Archinect
anchor

DESERT ARCHITECTURE

MADianito

Does anyone knows good examples of residential architecture in deserts?? books, links, names, houses.....

other names besides F.Lloyd Wright, A. Predock and W. Bruder??

Feb 15, 07 4:31 am
Medit
http://www.rickjoy.com/

Feb 15, 07 4:44 am  · 
 · 
http://www.iredalepedersenhook.com/menu.htm

reasonably young australian office, have done some desert stuff, esp
with Aboriginal communties.

Feb 15, 07 5:39 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

cool cool, yeah i wanted to see some stuff from aussies, cause i know they know how to do it right in the desert....

THANX!!, keep throwing more examples...
mmhh also maybe any "sustainable" projects in the desert....

Feb 15, 07 5:51 am  · 
 · 
Ominoliquido

ARCOSANTI | Paolo Soleri
www.arcosanti.org

Feb 15, 07 7:49 am  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

rick joy, paolo soleri, marwan al sayed, richard and bauer architects

Feb 15, 07 8:07 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Michael Reynolds, earthships and the Taos west mesa

http://www.earthship.org/

Feb 15, 07 8:56 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

wendel burnette

and marwan

http://www.masastudio.com/

Feb 15, 07 10:16 am  · 
 · 
postal

i like optima's building model, its not the best "new" architecture but i like the fact that hovey can just build these 20 mil homes out of pocket... and then sell 'em later...

the is the classic bread + butter clearing the way from dreamitecture...

hovey book

Feb 15, 07 10:53 am  · 
 · 

frey house- albert frey

Feb 15, 07 11:35 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

that rick joy photo fries my brain.
corten looks great but performs badly in hot environments- only use it if you want to risk burns from touching it and where the heat gain can't be transfered into the structure... Corten isn't recommended for roofs because of it's poor thermal emissivity and high heat gain- the same thing can be said of walls in the desert.

Feb 15, 07 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

yeah yeah im more interested in intelligent desert design rather than flashy photo-oriented houses, yeah from the links there had been some good ones some bad ones, i mean, basically when i said like good houses or desert projects to look at, i wasnt thinking in a house which depends on a huge A/C system, i dunno thats why aussies interest me, they do quite good desert oriented architecture sometimes without the use of A/C...Murcutt have a couple of interesting ideas about it too.... anyways, im glad u people got intersted in the topic, is being very fruitfull for me, so if anyone wants to keep collaborating or giving an opinion ur welcome...

yeah that Rick Joy image is dope!, i mean what can u expect if ur "Mr. Joy" hahahaha, also Predock has a image in the same way in his website, this time he, sitting in his motorcycle as last image of his "intro" SLIDE SHOW".... haha, wtf!?

P.S. also im not looking for Hassan Fathy, more like these days stuff (thou Fathy has great ideas in terms of basic steps to follow)

Feb 15, 07 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

treekilluh,

isn't the corten used as a simple rain screen? that pretty much negates the effect of the heat gain. though it would still be hot to the touch.

Feb 15, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

rain screens.... what kind of desert r we talking about...maybe u wanted to say 'shade screen' ??? A HEATED UP "shade screen" doesnt sound like an area of my house i would like to sea at and spend the afternoon chilling out and watching the sunset....

Feb 15, 07 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

MADianto

asside from Glenn, try some of his contemporaries like Rick Leplastrier or Peter Stutchbury or Lindsay Johnston.

Feb 15, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not sure what you are looking for but in terms of spaces that don't need ac in the desert you will most likely need materials with a large enough thermal mass to handle 6 hrs....rammed earth, insulated concrete, etc (strawbale works wonders too). And the windows too...i would avoid double insulated glass...it has a negative effect in the desert which is basically like hot boxing, instead something with a fair reflectance

Or design features - like the Oz perfected double roof with rain collection gutters (yes it rains in the desert). Also partially submerged interiors.

Feb 15, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
everyline

you should look into the technology behind the skytherm house, atascadero, ca designed by harold hay in the 70's

Feb 15, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

there are different kinds of deserts...they aint all like the sahara...

Feb 15, 07 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

well.. that Joy pic came out just after a Goggle search... :)
and yes, the Tubac House (if I'm not mistaken) in that pic is not his most interesting work (definitely much more 'conventional' than most of his other projects)
but now that architechnophilia has mentioned rammed earth I think Joy has become famous not for the corten steel but for the huge thick compacted earth walls of most of his buildings, following the vernacular architecture tradition of that desert he works in... I don't think his Convent Avenue Studios, the Godat Design Studios. the Catalina House or the 400 Rubio Avenue Studio need A/C at all
.. If I remember correctly there was a preface by Juhani Pallasmaa (The Eyes of the Skin) in the Desert Works book about Joy's approach to "non-fundamentalist sustainability" in the context of the Arizona desert which was pretty interesting..

there was also a comparation with some Barragán works, which even if not exactly in the desert, could be of interest as well (though I'm sure Madianito knows Barragan's career better than most other archinecters...)

and I guess an exploration through the multiple projects awarded or finalists for the various Aga Khan Award editions will offer some interesting curiosities built in the Middle East's most arid areas (especially regarding tents and other tensile, inflatable and portable structures)... people in ArchNet may know of other examples in the hot Muslim deserts too

Feb 15, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

oops... sorry, ArchNet

Feb 15, 07 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

Charles Correra's early work would also be an excellent precedent, mad where are you?

Feb 16, 07 12:17 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

hahaha MAD boy is everywhere, right now close to the alps, but im planning soon to work on the desertic region of the BAJA desert, n dont really knew too much about xtreme weather like that, so its being good all the help u guys r bringing so far...is a good start...

i know Correa work, and yeah interesting indeed, have a friend who worked for him a bit....

Feb 16, 07 10:42 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

I hear that youre building your little house deep in the desert
Youre living for nothing now, I hope youre keeping some kind of record.
sincerely, vado retro

Feb 17, 07 8:41 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

this is the desert too...

Feb 17, 07 8:50 am  · 
 · 
Katze

I like this desert

oh, wait a minute, that's dessert, not desert. Sorry.

Feb 18, 07 3:33 am  · 
 · 
Medit

a fancy graphics tent in Mongolia, .. also a desert

critical regionalism: yurts, Genghis Kahn style

Feb 18, 07 7:10 am  · 
 · 
MADianito
Medit

, funny they have a comparison with Barragan... cause, yeah work of barragan is not in a weather like a desert, mmhh also the architecture of Barragan is focused on the perception of light as a generator of space... sorry im kind of thinking at the same time im writing... so im really wondering how barragan's buildings would respond in a desert-like weather/light...maybe too bright, still most of architecture of Barragan is located in a templated weather area, something closer to Mediterranean weather (Guadalajara, Mexico and Mexico City), still is funny to know that Barragan got his main influences about the use of space, light and water from a trip to North Africa and Middle East... which for me sounds like he actually learned from vernacular architecture in warmer places than the ones he built at....

i dunno... the only link i see between Joy and Barragan is on a "visual level" i mean, like plastic way, the way the walls look like, thats all....

i dunno, lets see how all this desert thing develops... i just dont wanna do fake regionalisms...

VADO... not building it yet, but i will keep record of it and show it when the ocassion arrives, no worries...

Feb 25, 07 8:55 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

make sure you wear your famous blue raincoat.

Feb 25, 07 8:59 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

what?? which blue raincoat???, i dont think i have any raincoat...but for sure i would have a "master of the universe" image like Joy or Predock...seems the desert makes u do plenty of "full of myself" stuff ;)

Feb 25, 07 9:19 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

leonard cohen's

Feb 25, 07 11:04 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

oh

Feb 25, 07 11:10 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

that isn't actually cor-ten steel on the outside of the house next to joy. it is hot-rolled 10 gauge steel. most of the steel used in the desert isn't cor-ten; as it never receives a significant amount of humidity it can often just be virgin sheets. we do the same thing in montana (a moderately dry climate depending on where you are) all the time. i think most people equate the longevity of steel with what happens to their cars in winter. but buildings aren't constantly being inundated with salt and they don't rust out that quickly.

as far as the whole rammed earth thing is concerned, it is a "green" material in that it is often taken directly from the building site, and has attributes of thermal mass which work in the high desert regions. phoenix really isn't included in this category, although tuscan is right on the fringes. i will admit that joy uses rammed earth more for its phenomenological attributes more than for these properties. so especially does eddie jones. but the thickness of rammed earth walls aids in the regulation of temperature and humidity. it can almost be like building underground in some instances; the interior temperatures are definitely more "naturally" regulated. historically it is more attributable to asia than to arizona.

as for predock, i don't think predock is really a "desert" architect at all, save for his formal language which is often inspired by mountain landscapes and ruins.

what of charles correa? i'm mostly familiar with his plan for new bombay and his multi-family housing. if we are talking about correa, should we add rahul mehrotra to this discussion? has he done any desert works?

if you are looking for some good "desert" architecture, i would still look more to marwan al-sayed than any of the others.

Feb 26, 07 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

There was a book edited by Kenneth N. Clark and Patricia Paylore, called "Desert Housing", 1980. It was sponsored by The University of Arizona Arid Lands Natural Resources Committee, Published by University of Arizona Press. If you read it well you will understand why it was dedicated to: "All Those who live in the desert and to those few who understand it."

Feb 26, 07 5:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: