Archinect
anchor

Denmark internship

Hi,

I'm about to obtain an internship in Denmark  and I need some information.

I would like to know about how much an intern (with 3-5 years of work experience) is paid in general and if an intern will work on certain areas depending on how they evaluate your profile (CAD drafting / renderings / 3d modeling / concept talks or you participate in all of the above). What can you tell me about the recruitment process for an intern?

Thanks

Jun 30, 12 8:10 am
archinet

depends on the office. Judging from your portfolio you definitely are above intern level. However I noticed that offices in Europe are keen to only hire interns unless you have 10+ years experience. Most offices here in Germany tend to separate those that can design/good at 3d modelling and rendering from those that can actually build. Looks like you know both so make sure you do not get put into only doing one thing. Also it seems that if you are put on only competitions offices want to keep you in the "intern" category forever. So be careful, being good at rendering is almost a curse. I would also keep looking for other real architecture opportunities even if you do accept the internship. 

I started a paid internship when I graduated over here and was basically doing competitions. I did however get to take responsibility for doing everything on the competition which was good. However I did not want to stay after the 6 months because I only got to do competitions and not much would change. After I left I had some interviews all for doing the same thing, competitions no construction documents. These interviews were for real jobs, not internships. But the pay was far lower then a architect that can build.

Maybe talk to your employer? If you do just be careful, I really screwed up an interview by disclosing the real reason why I left...its always better to be doing work you are not crazy about then nothing at all.

Nice portfolio, those are some mean envelope details!

Jun 30, 12 11:07 am  · 
 · 

Thanks archinet,

Thanks for replying and for your nice words. 

Your post it's very helpful. It is nice to share experience and advices. You are right about the fact that it depends on the office. That was what I was hoping to find out from someone with an internship experience in Denmark. I share your point of view about being careful to not be put only on one thing because it stops you from evolving and learning about all the phases of a project - from concept to visits to the construction site .

Yes, I will talk with my employer but i need to find out a medium salary for an intern first just to see if it will be advantageous for me from the financial point of view. 

Thanks!

Jul 1, 12 5:17 am  · 
 · 
archinet

Ok Nita

I think I am not sure- but I think I recall OMA paying interns between 500 euros to 1000 euros a month. Depends on your experience, I think there are junior interns and more senior interns over there. In general all the internships in the EU that I was offered (when studying) ranged btw 500 to 1000 a month. Switzerland and England is much higher. France, Italy, Spain is much lower. I am guessing in your case in Denmark they might offer you anywhere in between 500 to 1000 a month. I saw your works, try to ask for at least 1000 a month. But then again I am not sure about Denmark. Maybe they pay much higher like Switzerland.

Some place initially only offer 500 a month but then after the 3rd month you can ask for more.

Jul 2, 12 4:14 am  · 
 · 

Thank you Archinet,

I hope they pay much higher than Switzerland! :) Thank you for your response, now i know at least a minimum for payment and i really hope it depends on the work experience. 

Thanks!

Jul 2, 12 8:30 am  · 
 · 
jasonmou

In Denmark they rarely pay their interns because the danish student get paid by the government for for going to school. I've only head that the big offices (like BIG, Henning Larsen ect.) pays theirs international interns.

Jul 15, 12 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

This reminds me of a few Coffee with an Architect posts:
Dear Svehn
A
 brief guide for recently hired interns
L
ars can't sleep

Jul 15, 12 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: