Archinect
anchor

what would you do if you are in my situation?

thexm

I got an offer for a summer intern from a corporate firm. However, I am still waiting for call from small firms. I called the firms that I applied to but they have not reviewed my resume and portfolio yet. Some of firms are still in the progress of reviewing or some of them have not reviewed that (small firms seem to be reviewing and planning on hiring interns later).

I am not sure whether or not I should accept an offer from a corporate firm. Should I accept and say no later if I get a better offer? (I don't think it's a good idea though) or Should I just accept the offer and forget other firms that I like to work if I am accepted? but who knows if I can get an offer from firms that I am interested in?

I feel like a selfish bitch.

Any advice?

Mar 23, 07 11:42 pm
tzenyujuei

which firm... where have u worked before... how much are they offering... are you still in school... do you think you have a good shot at the smaller places? we need more details before anyone can tell you anything of worth

Mar 23, 07 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
thexm

well.. I don't want to disclose the name (but you even know what firm is if you hear that) but I do have one summer intern experience last summerand I am still in the shool but I will graduate next year. I don't know how much they will offer (they just left a message tonight). the thing is that I didn't have an interview. This is an odd part. I just applied with my resume and portfolio and got a call.

Also, i don't know how much I can have a good shot from the smaller firms. I like to work for smaller firms (firms I applied to are all interesting places)

I had interviews from smaller firms so far but they said they will let me know in 2-3 weeks. but i don't think the firm offering a job don't wann wait for 2-3 weeks. nonsense...

Mar 23, 07 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
nothing-less

Working at a small firm is pretty good cuz you will learn a lot since you have to do a lot of stuffs. However, it can be very stressful at the time too. It is not really hurted to accept the offer from a corporate firm..you can try to work for them and see what's up. Later on if you dont like it, and get a better offer from a small firm; you can make up any excuse to quit. So, dont worry too much; as long as you get a job and some experience.

Mar 24, 07 4:56 am  · 
 · 

it would be good to have both experiences over the next few years. take the opportunities as they open up to you.

Mar 24, 07 7:50 am  · 
 · 
n_

i would ask the corporate firm if you would be able to have a tour of the office and talk to someone before you accept. that way, you get a better feel for the office and it couid buy you some time.

Mar 24, 07 8:56 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Steven and elvis both have good advice.

Your posted question was "what would you do...? In answer to that, I owuld go ahead and take the job offered (after doing as elvis said and touring their office/meeting face to face first). The peace of mind knowing I had a secure position lined up would make the rest of my semester go much easier. And as suggested, this will be only one of several summer positions and firm experiences.

Mar 24, 07 10:38 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Small firms often don't decide who to hire, or whether to hire at all, until they actually need someone. Often they just won't risk making a commitment to someone in March for a job that starts in May or June. So if I were you I wouldn't count on any of the firms you sent your resume to eventually coming through with a job - or at least not before you need to let this other firm know your decision.

However, if your preference is to work for a small firm then I have no doubt that you could continue to send resumes and contact firms (including those that you already contacted, as summer approaches) and find an opportunity somewhere. Small firms I've worked in have often hired student interns who made the rounds of all the local firms - on foot or by phone - once they returned to the local area for the summer.

If you feel that you'd rather work in a larger firm then take the job. Larger firms run their intern hiring processes more similarly to the way that schools run acceptance procedures. You most likely won't find another similar position if you wait until summer approaches, and while they may be willing to wait a couple weeks for a decision if you discuss that with them they're probably not going to wait a month.

Mar 24, 07 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
matteo

I would accept the work at the corporate office.

You are young and you should experiment both situations, so when you're out of school and must decide where to send your resumes and portfolio you won't waste time and money sending them everywhere to everyone.

Mar 25, 07 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I vote corporate, it is always good to have a known corporate name in your pocket. The summer thing just isn't long enough to even carry you thru a simple project, so other than getting a taste for what happens in an office look at it as a summer experience something like traveling to Europe.

Mar 25, 07 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I personally would skip the corporate and chill for a few months, then make the rounds of the small local firms in May and take a job with one of them. I know this is what I would do, because this is what I have done myself a few times, back in my summer intern days. Not only do I not like corporate firms (it's just not my style, and I don't really care whether I have it on my resume or not), but even if I did, I wouldn't want to work for a firm that hired me without interviewing me. To me that's a big red flag for "this place doesn't care about who you are." A lot of people wouldn't mind that, but I do. Also, I don't feel anxious or stressed if I don't have things planned a couple months in advance. You might be.

So, that's what I would do.

(And by the way, I did eventually add corporate experience to my resume, to make sure I didn't like it; and I didn't.)

Mar 25, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: