Archinect
anchor

Does anyone know anything about LAIAD?

glutisolator615

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this program in LA.

Mar 24, 07 12:41 am
punky_brewster

i've heard it's a prep program, sort of like a junior college , for people wanting to apply to grad school, but have weak portfolios, etc.

i have also heard that they have a pretty good success rate at getting people into the ivies...

Mar 24, 07 1:09 am  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

I checked the website and it seems like the program is out of commish. Any thoughts anyone?

Mar 24, 07 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
punky_brewster

link
Mar 25, 07 12:46 am  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

Hey punky,

thanks for the link, but it doesn't seem like they have updated the site in more than a year. I wonder if it has fallen on hard times since no one seems to know about it besides you. Also while they have gotten a few people into the ivies and sci-arc does that necessarily make them a reputable program. The director has a statement on the sight that is stilted to the nth degree: "The most difficult aspect of the design process is to develop an architectural formal language that has an intrinsic correspondance to the underlying idea that has been used as the basis for the design."

If the guy can't ween the fat from a simple sentence I'm sceptical about his ability to do so when it comes to architecture; especially when he's talking about creating "a language."

That said I've heard some good things about the program from one source, but I would like other voices to chime in.

Thanks

Mar 25, 07 4:16 am  · 
 · 

I recently sent LAIAD an email inquiring about their grad prep program - to see if they are full-time, etc. Until a few weeks ago I didn't know they existed. This is what they said:

Our classes meet on Monday and Thursday nights from 6:00 pm to 10:pm. In addition to the class time, you will be working at home on your projects, possibly 20-30 hours per week, depending on how much you wish to excel.

So, they're definitely still an active program, but I have yet to talk to anyone that knows anything about the program and I work in an architecture office in downtown LA.

Apr 30, 07 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

From what I know it is a part of West Los Angeles College. May be try their website or find someone at their admin office.

Apr 30, 07 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
#r##p

glutisolator615,

that is a great name!

anyway, a lot of architects seem to use stilted language. They may be opposed to decorative pillars, but decorative adjectives seem to be okay. Don't let it put you off, the LAIAD is a solid program. I haven't attended it, but I visited it recently and was very impressed. Bill seems like a great guy and his students and instructors seem very positive and motivated. My advice is to call him and visit.

May 4, 07 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
looper222

yes, LAIAD is still alive and well... i am the co-director of the program. sadly, we spend most of our time practicing or in classroom and very little on advertising or outreach.

in short, we teach the first two years of design for both graduate and undergraduate students who then transfer to a 5-year university or graduate program. our program is difficult and intensely focused on developing and exploring process and formal design strategies. as a result, our students have very high success rates at both getting in to the school of their choice and excelling in the program once they get there. we have students and harvard, yale, sciarc, etc...

i'll try to get together a general post about LAIAD on archinect. in the meantime anyone with questions is welcome to contact me directly, stop by the school, or come to our next review.

carl smith, AIA
[email protected]
laiad.com

Jul 22, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
breakankles

Any updates? I am considering starting the prep program in February, but I haven't been able to find any students who are enrolled any of their programs. I even asked a friend who is a grad student at UCLA Arch and she hadn't heard of it. I would like to visit, but I'm on the east coast.

Oct 29, 07 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

It's affiliated with LACC.

Oct 29, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
breakankles

Thanks Janosh. I was talking about feedback/insight from any students.

Oct 29, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
star910

LAIAD is an architecture school is Los Angeles working together with West Los Angeles Community College. In the exbibits that LAIAD has participated, those who haven't heard of the school, are very impressed by the work done by the students. In my opinion it's a great school. Even thought it's a small school, that's what makes it better. I personally don't like big schools where there are too many students & one teacher who doesn't have enought time in class to go around & answer questions. After visiting different schools, I knew LAIAD was the place for me. They are very flexible & they have a friendly faculty. I attended LAIAD for two years & it was great learning experience.

Nov 7, 07 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
breakankles

Thanks star910. I've already applied, I just need to decide what I want to do & confirm my enrollment with a deposit by mid-Jan :-)

Now all I need to is find a place to live & find a new job. LOL

Nov 8, 07 11:04 am  · 
 · 
mdler

i got laiad last night

Nov 8, 07 12:30 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: