Archinect
anchor

Global Studio

nomadzilla

has anyone heard about Global studio, its held annually by Columbia, rome and sydney universities in various locations (Istanbul 2005, Vancouver 2006 and Johannesburg 2007)
too late to apply, but wanted some info on the whole thing.
appreciate info from someone who's been there or has applied previously.

link:
theglobalstudio.com

THX

Mar 23, 07 7:45 am
nomadzilla

OK, since theres been way too many responses(!) i'll appreciate info from anyone who has an opinion.

how much do you think this kind of programs can be effective for an undergrad (/ like myself) to get into a good grad program?

Mar 24, 07 8:36 am  · 
 · 
LaBoule

I've just watched the website. it's sounds great!
I'm feeling bad: I was in Vancouver a few days after this studio... Next time maybe!

Where did you find that? I would like to participate to design charette/studio like this one, I found some architectural design competitions on the web, but not this type of things...

Apr 4, 07 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

I was in Turkey. Great studio and a lot of fun.
C.

Apr 4, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
nomadzilla

laboule;

I haven't found any other program like Global studio,
but their not very organized, they said the notification date would be march 31th, then april 5th, and now april 9th.
it seems like the program is getting to big for them to handle.
I hope i get in for johannesburg 2007 and since i'm from a "developing country", i hope to get most of the cost paid by scholorship.

Apr 5, 07 5:40 am  · 
 · 
nomadzilla

cameron;

is it ok if i mail you?
i have a couple of "technical" questions.

thanks

Apr 5, 07 5:41 am  · 
 · 
nomadzilla

FYI i got invited to GS today!

really looking forward the challange, the fun and of course the scholorship!

Apr 9, 07 10:51 am  · 
 · 
coral

Hey nomadzilla

i just found out i got accepted too. and i'll be looking for a scholarship, except im from a 'developed' country... i might hit up some of the construction companies - anyone got hints?

Apr 11, 07 10:00 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

coral, go local see if you can get $100 from 10 local firms. That should do it. Perhaps AFH should figure out away for students to utilize our 501c3 charitable status as a 'fiscal sponsor'... hmm.

Apr 11, 07 10:30 am  · 
 · 
nomadzilla

coral

since i'm from a "developing" country, there is a chance that i get most of the expenses paid, but i hope it doesn't cost you that much either.
C U in JoBurg!

and Cameron
i think just traveling to turkey was much cheaper than travelling to South africa, since turkey is on the crossroad of europe and asia, but SA is literally on the edge of the earth.
and GS 2007 seems to be longer than GS 2005, it'll be a full one month program.
thus, even 10*100 $ can't cover all the expenses.

Apr 11, 07 11:03 am  · 
 · 
LaBoule

Hey you all,

I wonder how much money cost the whole Global Studio without flying tickets, eating and place to live? 0$? There must be an entry fee right?
I've already checked the website before asking these mad question, but I didn't find...

Apr 11, 07 11:25 am  · 
 · 
nomadzilla

LaBoule;

the registration fee for GS and PBBC is 435 US$, that is of course for the 72 students who were accepted.
all the costs for students are available to see at: http://wwwfaculty.arch.usyd.edu.au/web/future/globalstudio_jo/pdf/GS%20student.doc

Apr 11, 07 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
coral

hey cameron, nomadzilla,

yeah, i worked out the whole thing is going to cost me $4500 AU in total...

do you think i should ask larger construction companies for some funding? or architectural firms?

(hey nomadzilla - i'm from australia, so we are at the end of the earth too, and it costs heaps to get ANYWHERE! haha)

Apr 11, 07 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
nomadzilla

hey coral;

maybe you could consider loan as an option, i don't know your situation, but student/long-term/low-interest-rate loans may be an alternative after dealing with architectural firms or construction companies,

yet, i still think that 4500 AU$ is kinda more than what it really costs?!

in my case, the travel would cost 1400 US$ and stay (registration, 3-day trip, etc...) 1500 US$, thats a total of 2900 US$= 3400 AU$

i don't think your ticket would cost all that much more than mine.

what got it up to 4500$ ???

Apr 11, 07 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
coral

hey nomadzilla,

cheapest flights available for me are 2300-2400 AUD (which is about 1900-2000 USD) - i placed a hold on one today...

so that plus $1500 US for registration, field trip, accom etc makes $3500 US (4300 AU). i'd better get some damn good in-flight meals!

anyway, i'll sort something out for the money - i think this weekend i'll write a heap of letters and spam any company/organisation who i think might help out!

are you going to try to get some funding other than from global studio? if so, what will you try?

Apr 12, 07 7:37 am  · 
 · 
nomadzilla

wow!

i guess your right about the +4000 $ cost,
since they've asked not to request full funding, i'll provide about 1.4 K$, i've negotiated with an architectural firm which i worked with last summer, and they agreed to give me a loan as needed and i'll be repaying them after returning from GS by working at the firm, with a salary twice the amount i got last summer, so by the end of summer i'll be debt-free.

Apr 12, 07 11:38 am  · 
 · 
coral

wow, nice negotiation skills ;) i wonder if my boss will double my salary? (doubtful, as i had to grovel to get 1 month off work.)

if you want some more tips... i got an email today from Jennifer, one of the organisers with a few hints:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1. approach your university

2. approach the local raia (royal australian architecture institute) chapter, if you are a member.

3. approach some architects, ask for a few hundred here and there.

The best approach to take is to talk of the long term benefits. I can
personally attest to the impact this studio has on students who
attend, and those around them. You also need to give back to those
who support you; i.e. do presentations, do an exhibition (i visited
one of the sites for projects today, Alexandra, there are some
beautiful images you can take) photographic, tell stories, present
your student project from the studio, write articles for magazines,
local and national, contribute time to a local community using your
experiences in the studio. All of the above are reasons why people
should support you, and you must acknowledge their assistance in all
you do.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

so, good luck :)

see you in jo'burg

Apr 15, 07 1:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: