Archinect
anchor

anyone in this forum play Go?

betamax

hey there...just curious of the possibility if anyone here plays Go. if you don't know what it is, its a chinese strategy game played with white and black stones on a 19x19 grid. the object is to define territory on the grid. i found it through the move Pi. two math geniuses played it a lot. so? anyone play?

Apr 11, 07 4:02 pm
FOG Lite

used to play when I was a kid. I found it since my family used to play a lot of Pente, different game played on a similar board and using similar principles. I also read "The Master of Go" back then, great book worth checking out if you're starting to get into the mindset a bit more.

Apr 11, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

definitely getting inot the mindset...but i can't find anyone to play with! and playing on computer sucks...even the interactive go servers where you can chat. best to play across from an organism rather than a machine. i'll check out that book...thx.

Apr 11, 07 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Played a few times and watched others play. Personally, I was more interested in playing the flicking game with the pieces on the board (knock the opponents piece off by flicking your own and hitting the other) or playing a game of connecting 5 pieces in a row (essentially an advanced tic-tac-toe). Takes much less brain power, strategy and patience. But still fun. For the little ones. And me.

Apr 11, 07 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I'm terrible at it. I've mostly got the rules down, but even the basic strategies elude me at this point. I have a computer version which I used to practice a bit on, and a physical version. My physical version is a bit cheap, which is a shame because the best bit of go is the board and the satisfying tap of the stones landing on the board.

I'm equally terrible at chess. Go is more elegant though.

Apr 11, 07 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

yeah im a fan of the allegedly simple rules which coalesce into an extrememly complex strategic game...its great...wish there was a club in cinci

Apr 11, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: