Archinect
anchor

WHAT DEFINES YOU???

sheri25

What defines you, I want to know what you think makes you the person that you are or want to be, or strive to be.
Is it your job, your lover, your family, your home, your culture, what is it?
Who are you and are you satisfied with that title...role...identity...whatever you want to call it. If you call yourself good, then why...naughty, then why...happy...sad...really

Apr 11, 07 9:02 pm

its my big head. I'm going to one of those shrunken head witch doctors to help cure it - but not obvious results yet

Apr 11, 07 9:19 pm  · 
 · 

no seriously...I'm an architect but slowly realising i can be other things as well

these discussions threads are partly to thank for that discovery too, expecially folks like liberty bell & steven ward that can balance a family and a thriving career | architectural obsession as well. And look good doing it!

Apr 11, 07 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

this is a good question that i was actually asking myself today. i am in the hunt for a job at present and i was sitting there ealier today asking myself, why would someone pick me over someone else? i would think that someone very close to me would be better able to describe what defines me than me defining what defines me. i have my strong points and weaknesses. it just so happens that my weaknesses are an embelishment of my strengths. what defines me? i am a stubborn asshole...

Apr 11, 07 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

the end of that paragraph sounds like a deodorant commercial...

whats my secret? i am afraid of the dark.... HAHA!

Apr 11, 07 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

a few words on a web forum.

Apr 11, 07 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

bucku, sadly i got that...

Apr 11, 07 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
blackcomb1

more for me as an architect than as a person ... craftsmanship, entrepreneurial, professional.

Apr 11, 07 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

my flame-broiled whopper smell

Apr 12, 07 12:37 am  · 
 · 
runawaygirl

as a person?i think the creativity,and without sounding narcissistic,i think its my abilty to imagine.and as an architect,i still have no clue....

sigh!

Apr 12, 07 1:23 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

mostly the negative space around me.

Apr 12, 07 5:35 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

my quixotic and masochitic quest to become a good architect

Apr 12, 07 6:00 am  · 
 · 

i'm a little fuzzy around the edges until i have my coffee. so:

coffee defines me.

Apr 12, 07 6:47 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

mornin' Steve

Apr 12, 07 7:08 am  · 
 · 

mornin' apurimac. i'm feeling much clearer now. but time for a refill.

Apr 12, 07 7:14 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i think fuzziness is getting to me as well, i must away into the rain in search of breakfast.

Apr 12, 07 7:17 am  · 
 · 

j needs coffee, too.

Apr 12, 07 7:25 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

unbalance

Apr 12, 07 10:14 am  · 
 · 
cowgill

damn you j... you beat me to it - but I like the way you think!

Apr 12, 07 10:30 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Coffee totally defines me too. Excellent answer.

But seriously: I think of myself being defined, at least as an architect (which is the very first thing that pops to my mind when I hear the question"what defines you?") by my belief in honesty. In particular the honesty of materials, but also of the whole process.

But my belief in honest materials was challenged today when I met with the Edelman Leather rep. First off, they do leather better than anyone, hands down.

But I found myself really loving the embossed leathers: cowhide made to look like rattlesnake, crocodile, etc. I also couldn't stop touching the dyed hides: hair-on cowskin dyed to look like zebra, or leopard.

So there's a conflict. Perhaps ethically I love that I can have something that looks like a leopard but is made from skin of an animal being slaughtered for food anyway - I wouldn't want to kill a wild animal to upholster a couch! But in that ethical stance I shouldn't even want to see anything that LOOKS like a leopard skin, especially as making a cow look like one goes against my belief in honest materials.

So I'm feeling conflicted this morning. And all the while I ponder this I'm also fantasizing about a covering the walls of my bedroom in lipstick-red python embossed leather.

Maybe I'm defined by conflict. And coffee.

Apr 12, 07 10:33 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Unfortunately, fear.

Apr 12, 07 11:23 am  · 
 · 
Jbond

Fully saturated color defines me.

Apr 14, 07 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

Vindpust's misspellings.

Apr 15, 07 9:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: