Archinect
anchor

MAYA LIN -- contact information

sharkkitten

I have searched the internet over and cannot find any contact information for Maya Lin Studios. I am an interior designer for a big name healthcare interior design firm in California. We have designed a women's health center which will incorporate an art installation featuring "Contemporary Women of Distinction", including Maya Lin. We're trying to contact her office for artwork (a high resolution photograph) to be incorporated into this wall. Does anyone out there know of any way of contacting her or her studio? I keep hitting dead ends. PLEASE HELP!!!

Mar 20, 07 12:57 pm
JMBarquero/squirrelly

have you tried calling the city information in the city where her studio is??

just a thought!

Mar 20, 07 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

this brings back many of the issues exposed durring the last go round about interior design versus architecture.

what if Ms. Lin refuses to participate?

WHY waste wall space with photos of 'women of distinction' (your idea is predicable and pedestrian that it's tacky) when you could just commission one of these women to make a real piece of art for your project???? or just follow the lead of time magazine and stick a mirror up in a nicely captioned frame...

Mar 20, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski's comment has been hidden
brian buchalski

i have her number...and i just left in on the stall next to the second toilet in the men's room. no need to thank me.

Mar 20, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

tree, actually I was thinking the same thing and as I read the post, I thought this person was going to ask for the information because they wanted Maya to actually design something unique for their project.

Turns out all they want is a photo. that's sad!

Mar 20, 07 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

damn, treekiller, chill out.

i think it's a great idea. these small efforts contribute a lot towards a more equitable society.

sadly, i have no contact info.

Mar 20, 07 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

ja, you missed the interior designer thread. it was pretty tense...no out chilling.

Mar 20, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

maybe pedestrian, predictable, and tacky is the general theme of the wall... i mean, if Maya Lin's work is being displayed and all..

Mar 20, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I have seen many mediocre attempts to celebrate people of distinction with plaques, photos or their names carved into bricks scattered around the country. this isn't just a problem of interior designers lacking imagination, but also of architects, 'scapers and urbanistas looking for a cheap 'decorative' theme.

Please don't waste Ms. Lin's time asking for a photo, I would rather she spends her time making good art.

if a more equitable society is your goal, then a few dozen photos in a clinic won't make a real impact. hire some disavantaged kids to paint a mural - there are lots of great organizations in Cali that have beautified our streets and overpasses with murals. that would be real, authentic and make a huge difference for the community.

Mar 20, 07 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
bakema

Maya Lin Studio
112 Prince Street
New York, NY 10012

Tel: +1 212 941 6463
Fax: +1 212 941 6464
e-mail: [email protected]

Mar 20, 07 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

I read the original post as the person wanting to buy a print of Maya Lin's artwork to add to the wall, not necessarily a portrait of Ms. Lin. Maybe I read incorrectly, but in going back, I can't tell. It is true that some people object to being lumped together as "Women professionals" as opposed to just "professionals." Still, there's no way to know unless you ask.

In itself, it's not at all insulting to purchase an existing edition of a print of an artist's work rather than commissioning something brand new (whether the print *is* the original artwork, or it is a reproduction of flatwork or a 2-d representation of a 3-d/time-based piece.)

Mar 20, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'd be happy to be included in a presentation of "women professionals"

Mar 20, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

one item that whilst trivial seems a bit off key here, and that is....this person who posted: sharkkitten, pooped in to ask this question, without even doing research, so it seems, even though she/he claims they did. And low-and-behold one of the newbies is able to provide the info in a flash.

It says something about this sharkkitty, who ever she/he is.

and another thought is....why is it that she/he wasn't told....."have you done a search at the bottom of the page yet" as is most cases when someone asks about something that has been already discussed or placed on a thread.

I still agree with tree:
Ms Lin is phenomenal, and should not be bothered for 'just a photo' of her or her work, but instead should be asked to design something for the space (if that's what they want).

or the latter suggestion of tree's - that of underprivilaged kids.....beautiful idea.

Mar 20, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

If it were any other profession, the person being honored would say, "Sure, take a portrait. Thanks for the recognition." But because we are high-minded architects and every such decision is a matter of art and professional intergrity, we have to rattle on about this for an afternoon. If Lin doesn't want to contribute, she can say no. sharkkitty doesn't need anyone telling him/her what an awful idea it is. And who's to say this firm can't do something really beautiful with their work? I'd like to think the best of our colleagues on this forum.

Mar 20, 07 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

woo is me for being jaded and cynical. that's what happens between 70 posts and 1700 posts...

Mar 20, 07 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
sharkkitten

First of all, I realize why interior designers don't like architects. Most of you are real jerks. Secondly, the idea came from the president of my firm who has been doing innovative healthcare design for over thirty years. In fact, she's led the field and has written numerous books and articles on the subject, including ones you might have had to study in architecture school. Thank you bakema for having the integrity to make a positive contribution in furthering the general public's understanding of how women (and men) in design can impact our society. It may be a small "pedestrian" display, but the client is thrilled, the client selected the women who will be included, and the concept fits into the client's budget. Isn't good design, after all, creating a meaningful space that meets the client's needs?

Mar 20, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
sharkkitten

Okay, not most are jerks, but the ones who are really taint it for those who aren't.

Mar 20, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

jafidler....
i was chastising sharkkitty for what she/he did....I just was basically putting my thoughts out there.

and once tree made that coment, I guess it made me think, and so my posts. So in a round about way, it (I see it as) is a discussion....thats all.

I hope my posts didn't sound jaded or cynical

Mar 20, 07 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
bakema

no worries.

sharkkitten, if you run into a brick wall, ask for someone named selin and tell her that someone from the Salton Sea sent you.

and don't worry about self-loathing architects - it's part of the characted build up - like a tasmanian devil with no one to mate with.

Mar 20, 07 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
sharkkitten

:-) Thank you bakema! Much appreciated.

Mar 20, 07 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

sharkkitten....might I offer a word?
maybe it would help if you (in light of that one post that got many HOT in here - the thread from last year that is) if you could possibly, just maybe contribute every once in a while, and not (seemingly) come into the pool when you are in need of something.

This is not speaking to what you do for a living, it's just about contribution to this little community we have here. Because after all, if you have certain GENERALIZED feelings about architects, I am sure they have some about you and what you do.

just something to chew on

Mar 20, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

*sigh*

if the client is happy then we're happy... that may be the difference between interior designers and architects.

Mar 20, 07 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i spend most of my time trying to piss of my clients.

Mar 20, 07 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
sharkkitten

good point, squirrelly about the generalized assumptions... i am new to this shindig... got into it waiting for my boyfriend's acceptances to MArch1 programs. will try to stop by now and then between big deadlines and that big thing called life....

Mar 20, 07 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

ok ok....sharkkitten (I am going to go out on a limb here) but were you being sarcastic or taking another poke?

"....btwn big deadlines and that big thing called life..."

cmon now, we all have deadlines and do (believe it or not) have lives outside of this.

I just hope it was my misunderstanding, cause otherwise.....well I wont say.

Mar 20, 07 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
sharkkitten

no, no sarcasm. just gotta get back to work now. thanks all for an interesting lunchtime discussion.

how do i end this thing???

Mar 20, 07 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

*sigh* also

"it may be a small pedestrian display, but.."

Mar 20, 07 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
sharkkitten

i am curious about this thread you all have been referring to... some heated debate about/between interior designers and architects?? would love to peruse it some day. anyone remember the topic or the date?

Mar 20, 07 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
sharkkitten

correction
"to some it may be considered a small pedestrian display"

okay, now i really am going now.
this is very distracting

Mar 20, 07 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?
i am curious about this thread you all have been referring to... some heated debate about/between interior designers and architects?? would love to peruse it some day. anyone remember the topic or the date?
check post #3
Mar 20, 07 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

it's linked in my first post on this thread...

click on 'last go round'

there is also a search box at the bottom of the forum index for future surfing, but there are lots of other threads that discuss interior design.

shark - hope you realize this is nothing personal. I'm happy that somebody finds healthcare design fulfilling!

Mar 20, 07 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

And this is why we love Archinect...

Mar 20, 07 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
bakema

Lovely good ol' boy attitude squirrelly... community enforcement police? Ridiculous. You call that policing a contribution?

Mar 20, 07 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
sharkkitten

thank you tree....it's not too bad. besides it pays well.

i really am going back to work now!!!!! ;-)

Mar 20, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

oh yeah and you know I AM a good ol' boy bakema......psssh please!!

you read what you want into it, I am not going further with that.
It's not policing, but if that's what you want to call it, the way you wanna see it, so be it.

if you really want to read/listen to what I am suggesting, it is that merely any comments made on here are for discussion purposes, not policing or what have you. Now, if you think your "contributions" are better because you aren't (in your words) policing, then good of you mate!!

Mar 20, 07 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

After reading the above exchange, it's easy to see why architects are getting paid less and less.

sharkkitten, if there are any other female designers you'd like to spotlight, please let us know and we'll help you out. Well, some of us will anyway.

Mar 20, 07 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Alackrity

"hire some disavantaged kids to paint a mural"

why do people always throw this out when talking about poor neighborhoods? Murals are a sure sign that you've entered the ghetto.

Pedestrian, tacky and bourgeois.

Mar 20, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

The ghetto is where it's at - ok maybe not in SD, but up in LA, the best parts of town to be an architect have great murals- silverlake, downtown, echo park, venice, san pedro... so why doesn't beverly hills have any? anything would be better then their status quo 10' white walled anti-social statements surrounding every house. BH is bourgeois, the ghetto ain't!

Mar 20, 07 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
Alackrity

Too many people throw out murals as a band aid for a broken community as a way to try and help with a loss of identity and life.

They are suggested by people trying to help "fix" a problem that a mural will never fix.

While I appreciate the work of the WPA muralists and Diego particularly, even the ruined freeway art in L.A., the mural has become just another symbol of the culture of poverty ... in my own personal opinion.

I am also a photographer, so my observations may differ from yours. In my experiences in Paris, Pittsburgh, Manchester and even San Diego the mural symbolizes a communities unhappiness with itself and seldom "improves" the environment.

The light in L.A. is amazig though, so I'm sure that helps there.

Mar 20, 07 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

maybe you can take the photos for the original poster's wall o'women.

Ok, murals are just a band aid and temporary summer camp for a few kids, but it's better then letting them gangbang. the murals in my old hood tended to be respected by the local taggers and most of the non-gringo residents. Beyond murals, there are some really good programs in LA, like Homeboy Industries that does more then paint walls and is making a difference in those kids lives. So it's worth looking into what local art resources are available and try to be local. Local is good and will mean more to the people using the clinic then any wall of photos.

Mar 20, 07 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
PostDepot

But you need a famous person's touch to get some publicity treekiller. That's how it works with these working the system jobs. Get maya Lin and get AIA chapter award and get an article in trade journal or in local newspaper. Clever huh?

Mar 20, 07 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
suicidal tendencies-institutionalized

Mar 21, 07 3:53 am  · 
 · 
snooker

If Maya lin isn't up for being part of your wall project....then well I think it might be worth introducing you to another Woman Muralist.

http://www.wallofamerica.org/

Mar 21, 07 8:33 am  · 
 · 
Alackrity

I think the act of an architect moving into a depressed neighborhood and bringing with him the attitude and ability to see ways to change the environment would have a greater affect than any mural ever would.

Graffitti murals are wonderful deviations on the mural idea. But while I see the value in giving the grafitti kids a place to paint, ANY program would have a positive effect and that's why it works. Give them anything to do and it will help.

There are smart creative people who have found a way to harness hip hop and redirect it into a positive mode of expression in the community and thats totally cool. But these murals litter the environment like so much cheap well meaning jewelry and grow to surrounding walls and areas as the artists advance their skills in the artform.

I take issue with the fact that when people talk about trying to address a bad environment or help a community they still, after all these years, wheel out that tired old mural idea.

They look like crap and tattoo the neighborhood in ways that many residents hate. The act of creating them is positive, the effect they have on the environment as decaying symbols is negative.

I should mention that I love graffitti as an art form. I think it rocks but I also recognize its effect on the world we live in.

As far as the idea of honor successful women goes. Its a womens clinic, its supposed to honor and support the community of women.

Girl power, get it?

Mar 21, 07 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
Alackrity

nice video, but my skakeboard is far to collectable to ride anymore.

Mar 21, 07 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Alackrity

*skate

Mar 21, 07 12:12 pm  · 
 · 

i think some folks need a little more fibre in their diet

Mar 21, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
brightring

Maya Lin Studio
112 Prince Street
New York, NY 10012

Aug 19, 08 11:30 am  · 
 · 
Alackrity

i am pretty sure this project was completed this year.

Aug 19, 08 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
brightring

I wrote a book called "Great American Artists for Kids." Maya Lin is on of the featured artists, and I show a couple of photos of the Vietnam Memorial. I just sent her a copy of the book and hope she will enjoy using it with her daughters. You can see free pages from the book at:
http://www.brightring.com/greatamericanartists.html
I don't think I have Maya's page on my website, though.
MaryAnn

Aug 19, 08 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
julieannsabug

Hi, I'm a student in ceramics and we are doing a research project of an artist. I am researching about Maya Lin and her art works, but there isn't that much information abouher. I have some question for her, however I need her contact info. SO PLEASE HELP ME !!! 

QUESTION FOR MAYA LIN:

1)how is your life like as an artist?

2)Where did you learn your artistic skills from?

3)Who were your mentors that inspired you to be an artist?

4)What techniques and material do you use in you art work?

5) What is your most proud collection or exihibition in your art life?

PLS HELP ME TO CONTACT MAYA LIN 

PS. I know its a short notice but it's due by sunday night.....

Dec 16, 16 2:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: