Archinect
anchor

FAR in high density cities

Gotan

Hi,
I am looking at FAR in high density cities...
any idea if there is a chart floating somewhere in the internet about the average FAR in cities like Tokyo, Hong Kong, NYC (Manhattan), etc..?

Apr 11, 07 11:44 pm
LaBoule

I did that for a studio, but we determined these numbers by ourselves and in a relatively short space (I mean 250m*120m which was our lot's size)

Hong-Kong (Aberdeen) : FAR=8,1
Paris FAR=3,25-3,75 (to 4,5 in the "9ème")
New-York (New WTC 5-6) FAR=11,1 (surface totale 333 720m2)
Marrakech (Médina) FAR=2,6 (~75% de la surface totale)

Apr 12, 07 10:55 am  · 
 · 
Gotan

interesting!
thanks!

There should be a chart somewhere...

Apr 12, 07 9:23 pm  · 
 · 

FAR is not averageable in japan as it changes drastically depending on where you are looking, and in any case solar access laws and road setback laws are more important...

in the financial district FAR in Tokyo is enormously high, but no one lives there...in residential areas it is much lower...for example a house i am working on now is in an area that allows a building to have a footprint 60% of the site, and a floor area 160%. our site is 90 m2. that is a very typical condition. numbers change depending on location and on road width. wider roads have higher far, and the reverse is also true...

i think in nihonmabshi and marunouchi (both around tokyo train station) the far is something like 2500%, but it might be more...try googling FAR and those area names. might work better than just doing it for tokyo.

Apr 12, 07 9:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: