Archinect
anchor

Architecture in College? Who needs it!

Jbond

Actually, if Bobbi is in fact a joke, I applaud those behind it for their unrivaled genius.

Apr 8, 07 2:14 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

What i find hugely ironic is that many of these "old styles" that builders homes like to emulate were created with sustainability in mind. The reason alot of these older homes look like they do is because they were made in an era before HVAC and resources were localized and harder to come by. Now these old "styles", or movements as they should probably be refered to as are but decor or some hideously wasteful and grotesque Mc. Mansion. Like I said, i think the Bobbis (contractors) of the world could learn alot from us, and think we can learn alot from them.

Apr 8, 07 2:53 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

You've got it backwards. First, it is more than scenographics(its okay i've read Frampton too and i aint talkin peter) The reason these homes look the way they do has to do with symbolism.
The "collective masses" have a collective memory and I would put it on the table that more research in sustainablity and energy conservation is being done by The Association of American Home Builders than by all America's Architecture Schools combined.

For example, all the things that you love to hate ie hardiplank siding and treks decking, that are used on houses like these are recycled and leed approved materials.

As soon as the market for shiny eye injury causing jaggedy houses reaches critical mass, it will be filled.

Apr 8, 07 9:16 am  · 
 · 
vado retro
ExAmPlE
Apr 8, 07 9:19 am  · 
 · 
runawaygirl

although i agree,u dont need the schooling to be a great architect.but c'mon,bobbi that post of you guys,is just pushing it!architecture is something that evolves,not a building a 5yr old kid could come up with.
and do u really think its about the money you earn at the end,and the flashy cars you drive?if so,then i must say,you've gotten it all wrong my friend.

Apr 8, 07 9:54 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

Ode To Billi P. (to be sung to the melody of Ode To Billie Joe by the great Bobby Gentry.)

By VadoRetro

It was the third of June, another boring suburban day
I was playin nintendo and my brother had an axe he was tryin to play
And at dinner time we microwaved a pizza while we got high
And Mom called on her cell "Throw those towels in they need to dry."
And then she said "I got some news this morning from Choctaw Ridge"
"Today Billi P is building a house across the Talahatchee Bridge"

And Dad said to Mom as he passed her a zima on ice
"Well, when Billi P builds them, he builds 'em nice.
"There's five more acres being developed off the interstate"
And Mom said, "a new outlet mall there would be just great."
Seems like nothin' ever good got built up on Choctaw Ridge
Until Billy P broke ground across the Tallahatchie Bridge.

And my brother said his friend Tom lives in a house by Billie P
Tom said its so big he's got a family he never has to see
Its got a media center with a giant screen plasma tv,
Since it was close to the highway, Billi P threw it in for free.
I saw him at the Home Depot yesterday on Choctaw Ridge
And now you tell me Billi P's breaking ground across the Tallahatchie Bridge"

And Mom said to me "What's happened to your appetite?"
"I've ordered this carry out Chinese and you haven't touched a single bite"
"Well you must be nervous about your application to that expensive school.
"And my brother said that shiny pointy architecture building looked wicked cool"
and Dad said "when you're architect you can get a job on Choctaw Ridge"
"Helping Billi P build houses across the Tallahatchie Bridge"

A year has come since we heard about Billi P.
And my bro knocked Becky Thompson, they're livin in the basement because its free.
There was a crisis going 'round, Dad caught it and ran off with his receptionist
And now Mom doesn't do much, but she sure is pissed.
And me, I spend a lot of time pumpin cad for Billi P. on Choctaw Ridge

Because business is good across the Tallahatchie Bridge...

Apr 8, 07 10:25 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

*applause*

Apr 8, 07 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

WTF? I go to Italy for 3 days and this happens? boy did this explode.

Apurimac, i noted in the first comment to this page that you don't have to go to college to be an architect traditionally (apprenticeship).

Bobbi, you're wife told me that all you care about is money and not the family or the wellbeing of others. Mind you she only told me about this during the "pillow talk" phase after...well...you know.

Apr 8, 07 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
+i

ah... perfect...

http://enr.ecnext.com/free-scripts/comsite2.pl?page=enr_document&article=febiar070409a-1

(please read section entitled "Excessive Ego")

*Contractors these days often proclaim that times have never been better, saying, “If you aren’t making money now, you shouldn’t be in the business.”

Enjoy it while you can. Some of the corporations making money today won’t be in business 10 years from now, at least not in the same way, if recent history is a guide.*

Apr 8, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

vado there's nothing wrong with hardiplank and trex IF they are used intelligently in terms of craft (i.e. Hardiplank not used with properly installed vapor barriers and venting in the Pacific Northwest becomes a beautiful growing medium for mushrooms) and culture (i.e. Trex used to "replicate" Victorian scrollwork is innaporporiate for the amterial, as well as nostalgic, and would just look stupid).

And as for the people buying those houses being as educated as we elite architects are, I'm too busy to look up the statisitcs, though I have very recently, but in the US something like 20% of the population have undergraduate degrees and less than 5% have master's degrees so guess what we "elite" architects actually ARE more educated! There's nothing wrong with being uneducated but being ignorant and unwilling to learn is another thing entirely.

Haha hand me another glass of Easter Chardonnay!

Apr 8, 07 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
med.

The Easter thread that Bobbi started perfectly exemplifies his mentalitiy.

Apr 8, 07 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i have a feeling he's going to become an archinect staple, kind of like vin/per.

Apr 8, 07 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

bobbi,

i use 5/8" for ceilings, and 1/2" for walls. i miss you.

Apr 8, 07 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you need 5/8" for your garage wall if it is against the rest of the house ya'll.

Apr 8, 07 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
migrod

well, in all justice i was quite ignorant about architecture before college. the only reason i enrolled was because all i could remember of my childhood, wasn't names, faces, smells, or flavors. it was just spaces. i could remember people's houses and churches and stadiums. i could remember the feelings caused by scale and lighting. i could remember materials and colors.

i also tried to design a house before college. it was a four story cylinder with a ramp lining the interior perimeter connecting all of the floors. it is by far the ugliest building imaginable.

this guy thinks he knows architecture. he doesn't know any better as neither did it. he knows construction and selling. that's not architecture. this is no different than comparing a coloring book with a painting. his buildings move no one. but we can't blame him or attack him. he just doesn't know, but he's willing. that is our job. let's educate our clients about the effects of good substantial design.

Apr 9, 07 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
hermangator1

as a graduating high school senior who has just finished read this entire thread, i would like to say... YAY RISD

Apr 10, 07 1:22 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

right, right. i was getting beefy for the rafter spacing though.

Apr 10, 07 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

wtf? your name was Bobbi Permanti, now its Peackockie? You emailed admin and changed your name? Now your profile says you live in LA, and that you are an arch grad from UCLA? *snif snif* I smell something...smells like bull shit.

Apr 23, 07 4:36 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not sure you have to email them anymore.

Apr 23, 07 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

SBD, keepin' it real as usual.

Apr 23, 07 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

really? you don't?

Apr 23, 07 5:29 pm  · 
 · 

nope. Go up to the top of your screen, select 'Edit Profile', and change at will.

Just have some consideration for the rest of the users, we'd like to still know that it's you somehow!

Apr 23, 07 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

BITCHEN!

Apr 23, 07 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

dude, did you just change your name? coolies!

Apr 23, 07 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

hells yes!

Apr 23, 07 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the messenger's name is unimportant. the message, now that is important.

Apr 24, 07 9:10 am  · 
 · 
+i

I heard this old story before
Where the people keep on killing for their metaphors
But don't leave much up to the imagination,
So I, wanna give this imagery back
But I know it just ain’t so easy like that
So I turn the page and read the story again
and again and again
It sure seems the same, with a different name
We're breaking and rebuilding
and we're growing
always guessing

Never knowing
We're shocking but we're nothing
We're just moments, we're Clever but we're clueless
We're just human, amusing and confusing
Were trying but where is this all leading?
We'll Never Know

It all happened so much faster than you could say disaster
Wanna take a time lapse and look at it backwards
Find the last one and maybe that’s just the answer that we're after
But after all we're just a bubble in a boiling pot
Just one breath in a chain of thought
We're moments just combusting
We feel certain but we'll never, never know
It sure seems the same, give it a different name
We're begging and we're needing
and we're trying and we're breathing

Knock, knock coming door to door
To tell ya that their metaphor is better than yours
And you can either sink or swim things are looking pretty grim
If you don’t believe in what they're spoon feeding
Its got no feeling so I read it again and again and again

It sure seems the same so many different names
Our hearts are strong our heads are weak
We'll always be competing

Never knowing
We're shocking but we're nothing
We're just moments, we're Clever but we're clueless
We're just human, amusing and confusing
But the truth is all we got is questions
We'll Never Know

Apr 24, 07 11:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: