Archinect
anchor

Hopping from office to office, How to

ckp

Tensions are building at my office, as are the tension headaches. I've learn and cursed alot, and now it is time to move on.

But How?

My husband and I have argued with opposing views regarding the next dipolamtic step.
I think I should send out a mailer, resume and "sho-pho", to the various firms I'm interested in and follow up with a phone call or two.
He seems to think that approach will fall on deaf ears, and that it is best to befriend the firm in such a way that you'll be able to judge how they are doing and if they need people.
I do see his point but trying to become "friends" with a firm, seven or eight firms, will certainly take some time.

Meanwhile, why not send them a little portfolio? I'm itchy to get going.

So, I need some advice on how to gracefully, if possible, get a new job and move from one firm to another.

Apr 11, 07 9:20 am
vado retro

first thing you should do is come to work dressed up in interview clothes. then tell your boss you have a doctor's appointment and have to leave early. this will make them think that you are going on a job interview and they may give you a raise.

Apr 11, 07 9:27 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Do you know ANYONE at other firms? Anyone you could call and casually ask if things are busy, might they be looking? That is certainly the best way to target your resume/etc, and if you know someone it's a foot in the door.

But if you don't know anyone, then you start calling and asking who's busy, and send out your package to the busy firms as well as whichever firms' work interests you.

Can't hurt to stop by the local AIA and ask who is busy, too, and keep your eyes on the local Business Journal for who has recently landed big jobs.

Apr 11, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
antipod

Is business that bad in your town?

London is out of control right now. Firms can't seem to hire people fast enough!

Apr 11, 07 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
ckp

Actually business is good in the town where I'm currently working, but the architecture firms are in decay.
So part of what's awkward is trying to switch to another town. I'm less familiar with who's who.

Apr 11, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: