Archinect
anchor

ASU, UW, Cal Poly Pomona Grad School Opinions Needed

kaizen

Hey everyone! I'm hoping I can get a little insight and a few opinions on my grad school options. I've been accepted to Cal Poly in Pomona, University of Washington, and Arizona State University.

I can't really figure much out about Cal Poly Pomona...the program seems a little mysterious and dubious from what I've read on this forum and other places.

I went to the UW for my BA, so I know it's a decent program. I feel like I need to go somewhere else though for my masters though just to get a different experience. Plus I think the UW is having some issues with NAAB accreditation...not sure about that though.

ASU looks like it's probably my best bet. I've heard a lot of good things about them, but I don't know a whole lot about what the program is like. I also don't know too much about Arizona and Tempe...is it a cool place to live?

Any opinions or comments about these schools would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

Apr 11, 07 12:15 pm

Tempe is a very.... hot place to live. Cool wouldn't really be the word. ASU's campus is gorgeous, and there's a real desert aesthetic to everything there that I find very attractive. Not everybody does though. I would say that Tempe is one of the top three places to live in AZ, and certainly the top one for young people. The nightlife is all right down the street, and AZ is pretty cheap.

Cal Poly Pomona has been discussed elsewhere just within the past week, so do a search on it and you'll find my opinions as well as others.

Apr 11, 07 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
w3

Can you elaborate on what you've heard about UW having problems w/ accreditation? I know that they are up for their review next year - but it would be of interest to me to know if you have heard of anything specific that is going to cause them problems.

Apr 11, 07 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
kaizen

I don't know too much about the whole ordeal...this is just my understanding based on what the department chair at the time told me...

But back when I was at the UW doing my undergrad work, they had a NAAB review. I don't know too much about how those things go or what the reviewers are looking for, but I understand a very technical-minded guy was on the review panel and was systematically tearing apart each project. He didn't pay any attention to the concepts behind the projects, environmental concerns, or any of that other academic stuff. He just looked a fire stairs and exiting. He was very disappointed in the UW's projects based on his very narrow criteria, and as a result the UW got put on probation.

I've heard that they've made a lot of actions to restructure the department since then, but I can't really give you specifics. The people I've talked to (UW students) seem to feel that the changes haven't been for the better.

Just my impressions I've got from talking to people...not based on any solid data.

Apr 11, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
kaizen

Thanks for the description, Rationalist...Tempe sounds like it's my kind of place.

Apr 11, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
w3

thanks kaizen - can i ask what year you were there when they had their last NAAB visit?

Apr 11, 07 2:55 pm  · 
 · 

Might I direct anyone who may end up at UW here?

Apr 11, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
kaizen

W3, I graduated with my BA in 2004...I think the NAAB review was either in 2003 or 2004...I don't remember too well.

Apr 11, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
w3

2003 would make sense - their next visit is 2008 so that would follow the 5-year acreditation. I have a voicemail into Alex Anderson asking about any sort of probation from the last visit. The secretary told me that there weren't any penalties from the last visit - but I'll post whatever I hear from Alex to clear up any confusion.

Apr 11, 07 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
w3

Regarding UW accreditation: I just spoke w/ Alex Anderson (associate chair of dept.) and he explained the last NAAB visit. UW was initially placed on probation and was only granted a 3-year term of accreditation. Specifically because the committee didn't feel like student work showed adequate knowledge of ECS and life safety issues. However, UW appealed the decision because they felt that there was a biased committee (one member or more I don't know) and they won the appeal. In winning the appeal they were granted a full 6-year term.

Apr 12, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

ASU has a MBA+MARCH program as well..those two programs come in handy.
tempe is VERY hot. I lived in arizona for 6 years and personally, i like the ithaca winter, which usually gets down to 0 degrees than the 116 degree summers.
the desert is beautiful and the location is unique. sometimes it's worth going somewhere different for the experience.

Apr 12, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
3/16 text

kaizen, where are you ending up applying? i graduated from UW with BA in 2006, and now looking for a grad school..

Oct 4, 07 11:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: