas24

Hey I have a favor to ask from all you professionals but I'm going to get all snippy when you guys don't drop everything and give me real answers and instead at like those immature juniors in my HS and threaten to ask other forums.

Moral of the story....being kind and gracious when you ask someone for a their time and opinoin.

Apr 12, 07 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Not an architect, but a disgruntled CAD monkey...

1. describe your job: CAD Monkey, must be able to stare at CRT monitor a minimum of 10 hours a day, work through migrane headaches and carpal tunnel.

2. Education needed for the job: Not much. Must know AutoCAD, must know ass from hole in ground.

3. job experience necessary for the job: Nil

4. what you like about working: $$$

5. what is most fulfilling: My job is not fulfilling

6. What do you like Least about your job: Basically, my job.

7. what is least fulfilling: Same as above

8. what are the current and future oppurtunities for your job? Free coffee, free email, free internet. I can look for a new job while at my current job.

9. are there other career path to get to your position? like Master in civil or M.arch or M.U.D: High school diploma or G.E.D.

10. What english skill do I need for this job: Basic familiarity. I can't spell.

Apr 12, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

1. describe your job: (title, responsibility, what you do, reqs)Architectural Designer (CAD Monkey with a modicum of responsibility). Generic desk job really.

2. Education needed for the job:
Basic arithmatic, knowledge of building materials (nominal vs. actual) is what is needed for day to day work. As far as official education goes, B.S. or B.A. in Architectural Studies (4yr) at min. B.Arch (5yr) or M.Arch required for eventual licensure, if want to be an official "architect".

Nope

On the good days, feeling like I'm doing something creative and making someone else's life better. On the not so good days, $$$, free coffee and the internet get me through.

Seeing someone happy/grateful with something I've done and figuring out complex details.

Our profession is constrained by people who aren't in it. (Zoning boards, Historical committees, Developers...etc) Watching others who aren't in the profession do our jobs and donkey it up because they don't know what they are doing.

Being a whore to developers.

my current job...not many, maybe project manager. The field in general, teaching is the main one that interests me.

9. are there other career path to get to your position? like Master in civil or M.arch or M.U.D
Considering I'm a CAD Monkey, operating a phone or just asking probably would have sufficed.
Already answered about the M.Arch.
Civil or U.D. (I'm assuming Urban Design) are different fields. Engineers aren't Architects and Architects aren't Engineers. Oh, and Landscape Architects are not Urban Planners, nor are Architects for that matter. While you can take different paths to architecture, the odds of becoming a good one are significantly lower. (Yes, I know Ando was a boxer)

Skills. Proper spelling and good grammar. Bad spelling will kill you in any profession.

Apr 12, 07 2:15 pm  · 
 · 

alright, as you can see us archinector's don't like to do other people's homework for them... since this seems like a little bit different situation, and i have some time, i'll give you some serious answers...

1. I'm not currently working in a traditional architecture job. I work in the Capital Improvements department of my local municipal government. My title is Senior Capital Projects Coordinator. Essentially my job is to coordinate between all of the different parties (user group, architect, contractor, City Council, etc.) to each project that I work on. I hire the architects and contractors and guide the project in all phases from the development of program and budget through construction to the ribbon cutting and post-occupancy analysis.

2. A professional degree (B.Arch. or M.Arch) in architecture or related field.

3. Experience in all phases of architectural projects. Experience with on-site construction issues is particularly important. I worked in a traditional architecture firm for about 4 years prior to this job.

4. The salary for my job is much more than I was making in a traditional architecture job. But the main benefits are that I get to work on a lot of different types of projects. In the past two years my main projects have been a new public pool, a new recreation center, a 21 unit affordable housing complex, and a large "boundless" playground. I've also had a lot of smaller projects of various types thrown in between the time spent on my major projects.

5. Seeing a project completed. The completion of my projects in this job has been more fulfilling than in traditional practice because each of my projects impacts the public in a major way. I'll never forget seeing the kids playing at the grand opening ceremony for the playground that I built.

6. As in any government job there is a lot of bureaucracy. I always seem to get the most politically sensitive projects that my department builds, so each one has different players that want to put their fingerprints on the project.

7. Having other people (Mayor, City Council, etc) take credit for work that they really had nothing to do with.

8. If I stay in this job for much longer I will probably be department manager (overseeing 4 people in my current position) and eventually department director. However, I won't be around long enough for that to happen because I'm probably going to pursue a Ph.D. next year.

9. There are 4 people (including me) that have the same job title as me. 2 of us are trained as architects. The other 2 are trained as landscape architects. The projects are typically divided up as you would expect with the archies taking the vertical construction projects and the 'scapers doing the more park related stuff. My boss was educated as an architect but worked with contractors.

10. Fluent English is a must. A little bit of Spanish would be a bonus as with any construction job (in the US at least). Since my jobs tend to be politically sensitive (as mentioned above) I have to be eloquent and comfortable speaking in public since I often have to make presentations to City Council, the Mayor, and the public. I occasionally have to talk to the media as well. I think the fact that I am able to do this is the reason that I end up with the more important projects.

Apr 12, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

1. describe your job: (title, responsibility, what you do, reqs)
-----Designer in an Architectural firm, picking up redlines - designing libraries.zoo's.fire & police staions.train staion platforms - small project management and construction administration jobs(for IDP)
what i do is pretty much explained above but i use programs like Autocad.Revit.sketch-up.word.excel.photoshop.indesign.illustrator.and that about it
2. Education needed for the job
-----i have a 5-year Bachelor degree(architecture) from a private school(NYIT)
-----i feel an architect should be experienced working in the field(construction-hands on-see how the building is put toogether) they should also be familiar w/ Autocad(the most common drafting TOOL today)
-----i like that i am able to design the spaces that many people all over the world can inhabit. also i like that through sustainable design i am able to do something for the better of the planet and our ecosystem
-----when a project you have been working on is being erected - and even more fufilling when people inhabit my designs
-----that i am at the bottom of the todum pole :-(
-----that there are other architects in the world that dont give a shit about what they design and how it impacts every part of the world we live in - and the world our grandchildren MIGHT live in one day
-----well once i complete the ARE i will be availible for a project mgmt postion which could enable me to become an associate or associate partner w/ the firm - and of course more $$$ but thats the least of my worries
-----you actually dont need an eduacation at all to become an architect...at least in California...you have to work for a licenseed architect for 8+years and then take the ARE to get your license, and poof! your an architect...may not be the best architect...may be a starchitect...may be somewhere in the middle...but some of the best architects to ever design a building never went to architecture school(CORBUSIER, FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT, and a bunch more i cant remember right now) but these architects have helped change the face of architecture as we see it today.
-----the english skills you need for MY job...good english skills - you dont need to be an Ayn Rand, or a Hemingway or anything but you need to comunicate w/ clients and consultants on the phone, in person and through email...i didnt do very well in school w/ my english courses - i made it through there by the skin of my teeth...but i can communicate w/ the people i need to
-sometimes a job might require you to know some spanish or another language b/c the client might be overseas or they just can t speak english

Apr 12, 07 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
Plastic-Glass

Thank you you all for helping me. Sorry for my bad english.

"alright, as you can see us archinector's don't like to do other people's homework for them... since this seems like a little bit different situation, and i have some time, i'll give you some serious answers..." - Yea, you're right... I shouldn't have come in here so abruptly asking these long Tedious questions... esp in the morning.

THanks Again!

Apr 12, 07 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: