Archinect
anchor

amateur architect

farmer

i am neither a licensed, practising nor professional architect. Still, in my free time I like to sketch hypothetical projects. Can I call myself "amateur architect" without offending the AIA, or RIBA? What about if I call myself "architectural thinker"? Does this offend the bylaws of those bodies? Any help in this SAP wd be greatly appreciated!

Feb 24, 07 7:21 am

"spatial designer"

Feb 24, 07 7:23 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

architectural constructions

Feb 24, 07 7:24 am  · 
 · 

it's not the AIA or RIBA who will come after you but your state board of licensing. if you ever intend to become a license professional, having premature use of the word 'architect' won't make it easy.

on the other hand, if you don't intend to ever take things farther than 'architectural thinker', i don't think there are consequences. you might be asked to stop, but i'm not sure what they could do to you.

Feb 24, 07 7:36 am  · 
 · 
snooker

Why not just call yourself an Interior Designer? Seems like every Tom, Dick and Harry does it along With Susie, Sally and Sharon.

Feb 24, 07 7:45 am  · 
 · 
ih1542006

They'll take your pencils away from you is what will happen

Feb 24, 07 7:45 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

to call legally call yourself an interior designer will soon require a license as well.

Feb 24, 07 8:38 am  · 
 · 

during undergrad (2nd year) i was asked, by lawyer from canadian version of aia, to desist from calling myself an architectural illustrator (2 friends and i had made a company to do renderings with the new fangled computers we had taught ourselves to use; back then was special if you could use up front, never mind form-z)

...anyway was an interesting education in the psychology of architects who feel threatened by a 20 year old with a computer and some watercolor skills...

and we never even THOUGHT about designing a damn thing.

go figger.

Feb 24, 07 8:50 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

what blows my mind is that a person can sit for the bar something like two minutes after they graduate. do these people actually know that much about the law??? i sat in on a torts class once, it was taught in a socratic style and they discussed specific cases from some text book. granted i sat in on one class but as i understood it students didnt have to take anymore torts classes than this. does this class and the rest of the classes qualify them to be a lawyer? i doubt it. but, apparently they don't have to take five million training units in four hundred categories to be able to take 75 tests that may allow them to be a "professional".

Feb 24, 07 9:03 am  · 
 · 
farmer

thank you all for responding, esp Steven Ward. this has helped me a great deal.

Feb 24, 07 10:50 am  · 
 · 
the0utfit

such laws should be abolished

Feb 24, 07 10:59 am  · 
 · 
snooker

I had a woman client that sat at the helm of a company for most of her life. She started the company with her husband and they developed the aspirator used by most purfume companies, and branched out from there into other aspects of the cosmetic industry.
Her husband had taken ill at a young age, so she stepped in and took over the day to day operation until her son and son inlaw were old enough and smart enough to run the business.

She hired me when she was well into her 70's to upgrade her cabin on the lake. I used to have great times with her cause she was such a pistol. I recall her telling me she was, "An Industrialist", people who get things done. Anoter time she told me, while at the wedding of one of her grandchildren, she was no longer called the President of the Company, but the Founder of the Company. As you can imagine this was to most of the movers and shakers of the cosmetic world.

Feb 24, 07 11:38 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

My husband is an sculptor, and has worked hard to make a living at making sculpture. It does bring in income, but usually not profit.

He never calls himself an artist, preferring the term "enthusiastic hobbyist".

farmer, in my state, my partner got in trouble for referring to himself as an "architectural designer" on a contract letter. The "trouble" consisted of a letter from a lawyer saying he was "looking in to" misrepresentation. But nothing ever came of it.

Feb 24, 07 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Vado,

You know how to make tortes? When can I come over for dinner?

Feb 24, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I thought this post was going to be about architects who, although they are 18, look like they arent 18 yet

Feb 24, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
joshuacarrell

Vado,
And why is arch education governed by NAAB,
Licensing exam and IDP by NCARB,
Licensing Requirements by the local Architecture Board,
And continued education by the AIA.
Is there another profession anywhere with this much bureaucracy to wade through!
j

Feb 24, 07 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

This tread made me wonder , as realy I find that the best way to design a good house, would be from the inside out. Realy, if interiour architects could make structral demands who know, things already easily could become that much better, so why not and, maybe they will project better detailed houses, new styles and a new architecture , then let's hope it will cost only a third, so there are room for experimenting and there ; why shuldn't the client be allowed, within very specific arears , to add his or her own touch --- shuldn't a good designer be able to offer just this, if someone ask a specific building.

Feb 24, 07 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

vindpust....most buildings in the world are not designed by Architects. These Buildings are usually undertaken by someone other than an Architect so I would put a little more blame on the non-architects doing Buildings and not Architects for why a great portion of what is out there is crap. I have seen it time and time again, these people have taken significant Architectural Ideas and destroyed them by trying to reinvent them into a market driven product. I don't think I want interior designers designing boats because it might lead to a whole new boat design, and hopefully one which will not sink.

Feb 24, 07 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
RonJon

farmer...

Act as a listless buffoon then call yourself an artist.

Feb 26, 07 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

shut up dick.

Feb 26, 07 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

vindpust- "interiour architects" do not exist. Interior Architects don't, either, unless you are both a licensed architect and an interior designer. I've had it from several sources that programs claiming to teach "Interior Architecture" are really just interior design programs that want to distance themselves from interior decorating to make themselves more respectable.

Feb 26, 07 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
RonJon

How did you know my actual name was Dick?

(FYI: rhetorical)

Feb 26, 07 11:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: