Archinect
anchor

Oh look, another NYC salary thread!

Living in Gin

I have a copy of the 2005 AIA Compensation Survey, which is pretty comprehensive with its information. However, my situation is a little unique in that I don't fit neatly into any of the boxes under the job descriptions. Here's my vital stats:

I have 11 years work experience in architecture, including 3 years as a student intern at a corporate firm with a strong design ethic. Much of my experience has been fairly menial CAD monkey work, but more recently I've taken on more of a Project Architect role on some projects. Most of my projects have been smallish corporate interiors projects, but in 2003 I ended up being the designer and job captain on a complicated $12.5M addition/renovation to a landmark monastery, including a new chapel, on the Villanova University campus. My bosses and the client were very satisfied with my work on the project. (Some of you have seen this project in my portfolio.)

I know AutoCAD pretty much inside and out, I've singlehandedly drawn up a few sets of CD's by now, and I'm notorious in the office for being incredibly anal about proper drafting and detailing. Unfortunately, I don't yet have much experience with 3D rendering or BIM technology.

My educational background is where things get weird. I began a pre-professional architecture degree at UIC in 1995, left the program, and have been working on finishing my undergrad degree since then. Now I'm enrolled part-time at DePaul University, and expect to earn my BA with a focus in architectural practice this fall and begin my M.Arch. degree in 2008. So, although I have a decent amount of work experience, I don't yet have a professional degree in architecture.

As for the type of firm I'm hoping to work for, I'm primarily looking to end up in a 10-50 person office that treats their employees reasonably well. It doesn't necessarily have to be cutting-edge design, but it should at least be consistently good design with a decent variety of project types. (Think Peter Gluck's office or something comparible.) I'm not necessarily looking to get hired by a starchitect or a big corporate firm, but I wouldn't rule out such a possibility if the circumstances were right.

So, the million-dollar question: What would be a good salary range that I should be expecting to look at? Although I'm still a few months away from interviewing, this will help me determine some sort of housing budget to plan for.

Thanks in advance....

Apr 5, 07 10:01 pm
Living in Gin

Nobody?

(crickets chirping)

Apr 6, 07 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
AP

it's tough to get too much help on a friday afternoon. maybe a monday morning bump?

Apr 6, 07 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Probably a good idea.

Apr 6, 07 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Gin, it wouldn't be a bad idea to learn some 3d modelling and rendering. It's great you know cad, CDs, and detailing, but it could make your folio much better.

I noticed that in all my interviews, people were dazzled by the 3d. I also noticed that they loved to see every method such as the use of analogue models, digital models, CAD stuff, hand drawings, and sketches.

Apr 7, 07 9:05 am  · 
 · 
med.

Oh, BTW I had a phone interview with some lady from a New York firm that didn't do bad work at all, but eh pay sounded pretty laughable ... like $31k.

Apr 7, 07 9:07 am  · 
 · 
on my way

Your post doesn't really say anything about your design skills... can you actually design, or are you just good at CAD? It seems to me that even if someone is hiring you for a more technical role, they still want to think that you can design. If you have examples of your design skill in your portfolio as well as examples of your technical aptitude, I would think there's a firm out there that would give you at least $45-$55k. However, if you're going to be leaving the job to go back to school, it seems like people might not think of you as a long term employee and won't want to invest in you... they'll think of you more as an intern... I think it would probably be better not to tell them of your plans until after you have the job...

Apr 7, 07 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

45-55k for 11 years experience? thats rough

Apr 7, 07 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

on my way: Design skills are obviously in the eye of the beholder, but I'm pretty confident that I have a good design sense and can hold my own. On times when I'm given the opportunity to design a project or some element of a project, more often than not it's been very sucessful. Mind you, none of my work will end up on the cover of Architectural Record (yet), and I'm aware that I still have much to learn about designing, but most times I'm pretty confident in my abilities.

$45-55k seems a bit on the low side, especially since I'm already within that range in Chicago, and salaries tend to be significantly higher in NYC.

Apr 8, 07 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

*bump* per AP's suggestion.

Anybody else feel like tackling this?

Apr 9, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
+i

obviously i can only say what i have observed- but of the people whom i graduated with, as well as those that graduated before me (c/o 2004,2005,2006)... everyone who went to NY got significantly lower salaries than those of us who went to Chicago, Atlanta, and Washington, DC.
it's not cheap to live in DC... and i'd imagine a bit more to live in NY... and by the time three friends of mine got an offer below $40k in NYC (not a starchitect, but all medium-sized decent firms)...
it convinced me to go to elsewhere.

Apr 9, 07 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
AP

45k is low for sure. i have friends with 2yrs experience and no masters making that much (or almost that much)...

otherwise, i have no idea what you should expect, other than a beer or three on me (is PBR alright?) once we're both up there this summer.

Apr 9, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

PBR is fine. We'll have to have some sort of Archinect meet-up once I arrive in NYC, as there seem to be a number of archinecters converging on the city this summer.

Apr 9, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Needlebeam

The range that you might be offered depends on where employers peg you experience-wise. If you advertise yourself as having 11 years of experience you'll probably find that potential employers seem a little disappointed and annoyed when they find out that a number of those years are as a student intern and that you just finished a BA. I'm not saying that's a fair or accurate perception - just the way things will probably go. A lot of employers tend to discount/de-value student jobs or even any jobs you had before graduation, for that matter. They'll often look at all those jobs and say things like "well that adds up to about a year of fulltime professional experience".
So in your case you'll have to work hard to make it clear that you have years of continuous fulltime experience (and for that reason I'd be more likely to say you have 8 years of fulltime experience, and not overemphasize the student internships.) You should lead with the information about managing the large project, and be less detailed about your AutoCAD knowledge. Yes, employers will want to know that you're CAD-competent, but focusing on CAD skills is a mark of an intern. Talk about your management experience, show photos of your completed large project(s), etc.

I'm sure you realize it'll be a little tricky to deal with the fact that you're planning to go back to school in a year. Whether or not to divulge that is a big question, because it may make some employers not want to bother with you at all, and it will be another factor that can peg you as a student-level applicant.

Your range in NYC could be anywhere from intern level (mid 30s to mid 40s) to lower project manager level (mid 50s to mid 60s and up), depending on whether the employer sees you as having 8 to 10 years of good firm experience or whether they see you as more of a student intern/professional CAD drafter who just finished an undergrad degree. Of course most people interviewing for proj. mngr. spots with 8+ years of experience are licensed architects with professional degrees. A lot is going to depend on your portfolio and how you present yourself and your experience.

Apr 9, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I just took a job in the middle 40s (loaded with bonuses and benefits) as my entry level job. I've had extremely minimal experience at best and it all only involved doing photoshop layouts for posters. Minimal construction document stuff.

An m.arch really helps along with a portfolio that shows plenty of versitility. In mine, I had physical models, digital renderings, hand drawings, sketches, paintings, water colors, and CAD stuff. I also had a wide variety of different projects like hospitals, city plans, masterplans, academic buildings, schools, recreation facilities, museums, and residential projects. It also helps to be a very good talker in your interviews so you know that you have ownership of the entire situation. With the exception of the crazy lady that talked about a 31k salary in NYC, I didn't see a single official offer for less than 40k even in NYC.

A friend of mine with about 4 years experience just accepted a job in NYC for around 52k. He's about two years younger than me too. Did both grad and undergrad at Virginia Tech. He was a bad ass and that was reflected in his portfolio and he is a very good talker.

Apr 9, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Thanks for the info... You bring up good points.

I'm a little torn about how much I want to disclose about my future educational plans. With my current firm here in Chicago I was totally upfront about it, which was nice because I didn't feel like I was keeping secrets from anybody, but it also (IMO) causes me to be somewhat pigeonholed as a "student intern/professional CAD drafter".

If the firm is offering good enough experience at a good salary, I might be willing to consider postponing grad school for an additional year, and there's also the possibility that I could continue working at the same firm during breaks and summers.

How have others dealt with this issue?

Apr 9, 07 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Archmed: This crazy sounds like somebody I interviewed with in 2004. She was trying to tell me that salaries are actually lower in NYC than in Philadelphia (where I was moving from), depsite my mountains of documentation to the contrary. Here office wasn't near the top of the Empire State Building, was it?

Apr 9, 07 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

*crazy lady, I mean.

Apr 9, 07 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Actually, yes. It was on the 60th floor of the Empire State. I believe she was the principle of this firm.

It was only a phone interview though. I didn't even think about going there.

Apr 9, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
+i

LIG
just like with grad school- portfolio has a big part to do with what your initial offer is and how they view you- as in will they view you as a potential designer or intern... so --- i'd revamp my grad school portfolio asap before sending it out there for potential job offers- be very careful to prove you are proficient in CD's, but that you make very clear you are not a "cad jockey".

as far as delving into your education plans... i was up front with my firm- i told them i wasn't sure when in the future i want to go back to school for my post-pro m.arch, but i knew i wanted to go back at some point. (that was true, i didnt know when, although i didnt tell them when exactly i would be applying either). they were very supportive because they see it as a benefit to them as well- because, like you, i also told them that i would potentially come back (given, you dont want to promise them anything because you never know what your future may hold). so i would say be upfront- it shows that you are positive about the future, that you are in the profession for the long haul- and that you are aware that you can bring significant benefits to whatever firm you choose to go with- you are an asset.

Apr 9, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Too weird. When I interviewed there she was up around the 80th floor, but I suppose it's possible she relocated the office at some point. She brought up the salary question within the first 30 seconds of the phone conversation, which was an immediate warning sign. I went to meet her at the firm anyway, mainly because I wanted to see the view from the office and also because I was desperate for work.

When I showed up, she was 20 minutes late, and then ignored me for another half-hour while talking to her #2 person about project-related business and internal office matters, while I sat there at the table with my thump up my ass. A total waste of subway fare, but at least the view was nice.

Apr 9, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

And the sad part of that story is, I'm pretty sure I now work for her twin sister in Chicago.

Apr 9, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Was it like a five person firm that was a smaller office of a bigger corporate firm located in another city? From what I understand there are a couple of arch offices there. Could have been a different one.

She contacted me through a career fair we had at my grad school program.

Heavy new york accent, raspy voice from smoking too many cigs, and mostly did renovations. Could very well be the same firm. Remember, I didn't go there, so it could have been the 80th floor.

31k scared me away forever. Very nice lady though.

Apr 9, 07 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

LiG

I just went through the interview process and numbers were a bit scattered here. I've got a bit of PM experience, have a BArch, out of college just about 2 years now, but started in the industry 10 years ago and worked all through college. I'm at a small office right now as a PM at 47k with only medical for benefits. Accepted an offer at a mid-size firm for 52k and will not be at the level of PM (which is a good thing) with full benefits incl. 401k, bonuses, OT compensation, etc.

Don't sell yourself short. You'll hear some low numbers but it's really from people who are looking to put you at the bottom of the ladder, if you're thinking you will be interviewing for mid-level don't be hesistant about being in the 50's.

I hate to say it but I might be a bit quiet about the going back to school unless you plan on doing it here in NY and working while. The investment, as I'm sure you know, in a new employee is high.

Apr 9, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Archmed: This was about a 5-10 person office that did mostly renovations, but I don't recall that she was part of a larger firm. Could very well be a different office.

I don't remember her voice or accent, but "very nice lady" isn't the term I'd use to describe her. She seemed nice in that sort of phony marketing-sales sort of way, but her ego was enormous, and she also seemed very pushy and manipulative. Her #2 person seemed like a nice guy (and I gathered he actually did most of the day-to-day running of the firm), but he could barely conceal his contempt for her during my interview.

Since I had quickly decided that I had no desire to work there, I found it all rather amusing, in a sad sort of way. I pity the pour souls who end up spending their careers at places like that.

Apr 9, 07 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

BTW, thanks for the helpful info, +1 and ChAOS. Based on my prior salary history and what I'm reading above, it's looking like mid-to-upper 50's might be a good range, provided I actually have a decent level of responsibility and I'm not just being used as a CAD monkey.

Apr 9, 07 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Yeah, it could be a different person. The only negative vibe I got from this person was the money thing and they didn't seem to do anything for IDP. Other than that, she sounded pretty nice.

I did meet plenty of people like you described in NYC. Some of them were total a-holes too about the way the did things. At least they were up front and said that they wanted me to just do CAD work.

On the other hand, everyone in DC was super nice and they were offering jobs every which way with decent starting salaries. And the work looks good too.

Apr 9, 07 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I wonder if I lot of the Washington firms are doing GSA work for the feds, which can be a nice cash cow. Hence, they'd be able to offer better salaries. I'm not certain, but I think the cost of living in the DC area is almost up there with NYC and Boston now.

Apr 9, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

LiG, given that you are looking for a place comparable to Peter Gluck, i would be pretty surprised if you end up in the mid-50s...be prepared to hear some considerably lower number. as others have stated, though, it will be up to you to justify your salary. the reason why most NYC architecture firms are notoriously cheap is

1. they have a glut of good people looking for jobs, so being good isn't a commodity as in other cities
2. they have considerably more expensive office spaces, general office expenditures
3. work in nyc is notoriously political and hard to get built, therefore there is a lower billable hour to reimbursable hour ratio here (from my experience)...you will typically have to draw to a much higher level to get what you want.
4. your previous experience will be discounted, i've seen registered architects treated like interns. project management experience elsewhere does not necessarily mean you will be viewed as that in nyc...just be aware of this.
5. did i mention there is a glut of good people here? that's the numero uno reason. i charge less because frankly, as frankie said, "if you can make it here you can make it anywhere" and everyone wants to prove they can do just that.

this has just been my experience....but you will find out for yourself. just be aware that these are some things i have typically seen.

Apr 9, 07 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

LIG have you looked into temp agencies/headhunters for creative people in NYC? From time to time, I see jobs available for things like exhibition designers for trade shows, PMs, CAD, graphics people, etc. that are freelance or short-term. That might be a good option for you since you are planning to go to school. Several of my friends have worked for such agencies and gotten very good placements with good pay, and no guilt when they want to leave to take up another offer or do their own thing (most of the people I know who do this are in bands that go on tour from time to time, or are artists in their own right who work in between gigs to make ends meet.) You might also look into places like Grid2, Baron & Baron, or Ralph Appelbaum... graphic design/advertising/exhibition desigin offices that do some interior/trade booth/exhibit stuff. They employ quite a few temp employees during "crunch" times.

I suggest this because it doesn't sound like, at this point, you're looking for something which will skyrocket your career - just something to keep you in the field and earning a wage while establishing residency for grad school.

Apr 9, 07 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

and to riff off of nambyphambics post...you might also really want to consider a set design company. i know some people that work in that industry and it can pay really well and be a lot of fun. one to look at that design and fabricate is readyset in brooklyn....might be another interesting thing to look into. they often look for a lot of people for the summer since that is high set design time.

Apr 9, 07 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Are there any temp agencies in NYC that specialize in architecture/design positions? Here in Chicago we have Consulting for Architects, Architemps, and BECO Group to name a few... Are there any comparible firms to check out in NYC?

I've done temp work before and generally hated it, but it's something worth considering.

Apr 9, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

I don't know about any architecture specfic ones, but maybe someone will chime in...

Apr 9, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

we haev cfa here in new york as well...i'm sure there are others.
cfa is great for a short term job..if you want to work for stern,
kpf, or some random firm...the hourly rate is usually pretty
decent and you'll get paid for every hour you work which can't be
said for most firms here.

Apr 9, 07 5:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: