Archinect
anchor

stay at home dads

mdler

just read an article that they are on the rise...anyone out there a stay at home dad or have a partner who is????

Apr 9, 07 1:47 pm
vado retro

i would love to be a stay at home dad. especially if i didnt have kids. which i don't.

Apr 9, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

you are somewhat of a father figure to us all, vado

Apr 9, 07 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
joshuacarrell

Does working from home count?

Apr 9, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

where's the article mdler....Im curious!

Apr 9, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i think it was on yahoo...basically said that many women are now making more $$$ than their male spouses, so the men stay home. I would be a househusband / stay at home dad in a heartbeat...just need me a rich wife ;)

Apr 9, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

you can be my mistress

Apr 9, 07 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I will be your stay at home sugar daddy

Apr 9, 07 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

hahaha, yeah I like your thinking mdler....I actually had this conversation with a few "prospective" gals I used to date that were earning/or had a better line of work (more $$$) than, I. In short, I let them know...."Hey Im up for being a househusband!!"

hehe

no worries tumbleweed....i am sure you will find someone like one of us for a mate, for it seems that like minded attract another (poor with poor)

Apr 9, 07 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

squirrelly

basically anyone you date (who is not an architect) will make more $$$ than us ;(

I wouldn't mind taking care of the kids and having a hot dinner and cold beer on the table for my lady when she gets home from work; I would also decorate

Apr 9, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

hahaha, right O mdler.

and yea I like that idea of taking care of the kids and making dinner, etc.
Also the idea of running the kids to soccer practice and seeing some hot MILFs wouldn't hurt huh? haha

Apr 9, 07 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

your beer is waiting, honey

Apr 9, 07 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i coulda stayed home forTerriGarrin her prime. like young frankenstein times...

Apr 9, 07 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I'll pack my trunk

Apr 9, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Well you thought I'd be waitin' up when you came home last night
You'd been out with all the boys and you ended up half tight
But liquor and love that just don't mix leave a bottle or me behind
And don't come home a drinkin' with lovin' on your mind

No don't come home a drinkin' with lovin' on your mind
Just stay out there on the town and see what you can find
Cause if you want that kind of love well you don't need none of mine
So don't come home a drinkin' with lovin' on your mind
[ steel - guitar ]
You never take me anywhere because you're always gone
Many a night I've laid awake and cried dear all alone
And you come in a kissin' on me it happens every time

No don't come home a drinkin'...

Apr 9, 07 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I'm a stay at home dad and my wife is a stay at home mom.....with two stay at home dogs.....all is wonderful, long as we can pay the bills & travel.

Apr 9, 07 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

snooker

sounds like you live the good life

I grew up with two (more or less) stay at home parents. I really enjoyed it

Apr 9, 07 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

stay at homeless dads are on the rise with all the foreclosures...

Apr 9, 07 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I have wanted to comment on this thread all day long but I have had day of hell in the office.

Soooooooo in college I took a class called Hispanic Gender Roles in South American Literature (obscure class, I know). The class was comprised of 16 ladies (including myself) and 3 lads. One day my professor was going on one of her tangents about how it is simple for us not question stereotypical gender roles. She then asked us to write a paper that questions a specific gender role and fit a matching piece of literature that is parallel to it.

I selected Stay-At-Home Dads and tried to relate it to an Alfonsa Maria Storni poem.

I questioned how women felt about this. My hypothesis was that women would probably be very accepting of this idea. How third wave of mean looking back at my naivety. So I sent out a simple questionare to women around campus that asked their thoughts on the notion of their hubby being a stay at home dad.

This is where I need a disclaimer - I went to a public university in South Carolina (read: southern, conservative, Bible belt, traditional).

Women hated this idea. Of the 32 forms I received, only one (ONE) lady said she thought it was a good idea and necessary for the modern woman. Many answers said something along this line:

"The Dad makes the money, and the Mom stays home. That's how its [sic] always been and its [sic] been working so stuff don't [sic] need to change."

"Men aren't meant to be the primary caretaker of children."

"Women are better at managing time and cooking. Therefore, the kids will always be picked up on time and the family will eat healthy."

Quite honestly, the answers appalled me. I was shocked. I felt that they gave little to no justice for the ability of men as full-time fathers.

I know this isn't the case with all women; my briefresearch was based on 32 people. But I absolutely could not get over the fact that one, just one lady, felt that she would be comfortable with her husband being a stay-at-home father.

Thought I would share that somewhat long anecdote.

Apr 9, 07 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
AP

very interesting, n_, but not at all surprising (given the survey was taken south of the mason-dixon)...

my brother tried working this out with his wife. she was alright with the idea, and in some fashion, the set-up worked for a while. she wins the bread, he stays home with the young child. works at night sometimes, and usually weekend nights (waiting tables at a cla$$y resort). this was the set up for a couple of years.

now, he's a fireman and still gets large chunks of time (24on 48off) at home with the toddler. she still makes more than him, more than double his income easy...

like mdler's parents, i hope to have a stay-at-home family in the future...maybe a detached studio or something....

Apr 9, 07 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

As a woman who isn't sure about having kids in the future, being married to someone who wanted to be a stay-at-home dad would bring me a lot closer to being ok with the whole child-bearing thing. Frankly, it appalls me how different the experience of having children is for men than it is for women, and the amount of responsibility a woman has to take on (50% theoretically, that could turn into 100% at any time with little to no warning) scares the shit out of me.

Apr 9, 07 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I am a better cook that many women I know

Apr 9, 07 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
n_

mdler, i challenge you to a cook off.

Apr 9, 07 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

mdler, that is, sadly true of most women ive met in the States.

Apr 9, 07 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i do all the cooking in this here brothel

Apr 9, 07 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

I fantasize about being a S.A.h.D. while the Mrs. brings home the bacon and I can practice architecture as a hobby while the 2 year old naps. And also cook fantastic dinners. With wine (not juice)...

Apr 9, 07 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

My husband would be a far better stay at home parent that I am. Hands down. Better parent, better cook, better organizer, smarter, and exponentially more patient than I am.

But for everyone worried about neither parent being stay at home, and sending the kid to daycare: my son is in a Montessori school that starts at age 2 and he is doing SO MUCH BETTER there than he would be at home with either one of us. Socialization skills, exposure to lots of different cultures (it's a very racially and economically mixed place), learning his letters and math, came home one day reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and blew me away, I had no idea he could memorize something like that! Montessori is totally the way to go.

I'm a good mom but school is a far better place for my kid to be than home with me all day struggling to keep the house clean, frig stocked, teach him things, and not go absofrickinlutelty stir crazy. Stay at home parenting is HARD WORK, far, far harder than being an architect.

I'm all for men doing it, though.

Apr 9, 07 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well the kidz love the vado...

Apr 9, 07 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

LB

I am a product of Montessori...you may want to re-consider

Apr 10, 07 12:40 am  · 
 · 
mdler

Vado,

Did you rent those kids in order to pick up girls?

Apr 10, 07 12:41 am  · 
 · 

my wife and i had long discussions about who would stay at home with kid(s).

i had always been the cook. we both worked. it was just as hard for me to imagine her giving up her work as it was hard for me to imagine me giving up mine. when the baby was born she still had the job she always had, with good insurance, generous leave, etc and i was working on my own with a fairly flexible schedule and (because i was teaching) not a lot of income.

but here we are a couple of years later and i'm working the regular job and she's staying at home. it's what she really wanted to do. and she's great at it. not the situation i had ever pictured for myself but it works!

i still have short periods during which i resent a little that i get so few hours with the girls. except for weekends, i pretty much only see them between 6 and 9 each evening before they go to bed.

Apr 10, 07 7:04 am  · 
 · 

being a parent is not a holiday, fer all yuz folks who want to be house husbands and stay home with the kids, be prepared to work 14 hour days, 7 days a week (only slightly kidding)...

i have been lucky that for the past 7 years i have been either in university or working out of home office more often than not, so have been able to see my kids at home every day of their lives so far...balancing home and work is very hard when i don't go to the office, but is very good to be able to be here when the kids need me, or when wife needs a break. in japanese context this is very very odd. most men only see their kids on sunday.

i suppose this arrangement is not quite what the article outlined, as we don't fit into the either/or situation, but something much more fluid. imagine this will change after i finish phd and if office becomes more succesful, but for now it is really ideal...

my oldest went to a montesorri-type school from 2 years old til 4 (my wife worked then but does not now), then we moved to tokyo and we put her into a mainstream kindergarten (which starts from 4 years old in japan)...level of education def not the same, but to be honest i like the parents a lot more. 100% stay home mums, so my daughter always lingers after school with the other kids in a local park, rather than just get picked up in a car and taken home. socially my kid's (and our) life have improved 500%. having time to spend with the kids is such an amazing luxury, and i do believe it is very good for the kids to have at least one person who can devote lots of time to them...

Apr 10, 07 7:54 am  · 
 · 
mdler
Apr 10, 07 11:33 am  · 
 · 
mdler
Apr 10, 07 11:34 am  · 
 · 
mdler

i give up

Apr 10, 07 11:34 am  · 
 · 
mdler
Apr 10, 07 11:36 am  · 
 · 
mdler

are you lookin?

Apr 10, 07 11:36 am  · 
 · 
jones

My husband stayed home with our son for the first year and a half. Our son just turned three in March, so we have now had equal time with the little bugger. The beauty of the situation is that we both know what it is like, for example I wouldn't ever say, "You get to go to work all day and talk to adults while I am stuck at home", since I've been on that end. I remember being resentful of the time I was spending at work while he was at home---so in essence we each know what it's like----the grass can seem greener but it isn't.

Apr 10, 07 11:50 am  · 
 · 

mdler that kid looks terrified...

Apr 10, 07 11:57 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

But it sure does put our whining into perspective

Apr 10, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

indeed it does Phil...

and mdler, that's just wrong; hijacking kids and posing with them just to get girls!

you know, in a creepy kinda way, it makes you look like some molester! haha

Apr 10, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
not without

aint no man in the world!

Apr 10, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

no..email me again

Apr 10, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

increase your penis size 20%...must be you

Apr 10, 07 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

funny, they call me 'magic blue balls'

Apr 10, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

may I suggest that Archinect add a 'Casual Encounters' section

Apr 10, 07 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

You two should really get a room. At least your own private forum or something.

mdler, who's baby is that? She's entirely too cute....

Apr 10, 07 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

My friend Carla's neice...

she is 1yr old, is starting to talk (English, Spanish, French, sign language). Is into music

Apr 10, 07 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

we have connected at last ;)

Apr 10, 07 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
paperharbinger

euuuww

we didnt need to know about your 'connections'

Apr 10, 07 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
n_

my friends and i always 'casual encounter' each other throughout the week. we determine where our destination city will be for the week and write hilarious, cryptic messages to each other. the point of the game is to try to figure out who was the author and who was the intended recipient from our little 4 person team.

occasionally, i'll frantically get on the phone at work and say "m, m, you totally just casual encountered me. bubba in town for the gun fest?...that was totally meant for me! i caught you!" or i'll receive a phone call at work and have to say "no, i wasn't the one that asked for the hotel booty call in maui. ask mike. i think he sent it to emily. i'm still trying to figure that one out. that one's a toughy." it's quite entertaining.

Apr 10, 07 8:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: