Archinect
anchor

i need a car

tzenyujuei

So after bumming rides off of people for the last two years, I think its time for a car. What does a soon to graduate and go out into the real world architect drive?

Mar 29, 07 4:12 pm
won and done williams

Dodge Charger (with a Hemi)

Mar 29, 07 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

This is what I 'drove' when I graduated...

Mar 29, 07 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
cmu268

a GEMcar:

Mar 29, 07 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Zaha Hadid's Z.CAR project

2 seat, hydrogen powered, speed adjusted wheelbase, carbon fiber composite construction, and all for only $65,000.

Mar 29, 07 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

toyota corolla. Good gas mileage and toyota offers the new graduate financing on them.

Mar 29, 07 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
not without

you do live in the real world, in fact, you've been bumming rides in it for the last two years! take a bus

Mar 29, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

for $65,000, I would get a hummer

Mar 29, 07 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'll most likely be selling my 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited this spring. $4500 and it's yours.

Mar 29, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

man if it was the unlimited i'd be down. but i am already limited in so so many ways.

Mar 29, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

if i had $65,000 id hire someone to beat up people who own hummers

Mar 29, 07 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
cmu268

i bet i could find someone to give me a hummer for much cheaper than 65,000...

haha

Mar 29, 07 5:25 pm  · 
 · 

you should all be ashamed of yourselves for owning gas gusselling cars....

find something efficient and suitable like a

Mar 29, 07 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Check your employment contract: I think you'll find you have to get a SAAB.

Mar 29, 07 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Hey Techno - that Mini is in my home town! Note the boats and sky tower.

Mar 29, 07 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

despite the awesome suggestions I am afriad I will have to keep this car to the smaller side of the scale. i know the usual contenders are the Civic and Corolla.... but anybody have a small car they want to add to my list of "check it out"?

Mar 29, 07 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

dude. buy a bmw from a single owner who's had it in the garage: like a 325i or 325e 1985-1990. They get great gas mileage (specifically the 325e) and if taken care of, will last you well into 300k or more. I'd get a manual tranny.

I had a 1985 325e that had a 12 gallon tank and I got 488 miles out of it on the highway which is close to 40 mpg. I think I paid $2400 for it During it's lifetime, I had some maintenance done but not all of it was necessary totalling around $1000.

Also, it isn't always true tha maintenance on a BMW is expensive. It depends on who you take it to. Parts can be expensive through a dealer or certified mechanic, but usually, you can order the parts yourself from a OEM provider and waive the warranty from someone who can put them on and save a ton of money. I don't mean waive the warranty as in they won't do as good of a job, but that since you bought the parts, they can't warranty them.

Mar 29, 07 5:59 pm  · 
 · 

sweet - go Oz

Mar 29, 07 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Mate - Auckland is in NZ. We'll just pretend you were being facetious!

Mar 29, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
oooo

honda fit
$1500 enw
great gas mileage
very flexible seating and carrying capacity... awesome interior
easy to park
turns on a dime

Mar 29, 07 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
oooo

i heard they are giving hummers away for free at gas stations... kinda like epson printers... you pay for the gas/ink

Mar 29, 07 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

MDLER WAS HERE

Mar 29, 07 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

just make sure its bio-diesel

Mar 29, 07 6:29 pm  · 
 · 

sorry diabase - that was a f'u because of beating us in cricket today! Sux to be us right now

anyway

how about one of these...

Mar 29, 07 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

i was thinking about getting the car down in Atlanta where my parents are and driving back up to NY... only reason being that taxes on cars are cheaper in Ga. and maybe prices too? I havn't looked into this yet so its just empty speculation

Mar 29, 07 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

a civic is very reliable, and cheap

Mar 29, 07 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

i love that citroen2cv. i always wanted to have one. i heard people stuffed the engine with bananas after running out of oil and the 'two horses' engine ran until they got some help.

i saw this mercedes made in izmir and i really think it is a smart car.
they are going to make it aveilable in n. america i hear. i would hate to be on the side of a 18 wheeler though.

Mar 29, 07 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=P2UUvG-XuQs
]I would Like to thank you[/url]

Mar 29, 07 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist
I would like to thank you
Mar 29, 07 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I thought that might have something to with it. Still, the best team won mate, the best team won. Won. Won. Won.

Mar 29, 07 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

honestly, get Volvo 240D, from the 80's or something, they are cheap as hell, easy to fix, and run forever...it should get you to your next purchase....a Mercedes.

Mar 29, 07 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
n_

whatever you do in life, seriously whatever you do, NEVER ever buy a land rover.

Mar 29, 07 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I second the suggestion about the Volvo... I bought a 1989 Volvo 740 sedan for $400 in 2003, and that thing was pretty much bulletproof. It sold it when I moved to NYC the following year, but I probably could have gotten another 100,000 miles out of it if I had hung onto it and given it some TLC.

Mar 29, 07 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

a few more weeks and our Fit will be delivered! So if you're graduating in a few months, nows the time to place an order so it shows up as your walking down the aisle..

Mar 29, 07 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

Don't buy american... They're all junk.

Mar 29, 07 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i drive a '00 ford focus 3dr hatch, and i love it.

Mar 29, 07 9:11 pm  · 
 · 

diabase...yea I have to route for my region (but I'm a black fan all the way be it cricket or rugby - heading to the 7s?)

Mar 29, 07 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
spaghetti

Get the Hummer truck with diesel engine.. its the most energy efficient car...in terms of emission/cargo weight. that is, if you use bio diesel and lug around a lot of wood/materials. (cargo space plus zero emissions...). otherwise the hybrids are nice. VW gti/rabbit if you want something small. or the civic or any of those hybrids...

Mar 29, 07 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
dia

techno - not the 7's no. But I am sooo looking forward to the Rugby World Cup. And the cricket world cup - we might be in with an outside chance. We beat Australia in 3 one-dayer's earlier this year...

Mar 29, 07 9:28 pm  · 
 · 

what was the name of that car that looked like a giant roach and had hydraulics that raised on the turning of the ignitition??

Mar 29, 07 9:40 pm  · 
 · 

NZ has had better luck with the Aussies this year. We've | Windies only beat them once...so we are hoping you give um a loss take the top of the leader board and we can hold up the 3rd position and meet in the semis - how's that?

Mar 29, 07 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

you know i looked at the Fit after some of you suggested it, it looks pretty nice. I am a big fan of hatchbacks. im worried about that little engine though, looked at some reviews saying it struggles when it has to really work

Mar 29, 07 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

citron

Mar 29, 07 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Mar 29, 07 10:27 pm  · 
 · 

3 for citroen can't be wrong!!

Mar 29, 07 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

I think you should buy this...

Seriously though, I'm thinking about either a fit, civic, yaris, corolla - might do some test driving this weekend and see which one i like.

tzenyujuei - I've heard the same thing about the fit. Seems nice, but the engine concerns me.

Mar 29, 07 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

ah your given those a test run, keep me posted! i also saw good things about the Nissan Versa and Mazda 3... you gonna try those out?

Mar 29, 07 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

i am one flux capacitor away from 1985

Mar 29, 07 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

weird! the Nissan Versa and Mazda 3 were on my list as possibilities:) Sure, I can try them out too. I'll keep you posted.

Mar 29, 07 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

merci beaucoup, i await your insight

Mar 29, 07 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
cmu268

this one might be small enough.....i heard it uses hardly any gas

Mar 29, 07 11:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: