Archinect
anchor

New Boston architecture to see

Jefferson

I am heading to Boston for the first time in 3-4 years. What are some of the new buildings I should definately see? So far I'm planning on the new ICA.
Thanks

Apr 10, 07 5:51 pm
larslarson

i would highly reccomend seeing the new campus center by
scogin elam and bray at wellesley college..also their parking
garage is pretty nice too. while there you can also see their museum
by moneo and a couple buildings by rudolph. you probably didn't get
out there all that much when you were in school there. (you went to
school there right?)

you've probably already seen gehry's and holl's buildings.

i have the publication for the bsa awards from last year..i'll have a look
at that and see if there's anything else worth mentioning.

Apr 10, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
switters

new moneo at harvard.

Apr 10, 07 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
wangsta

Office DA residential building

Apr 10, 07 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
the orange menace

the allston public library

Apr 10, 07 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

anything by charles rose worth seeing up heah

Apr 10, 07 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I was in Boston over New Years. I'm not sure if you've seen these or not, but...

ICA (of course!)
M.I.T. (If you haven't seen Simmons and Stata)
Genzyme Center
Moneo at Harvard

Apr 10, 07 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNQVJsbmmp0
Apr 11, 07 1:39 am  · 
 · 
Entasis79

Ryan....
Great call with the Alston Public Library!!!

I highly agree.

Apr 11, 07 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
postal

so....lletdownl and i are heading to boston for a 4 day extravaganza...19-22

our main reason for the trip is to see the white sox play some other hosiery at some place they call fenway...

anyway, thought i'd revive this thread, see if we can add to the suggestions above... maybe throw in some bar suggestions as well.

we'll definately be heading into harvard and mit to walk around and look at student projects... a tour might be pretty cool, though i know most are probably off for the summer. have at it...

Jul 16, 07 9:49 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

postal, I think the Allston Library should not be missed, along with the MIT Kresge Chapel even though it's not "new"... I wasn't sure if you were looking specifically for new architecture like jefferson. Also don't miss City Hall before Menino brings in the wrecking ball. I know there are plenty more places to visit, so I'll post some as I think of them and when I can narrow it down to some truly good ones. As for bars, I'd recommend my personal favorite, the Squealing Pig in Brigham Circle or if you don't mind beer snobbery, the Publick House in Brookline.

Jul 16, 07 10:02 am  · 
 · 
postal

no, doesn't need to be new at all.. just boston arch in general.

definately going to walk some hoods get a good feel for the place... find out what jane jacobs was ranting about.

Jul 16, 07 10:43 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

hmm, I think my favorite urban neighborhood in Boston is Harvard Square, I know it's a gentrified cliche, but the under all the chains moving in and outrageous rents, there are still plenty of great local places and a liveliness that doesn't exist anywhere else on the same scale in the area. A little more off the beaten path, Jamaica Plain (specifically along Centre Street) is the neighborhood with the strongest intangible community feel I've found in Boston. There's not a whole lot to do there if you're not a local or looking into the quirky shops, but I think that's part of what makes it such a great real neighborhood. I'd recommend beeradvocate for scoping out good bars in Boston, Cambridge and even Brookline.

Jul 16, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
postal

how bout this question... does anyone know where in which buildings MIT architecture studios are located? or where work will be shown? also, the MIT media lab? is there any kind of restricted access to this kind of stuff?

Jul 16, 07 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
cln1

postal,
a good walk would be: (especially if you are going to the ICA)

get off at the park street 'T' stop, turn right and cross the main street onto Summer Street, then walk straight into South Boston.

it is a little long, but not that bad - i walked it a few weeks ago. 15-20 min walk.

on the way you will pass through downtown crossing, which is always busy with activity, a portion of the financial district (a small rudolf building will be just off your path, along with the parking garage that will be the home of the new 1000'+ tower - see Winthrop Square) - you will pass by the "prego" building, south station and one of my favorite boston buildings the Federal Reserve Building.

then, you could either cross the bridge on summer street, or, i would suggest that you bang a left before you hit the bridge and cross at Congress Street, on the other side you will find an area booming with construction activity. walk a couple blocks in and take another left onto one of the small alleys that have a really nice feel to them - the ICA will be striaght ahead.

actually, i think walking this route back into the city might be nicer than out to southy. as the places described above unfold in front of you, rather than behind / to the side. in this case, walk from the ICA, across congress street to summer street and go over the summer street bridge.

Jul 16, 07 3:54 pm  · 
 · 

hmmm go see Cheers

Jul 16, 07 10:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: