Archinect
anchor

learning CAD in a week?

dzuy

hi all,

so i been unemployed for 2 months now. ive been following lots of assisting leads for interior / commercial design and furniture design for some time now.

i have no formal training. only the furniture i've designed and built which have been pretty serious over the last couple of years.

i got a call back from a commercial design firm today. based on the photos of my designs, they want to talk to me in person. they mentioned that cad is pretty essential.

what are the chances of learning the basics in a week? i have a couple friends that are going to show me the basics, but right now im relying on online tutorials and the 30 day trial that autodesk provides.

i come from electrical engineering / computer science background so i think this is possible.

the question is....

1. what autodesk product do interior designers use, just the basic autocad?

2. what are the essential things i should look at immediately, is the cad just used for floor planning? no 3d stuff right?

please let me know.

thanks!

Apr 9, 07 7:44 pm

many answers to what you thought were simple questions.

1. I know interior designers that use CAD, autoCAD is rarely one of them. Its somewhat limiting or perhaps I should say that it makes it difficult to be used for IDs. Most i know prefer the old mac based CAD software like VectorWorks (used to be MiniCAD) and ArchiCAD or even Microstation

2. CAD is for everything...even letter writing nowadays. Pun intended but you'll probably not get it

Apr 9, 07 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

it can be done...

CAD is one of those programs (like most things) that you learn more and more about over time.

Being around other people who know it (at an office), you will learn all the short cuts and in and outs of the program

Apr 9, 07 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

you could learn it in a day given the right situation

Apr 9, 07 8:14 pm  · 
 · 

I think it could definitely be done. Use the F1 key liberally, and consider getting yourself a book. A good book will not only help you learn the basics with tutorials and hints, but will provide a good reference for you throughout the process of learning all of those little ins and outs and tricks once you start working, so that you don't have to bug your coworkers with every little question.

Apr 9, 07 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

if you're trying to develope some skills before showing up at the offic,e i'd try drawing some of your own work in cad. just pick a piece and don't let yourself stop until it's done. then pick a room to do. don't stop when you get stuck on a problem, use a book, the help file, or google to figure out how to get unstuck. i actually learned autocad in a week, in a 5 day class, and we pretty much did what i outlined above; chose something to draw and drew it.

tutorials in books can be useful, but i think they often don't really allow you to understand what you're doing. taking a real-world challenge, one without a linear set of instructions will force you to think about what you are doing and understand what you have done.

that said, i don't know what software interior designers use, i'd bet old fogey is right- old fogeies are usually wise with age. i have heard of people using autodesk viz for interior design. i don't know what else. i think if you can show a firm that you understand some other design-type programs, like illustrator, they'll understand that investing in training you in the software they use is a good investment.

Apr 9, 07 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the interior designers in our firm use autocad. it helps if you know your color theory. do you know your color theory?

Apr 10, 07 12:01 am  · 
 · 
binary

f3
f8
l
co
layers
ma
e
tr
ex

shazzam

Apr 10, 07 12:42 am  · 
 · 

cha
f
qsave
qsave
qsave

Apr 10, 07 1:01 am  · 
 · 
binary

f....r..0..enter.....

Apr 10, 07 1:21 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

in that day given the situation of just the right project and tutelage

Apr 10, 07 4:05 am  · 
 · 
THREADS

just remember

L=line
C=Copy

those are the only two commands you need.

Apr 10, 07 9:17 am  · 
 · 
dzuy

thanks guys, lots of helpful stuff, yeah i been up and running on a trial version and online tutorials.

looks relatively straight forward.

thanks!

Apr 11, 07 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Draw up some of your furniture designs in autocad. At the interview, present them, they will think you know it.

Go and look at the rubbish bins behind architects offices and steal some drawings [like i did], or get an architect friend to get you a set of drawings to use as a template for graphic presentation.

The actual mechanical part of autocad is fairly straightforward. I taught myself, but its all the tips and tricks that you dont know that save you time when you are drawing. Also, things like lineweights, layers, CTB files and paperspace are a little more abstract and come with time and trial and error.

Apr 11, 07 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

dumpster diving rules

my suggestion is go thru the all commands from the toolbar command once you see the ones you will most often use make a toolbar with just them and turn all the others off cept the properties and and layers ones.

Apr 11, 07 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
sheri25

Can I download CAD for free, it is too expensive to buy, anyone???

Apr 11, 07 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

especially if its Rhinoceros, I still learn new stuff all the time.

Apr 13, 07 11:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: