Archinect
anchor

t.i. v. ground up

holz.box

percentage-wise, how many of your office's projects are ground-up v. t.i.?

also, if your area of expertise/interest is in envelopes ("intelligent" facades etc.) and passive systems, how do you maintain said interest/expertise when all your office seems to be working on is t.i.'s?

Feb 13, 07 10:17 pm
mdler

we have many projects using stucco

Feb 13, 07 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

even stucco would be a welcome improvement.

i worked on several projects in germany utilizing stucco over eps, which was pretty efficient and typical.
additionally, it added 6-8 inches to the wall thickness, allowing for really deep windows. it was a nice touch.

Feb 13, 07 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
guppy

We do about 1/2 Shell and Core and 1/2 T.I, (often on the same building).

"how do you maintain said interest/expertise when all your office seems to be working on is t.i.'s?".....

You change jobs.

Feb 14, 07 10:48 am  · 
 · 

i don't know what t.i.'s are. is it called something else?

Feb 14, 07 10:49 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

tenant improvement (a la gap rollouts, etc)

Feb 14, 07 11:44 am  · 
 · 
guppy

Tenant improvements. Let's say you have a multi-tenant office building - one firm, hired by a developer maybe, might do the envelope and vertical circulation. Then individual tenants hire their own architects to develop the interior.

Feb 14, 07 11:46 am  · 
 · 
postal

HA!, you need to be able to do a quick life cycle analysis to show what you gain from an intelligent facade... which is pretty impossible for ti's...

actually we have a unique job right now, it's historically significant i guess, where they're thinking of renovating the building to include an intelligent facade...(exist 60's modernist all-glass machine bldg)... it's interesting and the morons who are working on it don't have any idea how to do it... (we don't typically do this sort of thing)... but it looks like the number for the renovation and for a new building came back almost dead even... so it's up to them to yay or nay...

i'm guessing...nay

Feb 14, 07 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

yeah, so when confronting vp about my dis-interest in interiors/t.i.'s was told if i was put on an actual architectural project, i'd "have to deal with zoning, IBC, all that boring stuff. Interiors are so much easier and loose"

so i was a little dumbfounded, perplexed, and perturbed. you're right, as an architect, i have absolutely no desire to get more experience with massing, zoning, etc.
my career would be so much better if i stuck with interiors. in fact, i'd prefer to do interiors projects the rest of my life. that way, instead of funneling all my money into books and my roth... I can get designer clothes and bags like yourself! riiiiight.

Feb 17, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: