Archinect
anchor

Starchitects in Philly?

stacksofpaper

Several of the posts in the slary poll state they work for "starchitects" in Philadelphia. I'd say maybe VSBA, KTA and, umm... umm...
does anyone know of any others? I feel like I'm missing something.

Apr 11, 07 4:54 pm
quixotica

Philarch and Philarct of Phil Phil and Phil, LLC. (Tragically Philarc passed away last spring)

Liberty Bell was the most famous, the competition for the statue honoring her has been a heated competition

Apr 11, 07 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

I hope you're joking about Philarc...because that would be sad. Sad indeed. With Liberty Bell gone, we do have less competition around here. Although she did brighten up the town with her red hair.

As for other starchitect offices, perhaps BCJ, Maxman, and MGA? I would say there are a lot of great firms in the city though they wouldn't necessarily qualify as "starchitect."

Apr 11, 07 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I don't think there are any starchitects in Philly. VSBA would definitely be closest. Kieran Timberlake is getting a lot of press lately (justifiably). Wesley Wei and Otto Design Group do cool work, as do the three Philarch listed.

I don't think you're missing anything, stacks.

Phil Phil and Phil llc - they are the up-and-comers to watch!!

Apr 11, 07 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

MGA used to be home of a starchitect or two back in the day when kahn and mcHarg were at their peak. now, they are a decent firm doing good work, but not starchitecture stature...

Apr 11, 07 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
jbirl

Is this a trick question?

Philadelphia cannot have a starchitect due to it's Quaker heritage. It would just be too vain....

That said, Philly's starchitect's are:

Lou Kahn
Venturi
ummmm....

that's it.

There are alot or really good firms, but no starchitects 'cept ol' Bob V.

Apr 11, 07 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

benjamin franklin hated the penns by the way.

Apr 11, 07 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
kevinderrick

i heard a lot of wei's work was from the talents of his team... now one of them is at qb3...

Apr 12, 07 12:21 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

they don't exist because before i left jersey i personal assassinated every single one of them. now you are free to think.

Apr 12, 07 7:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: