Archinect
anchor

Residential Work

ih1542006

Currently, I am registered in one state. I am looking at a project in a neighboring state. Most states do allow unlicensed persons to do residential work. I've mentioned to the perspective client of the "rules" regarding work. But, I would like to get a better understanding of how this works. I'm awaiting the paperwork from NCARB to become certified. From what I'm hearing it's can be a long process. My intention is to get licensed in the states that border my own so I can continue working. I'm awaiting an answer from the clients state as to what the rules mean to me. Hopefully, they will respond quickly. I know there lots of people on this site who are probably well versed in these issues.

Feb 26, 07 2:05 pm
archiphreak

What kind of work are you trying to get? Commercial or Residential? If it's Residential work you don't need to worry about reciprocity. Simply submit the drawings to the proper permitting office. If this is commercial work you're going after, than there are two options. 1) partner with a licensed Architect in the state in which you're trying to get work, or 2) apply for reciprocity in that state based on the fact that you are currently licensed in a neighboring state. This can take quite a while (sometimes about the same amount of time it took to get your testing taken care of). Getting NCARB Certified makes the reciprocity much easier, so I'm told, but it's not required. Either way, you're looking at a substantial investment of time in order to go through the motions. The shortest answer is definitely to partner with another Architect already licensed and practicing in that state. Try contacting the local AIA and see if there are any local firms willing to let you use their stamp. I hope this helped.

Feb 26, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
Most likely

you don't have to stamp residential drawings anyway, so your licensure won't be an issue. But you need to check with the local governing code/permit authority: might be city, county, or state.

When I moved to Indiana reciprocity on my Pennsylvania license took about 6 weeks, I just had to mail in some paperwork and a check, as I recall. If you have to do NCARB first, it can take longer, but if you call them and keep on top of them it will most likely be quick - my personal experience with NCARB has been if you can get someone on the phone they are pretty good at customer service.

Also, it really varies state to state, as some states only review applicants for new registration on a regular schedule of every three months, or six months, or whatever.

If you can afford it, I don't think it can possibly hurt to be licensed in all the states around you, just opens up that many more opportunities!

Feb 26, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hmmmm, you're getting very different answers from le phreak and me....;-)

Feb 26, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
ih1542006

I am looking at doing a residential project.

I have done everything I need to do to qualify for NCARB certification. I called NCARB to get the forms It's already been a few weeks since I spoke to them and nothing has showed up yet.

Feb 26, 07 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
archiphreak

Liberty, my experience with NCARB is a little different. I send in my question and usually within 2-3 weeks I'll get an answer. It took me a full year to get my paperwork for IDP sent in, varified and posted (and they tell me i still need extra IDP credit after turning in over 800 units) I don't even want to think about what it would take for reciprocity. ;-) Though, I'm not licensed yet, so I can't speak too freely.
My advice, Studio43, is simply to call the local city planning commission in the area you're to be working and ask. Hopefully they'll be able to give you all the information you need. But like Liberty said, if it's residential you don't need to worry about a stamp anyway. And I would caution about getting too many licenses. I had a conversation with one of my partners about that and basically you end up paying through the teeth to hold a license in each state, when for most reciprocity is enough.

Feb 26, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

My experience is you don't need to talk to a planning and zoning office, unless you have to because of zoning regulations, where you are required to submitt something to them which ask for an architectural registration. It is the Building Department aka Building Offical who will stop you in your tracks when the contractor or owner go to pull a building permit. Most states have regulations regarding
when and where a stamp is required. It is most likely attached to a state statue and any building offical should have that information and it is free to the public. Sometimes it just takes asking the right questions. Keep in mind that the local guy usually works within the guide lines of the State statues, but they are also given some wiggle room which they all will exercise in on way or another. If your up front with them from the start up then you will find them most helpful,
if you try to sneak around and get caught they will toss sand in your undies.....and I don't blame them.

Feb 26, 07 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
RonJon

That part in the first paragraph where you mention "residential work", I guess I'm the only one who read that.

Post complete information; What state are you in? What state are you wanting to practice in?

You are "licensed" in some US state yet you are not NCARB "certified", what state allows that?

For future reference, most states let anyone with a pencil and one good eye draw a house plan. Just don’t call yourself an architect, particularly if you aren’t actually an architect.

However, if you are an architect then in most states you must perform your services to the highest standard of care as well as sign and seal your documents be they residential in nature or otherwise.

Also, get a contract before drawing a single line for your “client.”

Feb 26, 07 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
Ledoux's Eye

There always seems to be so much strange advice when these types of questions come up in this forum.

Some states do, in fact, require a license to do even a single family residence. You have not posted what state you are talking about, but the point is that you should simply contact the board for architect licensing in that state. They can tell you the rules. Talking to the planning/zoning people is not going to get you anywhere. This is not their jurisdiction.

Assuming the state you want to work in does NOT require a license for residential, you are probably good to go. Just do not call yourself an architect in that state.

If the state does require a license for residential, it is also possible that the state licensing board (not NCARB - this has nothing to do with NCARB) will grant a temporary license in order for you to legally pursue a project in that state while your application for reciprocity is processed. By-the-way, most, but not all, states require you to have an NCARB Certificate in order to get a license by reciprocity.

Reciprocity: Means getting a license in a state based on the fact that you are already licensed in another state or foreign jurisdiction (does not have to be a contiguous state). As stated above, an NCARB Certificate is required in most states in order to get the reciprocal license. Different states have different rules for reciprocity. In some states, you may be required to take a supplemental oral exam (California, for example), or a written exam (not the full ARE, but an exam tailored to the specifics of practice in that particular state).

And, yes - you might consider associating with an individual or firm licensed in the state in which you intend to do one or more projects. However, even this type of arrangement is governed by the individual state licensing boards. Some states have very specific requirements before this "association" can legally take place. Violation of these requirements will result in trouble for you AND for the otherwise legally licensed individual/firm.

Finally, with all of this being said, it is also true that even if you determine that the state licensing board has no problem with you doing residential work without a license, the local building department may very well decide that a licensed architect or engineer must stamp the plans. The building codes in most states leave it up to the discretion of the local building official as to whether to require a stamp on plans that would otherwise be exempt. A building department will typically decide to exercise this option if the plans submitted indicate details (particularly structural details) that are not standard. In other words, the more custom the design, the more likely a building official will decide that somebody (an architect or engineer) needs to take responsibility.

Feb 26, 07 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

None of the above applys is your a Star Architect of Brad Pitt!

Feb 26, 07 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
ih1542006

Currently, I'm licensed in Pennsylvania and the work is in New Jersey. I spoke to the NJ state board. They have first say. Since regardless of what the building department wanted the state board could come down on me.
Lots of states have BOA's that don't require some types residential work to be stamped or even prepared by a architect registered in that state

New Jersey might be an exception. An out of state architect needs to be licensed in Jersey to do residential. They do allow homeowners to do their own plans for some work, typically additions and alterations
They also allow family members who don't reside in the home to prepare drawings for the homeowner/family member.

Ledoux got it right on. Ncarb certification = reciprocity. One can't become certified until they hold a license and have completed IDP.
It should be the norm these days but maybe not

Feb 26, 07 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
ih1542006

Also as far as NCARB certification goes I just heard rumors it can take very long time. No matter how well you've crossed your t's and dotted your i's

Feb 26, 07 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

There are a few states that grant a limited license for just one project (New York does that.) It's slightly faster and less expensive than getting a full license.

There are some states that DO require an NCARB certificate as the ONLY way to get reciprocity. Some others have alternate ways to get reciprocity, though in some cases they require a lot more documentation and sometimes even work samples, reference letters and interviews

In response to RonJon: The NCARB certificate is a process that comes AFTER licensing in at least one state. So in fact EVERY state allows it. You have to submit proof of one state license to NCARB to even begin the application for certification. (This is not the same thing as having a complete NCARB council record - it's an additional process.)

It's true that many states don't require a license at all for some or all residential work (in some cases it depends on the size of the project and/or the construction type.) But I strongly agree with the above poster that you should be aware that it's almost always at the discreation of the local building official to require an architect's or engineer's stamp if he decides the project's complexity warrants it - and in some jurisdictions this happens on just about every little project, no matter how simple. Things got much simpler for me on residential work once I got licensed!

Another thing you should consider: a number of states have laws against architects soliciting work in their state without a license in that state - meaning that if you so much as discuss a project to be built in that state with a potential client before you get reciprocity there you are technically in violation of the law. So do check with the state's board directly for that state's laws.

Feb 26, 07 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

Depends on the local building dept. In my town, it would depend on the size of the job. A small residential remodel does not require a stamp, but if you tried to get a new house thru the building dept. a stamp would be required.

So, the easy answer is to go and ask the building dept.

Feb 26, 07 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati
http://www.ncarb.org/stateboards/MBRfaqpractice.asp

You might want to take a look at questions 37 thru 41 for regulations related to whether you can pursue work in a state where you're not licensed, and whether you can partner with a firm in that state.

Feb 26, 07 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
RonJon

Dear "formerlyunknown",

If I ask a question in this forum consider it to be rhetorical.

Sincerely,

RonJon

Feb 26, 07 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Studio 43:: So what does it take to be an Architect in New Jersey?

Mar 1, 07 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
ih1542006

Snooker
Since I am already licensed in PA. all I need to do is get certified (currently underway) with NCARB and apply for reciprocity.
Which right now, I figuring is going to take 6 to 8 weeks.

By the way, if one is not licensed in any state and is working in jurisdiction were the building department doesn't require a stamp from an architect , but the state may say your do. OK But, being licensed already I would avoid doing work under those rules since it could get you into hot water. Possibly preventing you getting a license from them in the future, as well as, make any contract you have with a client null and void.

Mar 2, 07 9:27 am  · 
 · 
snooker

So Jersey required NCARB Papers before you can get a license in New Jersey?

Mar 2, 07 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

NCARB certification typically takes 3 to 6 months or more. The reciprocity application can take few more weeks or months, depending on the state's usual procedures (some only process applications about 6 times per year, so there can be a wait of 2 months or more.)

Mar 2, 07 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
ih1542006

6 to 8 months to receive certification from NCARB seems rights after some investigating. Most states around me review reciprocity applications once a month at the scheduled board meetings. Pa doesn't though. You submit your app with certification and they issue your license, no monthly meeting

Mar 3, 07 8:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: