Archinect
anchor

BOOKS | BOOKS | BOOKS

So there are like a thousand threads about books on archinect running at anyone time...but

Here's the thing I need to order some books like between now and the end of the month. A present to myself for my birthday that needs to get to me in time for my birthday (12th April)

So I need your recommendations

Mar 28, 07 11:10 pm
post-neorealcrapismist

learning from las vegas, leaving las vegas and suburban nation. all three are great reads

Mar 28, 07 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

if you want something obscure...

Michael Alder - Das Haus als Typ.

Alder worked and taught in basel, before the morger + degelo/herzog + de meuron/diener + diener explosion.

meinrad morger, hanspeter mueller, and isabel furtado (Serôdio, Furtado & Associados) worked for him. his houses are phenomenal.

Mar 28, 07 11:58 pm  · 
 · 

thank post...some good suggestions

Mar 28, 07 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
ross

non-architectural: check out 'cloud atlas'

Mar 29, 07 12:00 am  · 
 · 
mdler

on weathering

Mar 29, 07 12:12 am  · 
 · 
mdler

put $1200 into my PayPal account, and you will have yourself a nice copy of Zumthor Works

Mar 29, 07 12:13 am  · 
 · 

why is everyone so keen to sell their Zumthor? Did you get it off the back of a truck?

Mar 29, 07 12:27 am  · 
 · 
joe

not architecture, but...........

The Road
by: Carmac McCarthy

Mar 29, 07 12:36 am  · 
 · 

no see name...I read architect books sonny. What's that "road" about anyway...probably some civil engineers handboob

Mar 29, 07 1:37 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

get george carlin's trilogy...

brain droppings
napalm and silly putty
when will jesus bring the pork chops

Mar 29, 07 2:50 am  · 
 · 
cj w.

speakin of books... maybe the newest by actar - the function of ornament?? has anyone seen this one? if so, is it good? what are your synopses?

Mar 29, 07 9:56 am  · 
 · 

ok here's the list so far

Concrete Architecture: Tone, Texture, Form
Concrete Architecture: Design and Construction
Suburban Nation: The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American Dream
Louis I. Kahn: 1901 - 1974: Enlightened Space
Constructing Architecture: Materials, Processes, Structures
The Alexandria Link: A Novel

the last one is for my dad - i'm keeping it strickly architecture

I'm not too sure about the Duany book, since i know it will be about trying to get me to swallow some new urbanism crap

and if anyone is feeling real kind and wants send a book over for me i'll send you the address of the wish list

Mar 29, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

anything by Joyce Carol Oates

Mar 29, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
Alackrity

American Psycho

Mar 29, 07 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

last day to pitch your ideas...

anything with really great photography? Any europeans want to throw their money | thoughts into the hat?

I was very interested in a book on Enric Miralles; the monograph done inbetween carme & benedetta but its out of print via amazon

Mar 30, 07 12:44 am  · 
 · 
beaglebot

I picked up the Function of Ornament book a couple weeks ago. I dig it. I believe it was actually put together by a recent GSD class. It's good to flip through and provides a nice starting point if you're interested in more detail on facade systems in a wide range of buildings.

Mar 30, 07 1:56 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)
David Adjaye, Houses

impressed me.

Mar 30, 07 2:02 am  · 
 · 
Helsinki

I'm pushing Goldhagen's "Louis Kahn's situated modernism" - best n´book on kahn I've read - puts him into context cleverly and has interesting project descriptions. It's a textbook. not many images.

Mar 30, 07 2:03 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I just bought this one on Kahn. Nice pictures, good renderings and models of Kahn's buildings.

Mar 30, 07 2:25 am  · 
 · 
moratto

My favorite books that I own:

Phylogenesis - FOA
Gordon Matta-Clark - Diserens
Informal - Balmond
Egon Schiele: Drawings & Watercolors - Kallir
SMLXL - Koolhaas (obvious)
Covering + Exposing - Werner
Gyroscopic Horizons - Denari

Calvin and Hobbes: Its a Magical World - Watterson

Mar 30, 07 2:43 am  · 
 · 
mleitner

I second For an Architecture of Reality and add Bernhard Rudofsky: Streets for People.
If you really want to spend some money get the three volumes on Alvar Aalto.
A new one I just got Franz Riepl Architekt by Peters. English and German, havn't finished it but have heard Riepl speak and was impressed. Nothing for you if you are looking for flashy designs.

Mar 30, 07 3:16 am  · 
 · 
mleitner

@agfa8x

how is that Kahn book. I have not seen it and am still looking for "the" Kahn book. Better than the silver exhibit catalogue?

Mar 30, 07 3:18 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I think it's really good. It has nicely rendered models of unbuilt projects, is well written and has plenty of plans and sections and Kahn's drawings. It doesn't cover much in the way of Kahn's domestic work. It's my only Kahn book, and I'm very happy with it. It's nicely bound and printed, too, which matters. It makes his spaces, especially his big public spaces, look astonishing. I don't know the catalogue book.

Mar 30, 07 3:50 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

if you can find a walter pichler monograph, highly recommend it.

Mar 30, 07 4:40 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

jitka hanzlova-forest

Mar 30, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i know who you are...thanks for the fig pie...

Mar 30, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis
One of my all time favorites.
Mar 30, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
e

nine chains to the moon by buckminster fuller

Mar 30, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

kristin,

i'm good, what's up with you?...working for a design-build office in mar vista and i do a 9am-11am and 7pm-9m posting shift on archinect...

Mar 30, 07 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

yeah let's kick it...i'll email you

Mar 30, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

BOOKS | BOOKS | BOOKS

Mar 30, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 

come on kristin...offer up some commentary on the books damnit; what should i get?

Mar 31, 07 1:04 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

kristin,
nice seeing you...that was fun!

Apr 1, 07 6:12 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

bump

So I have one book in my amazon shopping cart, ready to go. but in the spirit of owning more books, economic stimulus check, and the amount of time it's been since I've purchased something, I'm looking for some suggestions beyond what's been talked about above.

Specifically, I'm looking for monograph from a firm or architect, perhaps something more recent, you know the type of book you keep by your desk at work because it seems like there's always a page you can flip to to get inspiration from, one that doesn't fall under some of the vices that a lot of monographs do (too many pictures and/or no words and vice versa, distracting/poor graphic design, bad organization, done by a second hand editor with what seems like little input from the architect... etc).

Super clean well detailed european wooden boxes, austere spanish concrete monoliths, foldy japanese metal abstractions; anything influenced by the name that building thread... any suggestions?

Jun 3, 08 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

phu, some suggestions…

morger + degelo
gigon_guyer
mendes de rocha
burkhalter sumi
dietrich untertrifaller
baumschlager eberle
kienast vogt
rcr
kengo kuma
saarinen
gert windgardh
claus en kaan
antoniol + huber
h&dem
sverre fehn
mathias klotz
sean godsell
abalos + herreros
bcj – 12 works
neutelings riedijk
shigeru ban
WYSIWYG – sauerbruch hutton
Tezuka architects

Alternatively, invest in an el croquis, A10 or detail subscription…

Jun 3, 08 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, i second klotz. i've been wanting to get this:

mathias klotz: architecture and projects

Jun 3, 08 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

thanks for the suggestions guys.. the klotz will go to the wishlist for a later time. Wingardh's 30 years of architecture is getting added (I'm a sucker for anything Birkhäuser, someday I'll own the H&deM complete works, or at least one of them). The tezuka was the first one in, and I think the claus en kaan is going to make it in there as well. sounds like a good trifecta for my small library. I have a few on your list Holz.. I've wanted to get a B&E one for awhile, there's just a lot out there and I'm hesitant to buy one blind, we have the 2G one in the office, you have one yourself you could recommend?

Jun 3, 08 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i have the two liesbeth waechter-böhm b&e books, housing and her monograph.

they’re good, a bit too much text, and not so much fancy photos and almost zero details, unfortunately.

there is a newer one that might be promising, i haven’t had a chance to browse.

Same story w/ the dietrich untertrifaller mogr. as well (d|u: architektur, staedtebau design)

if you like their work, look for the christian lenz / hermann kaufmann monograph. similar style (both a bit younger than b&e) better photos and details.

All 3 are in german/english

otto kapfinger is writing a hermann kaufmann book that looks rather promising as well (check amazon)

Jun 3, 08 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

The Search Inside function doesn't do Reiser & Umemoto's Atlas of Novel Tectonics full justice. It is a multi-sensorial joy.

Jun 3, 08 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
yepp111

Just type in Bible on ABE and click highest price

Jun 3, 08 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

phu,

a few more suggestions now that i am home...

monographs:
aldo van eyck
clark & menefee
tom kundig
OSKA
pawson
morphosis
lewerentz
future systems
barkow leibinger
theo hotz
dominque perrault
atelier 5
charles rose
jersey devil

the in detail & construction atlases are a nice addition as well.

Jun 3, 08 8:49 pm  · 
 · 

always cool when someone bumps a thread you've created

Jun 3, 08 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I've been wanting this Mathias Klotz for too long.

Jun 4, 08 9:45 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

the 2g is devoid of legible drawings

Jun 4, 08 11:08 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

thanks for the extended list holz and additional suggestions guys... also on the horizon:

MGF monograph
MAD dinner
jensen skodvin stateside in august

and anyone know what this zumthor is all about?

Jun 4, 08 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

wow, thanks for all the del.icio.us fodder guys!

Jun 4, 08 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
quiksilver

Rafael Moneo - Theoretical Anxiety and Design Strategies

This was a really great and easy-to-read breakdown of eight different architects and their approach to architecture. It's also interesting to read Moneo's thoughts on them.

Jun 4, 08 1:20 pm  · 
 · 

1966 the number of posts for dread the controller | 1966 HIS visit to Jamaica. Coincidence? I don't think so!!

His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I, Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah, King of Kings of Ethiopia and Elect of God

Jun 4, 08 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

oops he's only at 1962...

Jun 4, 08 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

ha ha ha ha

Jun 4, 08 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: