Archinect
anchor

Employment Question

magic_pie

Hi,

I was looking through previous posts about cover letters and found them pretty helpful. However, one question still lurks:

I am researching the firms fairly well and attempting to personalize cover letters as far as possible. There are a few firms (larger corporate ones) who don't mention the specific employer/hiring person- even after calling them up a few times. Also, their websites are not very informative. In this case, how personal can the cover letter get? Do I just address it to one of the partners or will 'The Hiring committee' suffice?

Thanks!

Feb 12, 07 4:01 pm
Chili Davis

In that case I typically go with Dear Hiring Manager...

Feb 12, 07 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
BlueSteel

my experience has been that if they don't overtly furnish the name of the person to give your resume to, then it matters less who's name is on the letter... I would keep it general, "dear, hiring manager".

If you call them asking and they still won't tell you who handels incomming resumes they are probably doing this on purpose and it all gets filtered through several people. Keep in mind usualy more than 1 person looks at your stuff.

Personalization is less important than alot of other things... Even if it is one person reading the resumes, they are going to know if they know you. Using their name in the letter somwhere is a nice thought but i wouldn't sweat it.

Feb 12, 07 4:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: