Archinect
anchor

M. Arch acceptance rates?

glutisolator615

Does anyone know if these are accessible anywhere? I can find undergraduate accepance rates at nces.ed.gov but not the information for graduate programs. anyone?

Apr 3, 07 2:01 pm
bowling_ball

You may have to contact the specific school. I know that my school keeps these stats on its website.

Apr 3, 07 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

thanks jason!

Apr 3, 07 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

that is for the 2002-03 year

Apr 3, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

that thing is so out of date. look at the prices for school on there. i wish it was still that cheap.

Apr 3, 07 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Do schools even disclose acceptance rates?

Apr 3, 07 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Here's the M.Arch. I acceptance rates for some selected schools, according to the Guide to Architecture Schools, Seventh Edition (published in 2003):

Arizona State: 37%
Columbia: No info given
Cornell: No info given
Georgia Tech: 48%
Harvard GSD: No info given
IIT: 61%
MIT: 14%
Miami (Ohio): No info given
NJIT: 36%
Ohio State: 20%
Parsons: 50%
Pratt: 65%
Princeton: 8%
RISD: No info given
Rice: 15%
SCAD: 87%
SCI-Arc: 40%
Syracuse: 80%
U of British Columbia: 30%
UC Berkeley: 15%
UCLA: No info given
U of Cincinnati: 25%
UIC: 36%
U of Illinois Urbana: 18%
U of Michigan: 79%
UPenn: No info given
USC: 25%
UT Austin: 35%
UVA: 18%
Washington U: 69%
Yale: 9%

Apr 3, 07 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

BTW, supposedly a new edition of the Guide to Architecture Schools "will be released in 2006", according to the ACSA website.

Apr 3, 07 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

interesting #s

Apr 4, 07 4:06 am  · 
 · 
bucku

too bad three of my hopefulls arent posted...

Apr 4, 07 4:33 am  · 
 · 
TED

its a surprise with michigan at 79% -- i think all you 'rejected applicants' should look hard at that number - its a very good school - get your ass in mich now - get residency and apply next year!! [hear that GiN!- ditch NY] $8600/per year with residency -- cant beat it for any of the ivies on the list

Apr 4, 07 4:58 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I've considered Michigan, and may apply there next year. It's doubtful that I could handle living there for a year before starting school, though.

Apr 4, 07 8:04 am  · 
 · 
TED

you should look honestly at yourself - remember schools maybe spend what 10 minute on a candidates application [maybe 15?] -- your background is very colorful and i would give you a place straight away but its a bit harder in those horty-dorty institutions --easy to do the first cut strickly on the numbers -- gpa and so on - maybe before you turn away from living in MoTown [which i think is great but i love edgy places] go back to cornell[assuming you dont get in which is bold of me to say at this time but at least it appears you werent on the first cut] and have a honest heart to heart with the chiefton there on what you have to do to get in -doing the summer thing is a good start-- but mich is really a top notch school. you should also really see what chances you get for scholarship and aid - if they really only partially fund the top 20% of the candidates will you be considered? could you aford cornell without any support from them [outside loans which are not really support!]

do you know anyone with a summer house there where you can 'move to' on paper? just as a back up. i wont tell you where i voted in the last presidential election but it wasnt in Illinois...

ok - back to writing 10,000 word paper on shit!

Apr 4, 07 11:51 am  · 
 · 
TED

but if you do end up in NY apply for also to a state univeristy as a back up!

Apr 4, 07 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

michigan residency is so much harder to getn than jut living for a year. it's not like california. check the admissions website.

Apr 4, 07 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'll most likely apply to the City College of New York next year, which has a new M.Arch. program that seems to be off to a good start. I'm not sure what their acceptance rate is (it's a much smaller program than Michigan), but their tuition for NY state residents is peanuts compared to most other schools.

Syracuse is another possibility for me. Their tuition is comparible to that of the Ivies, but they seem pretty generous with their scholarship money, and I like what I've heard about their program so far.

Cornell would probably remain my first choice next year, though. If I get the average scholarship amount there, that would almost put it on the same financial footing as non-resident tuition at many public universities. For the remainder, I'd be willing to take out student loans. Since I already have 11 years of work experience in the field, I'd be going into a higher income bracket post-graduation and thus have an easier time affording the payments compared to an entry-level intern.

My long-term goal is to build my career in NYC, so I may as well move there and start networking as soon as possible.

Apr 4, 07 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

This year, just tuition at Michigan's Taubman School of Architecture and Planning is $18,500 for in-state students. I am in state and was shocked to see tuition so high. It's still a great school though

Apr 4, 07 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

wow! thats a lot for a state school, but still not bad compared to private schools. whats there out-of-state tuition?

Apr 4, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
RNNR

...lest we forget the nice endowments of private schools, leading to better scholarship packages...

Apr 4, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 

But there are more opportunities for TA and RA positions at big private schools, which can lead to better overall funding packages.

Apr 4, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 

durr, big PUBLIC schools.

Apr 4, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

you can do the same thing at big private schools too. I am gonna be a TA at Syracuse but they also have a large undergrad population to allow that. so it just depends on the school i guess. private schools are generally gonna have more money to give to students.

Apr 4, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

I think Michigan is 32-33 grand out of state. Talking to a grad student there, that school hands out a lot of money after your first year, on par with private schools.

Apr 4, 07 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
fad gadget

michigan gives out an automatic $1,000 grant to study abroad too. tom buresh said, "I know Michigan is in the middle of nowhere and it is important for you to get out and see the world."

Apr 6, 07 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
JOM

Heres some numbers I have gathered either from other people or through personal reference for this years applicant pool. I think these numbers are for M Arch only, not necessarily including Urban Planning.

WashU- 11%
Rice- 6%
UPenn- 9%
UT Austin- 23%

They are pretty accurate.

Apr 10, 07 8:33 pm  · 
 · 

at penn's open house, dean gary hack said they accepted 1 out of every 7 applicants this year, which is ~14%.

Apr 11, 07 2:29 am  · 
 · 
magic_pie

thats because tom buresh is from iowa

Apr 11, 07 3:50 am  · 
 · 
JOM

My Bad.
Actually WashU said they had about 440 applicants and they took 80 that makes it more like 18%

Apr 15, 07 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

JOM. Were you at Wash U's open house?

Apr 15, 07 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

UT Austin admitted 1/4 of total applicants this year.

Apr 15, 07 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
citizen4nr

I was really surprised at Michigan's number. Whats the deal there?

Apr 15, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

which is pretty close to your 23%, JOM. didn't check it before posting :p

Apr 15, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

citizen4nr, my strictly uninformed guess is that their facilities can accommodate more students. Also, even though Michigan has an excellent program and faculty, there are so many other schools with higher profiles so many students choose to attend elsewhere. Michigan realizes that so they accept much more than they can actually accommodate in order to maintain a reasonable cushion.

Apr 15, 07 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
Tony Snow

I doubt those Michigan and WashU numbers were ever within 40% of the true acceptance rates.

On the other hand, you would think ArchRecord or ACSA would double-check those data points before they published.

Does anyone have a more accurate Ohio State number?

Apr 15, 07 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
designbydesign

Wash U. is it a good school? better than like... risd or penn?

Apr 15, 07 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
n_

yes, wash u is a good school. so is risd. and penn, for that matter.

don't worry so much about the rankings. most of it is arbitrary anyway.

find the program the fits the best for you.

Apr 15, 07 7:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: