Archinect
anchor

IDP Questions - NY State

Living in Gin

I have a question regarding IDP credits, specifically for the state of New York.

My situation is a little unique. For those who don’t already know, I already have about 11 years of experience at various architecture firms. Unfortunately, I don’t yet have an NCARB file set up and none of it is documented for IDP purposes.

My education background: I began a pre-professional degree at UIC in 1995, left the program in 1999, and now I’m finishing up a non-architecture BA degree at DePaul University. I plan to begin my professional M.Arch. degree in the fall of 2008.

As far as I can tell, NCARB and the state of Illinois don’t let you earn IDP credits until after you’ve completed your third year of a pre-professional undergrad degree or your first year of a professional M.Arch. degree.

However, my plan is to move to NYC sooner or later and become registered in the state of New York (with reciprocity in other states to follow, presumably). In doing some digging around on the web, New York State seems a bit more liberal in terms of what they accept for IDP, and they even seem to have a provision for allowing people to become registered architects without a professional degree at all. (Not that I plan on going that route; I plan on getting my M.Arch. regardless.)

So… Is it worth my time and money to go ahead and establish an NCARB file, and try to get my current and former employers to sign off on my IDP forms? Is there some resource on the web or some person I can contact to determine how much, if any, of my experience would count for IDP in New York State?

Thanks in advance…

Mar 28, 07 11:34 am
aseid

ny state will not accept the credits while you were in school at all

nysed

just went through this myself

ncarb does apparently and will log idp credit as ok, but state board will request letter of certification from employer for hours to make up any differences

better call them to verfify, they are nice but can be slow in processing so get a head start early if you do plan to make it happen

Mar 28, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
aseid

oh, also you must do IDP as well, log time from out of school though and you will kill 2 birds with one stone, and guarantee yourself an expeditious process

Mar 28, 07 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

NY State apparently doesn't accept credits earned while you're a full-time student. However, I've been a part-time student off and on since 1998. A large percentage of my experience has been earned while not enrolled in classes at all.

Mar 28, 07 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
aseid

again better call them on this one, they are touchy, i think you may have a case but never can be too sure

Mar 28, 07 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Thanks...

I just found the name and contact information for the IDP Coordinator for New York State, so I'll probably shoot him an email soon.

Mar 28, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

NY will only accept IDP credits earned while you were a student if you were enrolled less than half-time.
All IDP credits (for both NCARB and NY) must be either form a fulltime job (no less than 35 hours per week for 8 weeks consecutively) or from a part-time situation that was for at least 6 consecutive months for no less than 20 hours per week.
Anytime you fall below these minimums you have to start counting again as if it is a new employment situation.

Regarding reciprocity: to get it in most states you'll have to complete IDP to NCARB's standards eventually (meaning you'll have to accumulate the 3 years of experience after the third year of your pre-arch degree or the 1st year of your M.Arch, depending on whether your 4-year degree is generally considered a "4" component of a "4+2" curriculum...)

A lot of states require NCARB certification to get reciprocity (this is something you have to apply for after completion of you get your 1st license.)
This would definately require completion of "regular" IDP.
Some states don't required NCARB certification, but most still require proof of completion of NCARB-IDP. There are a few that have various exceptions, similar to New York's.

Mar 28, 07 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
neek

will new york state accept hours from summer internships that occur while you are a full time student? it was more then 35 hours/week for more then 8 consecutive weeks...

May 1, 07 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: