Archinect
anchor

Artificial islands from all around the world

einstain

i was thinking that artificial islands are growing in Dubai..
but as i understand in Bahrein also and Qatar...
and very intersting shapes..
again via same site...
and there are another links which related islands in that page also..

http://www.review4-u.com/artificial_islands.htm

Feb 13, 07 4:51 am
Medit

"interesting shapes"?

Feb 13, 07 5:23 am  · 
 · 
einstain

yes interesting shapes..!
not square or something like it...
like palms,view of the world and so on...
of course interesting..

Feb 13, 07 6:25 am  · 
 · 

einstain. thats a cool name. you taste in islands though i do not share.

Feb 13, 07 6:27 am  · 
 · 
brown666

this shit is built all over the middle east, i guess one of the main reasons is the "free landscaping" otherwise very expensive in this climate... the islands in dubai have bige erosion problems allready just after completion, so they'll have to ship sand and stones over continously, will cost a shit load of money to maintan in shape...

Feb 13, 07 7:25 am  · 
 · 
einstain

can you show recently great architectural-engineering project in these scales in the world brown 666 ???

could you imagine any time like those projects in your life or you just try to write someting(nothing) ??

Feb 13, 07 8:30 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I know this image isn't what you are looking for, but it's beautiful:

Feb 13, 07 8:59 am  · 
 · 
einstain

as you see there is no any building on them....
they just look like photoshoped images...
trees on the starange islands...
yes looks of course interesting..
in any case i can't compare them with which i was talking..

Feb 13, 07 9:08 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Please, know your history.

Google "Christo surrounded islands" and you will see that those are real (the image above may be a rendering, but the project was in fact built).

And I think if you are interested in the engineering aspects of building an artificial island there is something to be learned from Christo's work.

Feb 13, 07 9:22 am  · 
 · 

when i studied the overseas students (often chinese) picked 'english' names to use while in australia. one such boy picked Einstein to use as his first name.

Feb 13, 07 9:32 am  · 
 · 
einstain

hey playstation2an (p2an) !
i think you are the 'boy'..

Feb 13, 07 10:12 am  · 
 · 

it was just an anecdote that came to mind.
relax.

Feb 13, 07 10:24 am  · 
 · 

"A 100 artificial island archipelago desaturates the Balears and clears the peninsula's coast from tourism. The total extra coastline length equals 7000 km. The 19 main islands, named 1-A to 1-S (Seven letters are left for further extension), are equipped with airports and connected to..."
--Costa Iberica: Upbeat to the Liesure City (2000), p. 202.

Otherwise,
I like how natural erosion erodes the blurring of the virtual and the real.

Remember how the moral of every episode was 'be careful what you ask for'?

Feb 13, 07 11:40 am  · 
 · 
Jr.

You'd think since that website stole the picture of the Spiral Jetty directly from robertsmithson.com, they'd be able to tell that it wasn't in Mexico...

Feb 13, 07 11:48 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra
i
Feb 13, 07 11:54 am  · 
 · 

How artificial island can you get?
www.quondam.com/01/0001.htm

Is more like artificial island that goes all over the world.

Feb 13, 07 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
Chch

I believe OMA/AMO made a very detailed investigation into the phemomena for the Venice Biennale. It featured a long photomashed fictional coastline of them all juxtaposed.

Feb 13, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i like how the firm i work for tries to label itself green + sustainable (what does that even mean?) yet they are in the process of building and island as well.
nice, way to contradict yourself.

Feb 13, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 

http://www.madebymistake.nl/6000/noordzee.html
Feb 13, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Medit
the islands in dubai have bige erosion problems allready just after completion, so they'll have to ship sand and stones over continously, will cost a shit load of money to maintan in shape...

if that's true it makes the "shapes" even less "interesting" then...

Feb 13, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

on the look out for artifical islands

Feb 13, 07 2:40 pm  · 
 · 

My Heroes*

Feb 13, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
einstain

most of comments nonsense...
you may send another artificial island photos,infos,links etc. and this topic could be informationand helpful for somebody..
not stupid links or photos..

Feb 14, 07 2:18 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

einstain , There's a cup under my office desk with some 8 day old coffee in it and its got an interesting shape growing in it. I can send u a photo if u want.. ? ?

Feb 14, 07 2:29 am  · 
 · 
einstain

suupppper,send!

Feb 14, 07 2:42 am  · 
 · 
Medit
Feb 14, 07 4:20 am  · 
 · 
Medit

· Off. o. Acropolitan Arch. [Rita]

what's this thing about the Balears all about? never heard about it.. is that one of your personal imaginary-museum quondam ramblings or was that a real project?

Feb 14, 07 4:23 am  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

LB, what an interesting connection ... i never thought of christo's islands in relation all these dredged up in dubai. medit, i think the shapes will become interesting through erosion. castles made of sand ...

Feb 14, 07 6:45 am  · 
 · 
brown666

the erosion thing is absolutely true, saw it with my own eyes, besides that a project like palm jumeira in dubai needs a huge water desalination plant on it's own, again wasting huge amounts of energy... if we build artificial islands, and i am not "a priori" against it, it could resolve quiet some problems coming up to us, then we should at least have the guts and the imagination to do something different than las vegas or beverly hills on an island... if we do this, it should be of minimum impact, provide thoughtfull and adapted urbanity... and be, even if i don't like this word, sustainable... respectfull to it s environment and selfproviding as far as possible in energy...

Feb 14, 07 8:20 am  · 
 · 

Medit [Dick], the project was a study done by Aphaca U. Don't blame me for your stupidity.

Feb 14, 07 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Wow. You could cut the tension on this thread with a knife. Also, to keep on topic, my uncle has an artificial island made of human hair on top of his head.

Feb 14, 07 12:47 pm  · 
 · 

Russian proverb:
So the question, so the answer.

besides, note the reference: Costa Iberica: Upbeat to the Leisure City (2000), p. 202.
http://www.amazon.com/MVRDV-Costa-Iberica-Upbeat-Leisure/dp/8495273195

Feb 14, 07 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

back to our regular scheduled program - enough of this wounded pride.

my fave engineered 'island' is kansai airport:

though hk airport comes in a close second:

closer home is deer island in boston harbor

and finally in los angeles, terminal island

for more, check out center for land use interpretation - land use database...

Feb 14, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

"Wounded prime" wasn't the issue; ignorance was.

Feb 14, 07 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Is "Wounded Prime" an XBOX 360 game?

Feb 14, 07 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I heard Kansai is sinking, to the point that they had to put the main terminal on hydraulics (sp).

Feb 14, 07 2:46 pm  · 
 · 

"She be syncin'"

Feb 14, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 

So much for obtuse triangles. Hey, that could made a great shape for an artificial island.

Feb 14, 07 3:02 pm  · 
 · 

ijburg, just east of amsterdam

planned by Claus en Kaan, Frits van Dongen of Architekten Cie. and Ton Schaap of Schaap & Stigter

Feb 14, 07 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
job job

can't believe no one has brought this one up

I think the islands in UAE are interesting, and dredging is the new black; get the hell over it.

Feb 14, 07 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
job job

and when in australia, my name is remy as I resist the 'english' tradition wtfh

Feb 14, 07 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
upside

none of you got flowers on valentines day did you?

Feb 14, 07 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Tenoch2A.jpg

Tenochtitlan :)

Feb 14, 07 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
einstain

Feb 16, 07 5:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: