i'm in hongkong, what do u need?

Apr 7, 07 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
karchitect

I'm in Hong Kong too.

Apr 8, 07 12:15 am  · 
 · 
n_

if you are in hong kong, you better take the ferry to lantau island. take it soon. now. get off the computer right now and go. you won't regret it.

Apr 8, 07 1:26 am  · 
 · 
archislave

free dimsum?

Apr 8, 07 3:22 am  · 
 · 
LaBoule

I gonna do a 3 months internship there (in Quarry bay) and I'm looking for a collocation/appartment sharing/room or any proposition for a not too expensive place to live.

Is there anyone who could give me some advise?

Apr 10, 07 5:11 am  · 
 · 
aspect

if for 3 months only and u never been to hk and don't have friends or parents here, is best to find a service apartment, cost around hk$8000/month and lots of choices in kowloon and hongkong, depends on ur preferences.

Apr 10, 07 11:47 am  · 
 · 
LaBoule

Thanks Aspect, but I'm still student and cannot really pay 8000 HK$ /month... I'll earn about 4000 HK$/month: I'm much more looking for a collocation or a university student's room which could be free on the summer...

Apr 10, 07 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
sliphk

I second aspect comments on service apts- for a 3 month stay it will be hard to find a place in HK. For sure there are lots of service apts on HK island for 5000-8000 HKD a month. Be advised the rooms are very small and leave a lot to be desired but they are convenient and easy, and most you can rent on a month-to-month basis until you find better accommodations. Also be aware the neighborhoods vary greatly, for example there are lots in Causeway bay if you are up for noise, masses of people, and general exciting chaos but if you prefer something more quiet I suggest Sheung Wan which is more small scales local Chinese shops and restaurants and tends to be a bit less exciting but perhaps more relaxed in terms of lifestyle. Both are close to Central and all the bars in Lan Kwai Fong but again are quite different in character-- as aspect mentioned it all depends on your preferences. Also if you have not checked out the other threads about HK on archinect please look them over the offer a good starter on the scene and firms in the area. Overall i am sure you will love HK... I came here a year ago and do not plan to leave anytime soon. If you have any questions feel free to ask or email me off the boards.

Apr 10, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
sliphk

Also one last thing craigslist is virtually useless in HK- maybe check out asiaxpat.com- I can not endorse myself but many people I know have found decent places to stay on their apt boards

Apr 10, 07 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

i think is quite hard to find an apartment to share with ppl for 3months especially u never been to hongkong. asiaxpat,com is a good start, or u can try ymca, or go to these university web:
http://www1.polyu.edu.hk/main/main_e.php
http://www.hku.hk/
http://www.cityu.edu.hk/
they are all in the city and have dormitories, u can give a try.

honestly, rent here is very high, $4000 is little money here. be prepare to spend at least $8000 on food/rent/transportation per month here, especially for foreigners.

are u french? will ask my french friends here if they can help.

Apr 10, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
LaBoule

Yes I am french. I've already been in HK (in january for a few days to meet the architects with who I'm going to work). I have some contact there but just a few and not really close to me...

Another idea: do you know some people who get their driving licence in HK? I mean I've just failed to pass it in France, and I'm sure it would be easier to get it there... (My mother get hers in Ivory Coast 30 years ago!) What do you think? Is it impossible? [I mean I don't want to rent a car there... it's just to get an international driving licence, if it's cheaper than in France - I have to pay about 500€ to have some news lessons and the test here] I gonna check:
http://www.info.gov.hk/td

PS: I know 4000$/month is little money, but I'm not in HK for earning money. I just wanna live in a high density city. And it's my first real internship, I'm sure it's not bad for a B-Arch candidate to have a salary...

Archinectors, thanks for all. Your help is nice!

Apr 11, 07 5:15 am  · 
 · 
aspect

driving lessons are relatively cheap here, but license test is well-known for being tough, failing rate is quite high. average hour for passing the exam is 40hrs... as compare to me took the test in US only 8hrs learning and past, is much easilier.

besides, driving in the city is a nightmare at daytime, traffic jam everywhere and parking is expensive... public transport here is ultra convenient.

feel free to drop me a mail if u need further assistance. me stay in hongkong long enough to be considered as local.

Apr 11, 07 11:00 am  · 
 · 
LaBoule

Thanks aspect! You cannot imagine: here in France, I've already taken 35 hours of driving lessons (43€/hour!). And I failed it yesterday for nothing... The most important pb is to have the test's date. It takes a while.

Ok, I will take some time to tackle this pb of housing in HK - I have to wait for the answer of friends of my parents. And I will let you know what I've found.

I would be happy to have a drink with you all, archinectors who are living in HK, when I'll join this city!

Apr 12, 07 6:34 am  · 
 · 
aspect

sure, keep us update on thing and drop us all a mail when u around town !!

i figure u probably work at one of those big firms in quarry bay, so there should be lots of interns/architects to show u around town also!

Apr 12, 07 11:57 am  · 
 · 
LaBoule

you're right, I gonna work for Aedas.

Apr 12, 07 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
echk

i am interesting in working in hk as well? what's the requirements to get a job in Aedas? and How do you apply for it? any other companies suggestion?

Apr 14, 07 10:14 am  · 
 · 
echk

i am interesting in working in hk as well? what's the requirements to get a job in Aedas? and How do you apply for it? any other companies suggestion? thank you.

Apr 14, 07 10:14 am  · 
 · 
aspect

Aedas is a good choice for the first stop in asia. more international as compare with other local firm.

eddie> i think all the international firm has moved to china, if u plan to work in asia for good, the market in hongkong is very limited especially for foreigners.

Apr 14, 07 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

anyone still there and fancy an archinect meeting?

Aug 29, 07 1:51 am  · 
 · 
Watermelon

this is what I want to say if you understand Cant.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jpy_Qy9zjqw

and this is what I want to do when I'm in HK

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l7prZLCpkHk

:)

when you're in HK and can't speak chinese the best greeting is

"Pok Kai Lay Low Mo Ho Ma"

and if they seem upset reply

"diew lay lor"

and if they seem to get more upset reply

"diew lay low mo hom ga choon" ;)

Sep 2, 07 3:13 am  · 
 · 
MacRoen

Come to shanghai :D

Sep 3, 07 2:11 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

working for Aedas....'good luck' is all i can say

Sep 3, 07 4:18 am  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

Whatever you do...don't say what Watermelon said to say!!!

Not unless you want a black eye. What happened to Archinect being a wholesome family oriented forum?

Anyone know if Quenifer Lee is still in HK...Quen?? Long time no hear.

Sep 5, 07 4:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: