Archinect
anchor

Open Letter to the Interns at my Office...

Blue202

Dear Interns,

Please learn Ortho and OSnap. It's really quite simple. See those little buttons labelled "Ortho" and "OSnap" on your AutoCAD interface? Please make sure they are pushed on. Oh, and if you're one of those "keyboard people," we've got you covered. Just push F3 and F8 for OSnap and Ortho, respectively.

I know they don't teach you this kind of stuff in school, but every now and then we like to draw straight lines out here in the "real world." Yes, I do realize that creating straight lines that actually connect to other straight lines might be holding you down, and keeping you from realizing your masterpiece at the ripe old age of 22. But for some crazy reason, our client would appreciate his pantry overhead cabinets to be orthagonal. Deal with it.

Thank you for your timely attention to this matter.

Feb 12, 07 9:51 am
Medusa

It's even better when the principal draws like that.

Feb 12, 07 10:07 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Ahh, yes, the special interns. I worked in an office where osnap was outlawed, only snap. I still used osnap secretly.

Feb 12, 07 10:09 am  · 
 · 
aspect

i also hate it everytime someone dun use snap buttom, and end up being notified by contractors through RFI....

Feb 12, 07 10:11 am  · 
 · 
ferd

i'm osessed with PLINES.

i dream about them.

Feb 12, 07 10:30 am  · 
 · 
postal

Dear Intern Next To Me,

Please do not explode hatches. Please do not explode hatches that denote masonry walls in our 800k sqft plan. Please do not explode the sand hatch that denotes precast wall panels on our elevations. Please do not explode hatches ever. Please rehatch the area effected by changes in the future so as to not make life miserable for everyone. Better yet, please draw a polyline border and associate your hatch to that.

Thank you,
Postal

(we refer to this intern as "The Exploding Hatch Girl")

...but POLAR is where it's at! Why would I ever need to hit those F keys when I can burn through drawings w/ my polar, osnap, and otrack on all the time!

Feb 12, 07 10:33 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

seriously, i've encountered the "principal who can't draw but drops phrases like osnap" to sound legit before. rarely the opposite, but i work for smaller offices

Feb 12, 07 10:33 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

..and please stop drawing everything in layer 0 and then just changing object color to suit.

oh and start using spell-check please. It is "meeting" not "meating."

Feb 12, 07 10:38 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Oh, snap!

Feb 12, 07 10:39 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

lol Chili.....

and for those using the latest version of Autocad, FOR SPELLING: it's as simple as typing in the word SPELL on the command line and selecting your text....now cmon! how easy is that!

(for those who are illiterate and can't spell to save their lives).

and if there is an intern that does not understand Autocad in your office....I say just SHIP THEM BACK. They should have been driven enough to learn simple commands and tasks such as that program.

Feb 12, 07 10:44 am  · 
 · 

These interns should also be directed to either the fillet (f) or the chamfer (cha) command, with radius/distance set to 0. Clean, perfect corners are the result.

Feb 12, 07 10:52 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

May I offer you trim and extend.

Feb 12, 07 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Blue202

we're getting into some complex concepts here. don't wanna throw too much at them all at once.

Feb 12, 07 11:03 am  · 
 · 
snooker

How the hell do I get my pencil to do all those fancy tricks?

Feb 12, 07 11:52 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i second the POLAR
ortho sucks

polar osnap and otrack are where its at fo sho

Feb 12, 07 11:56 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

save the exploding hatch intern girl save the world.

Feb 12, 07 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

there is a person in our office who refuses to use copy or mirror. instead of drawing one window and copping it along the facade of a multi-family building he drew each window separately. of course in doing this each window was a little different then the next, usually by 13/63". so it threw off all of the elevations. I would try to tell them about 0snap, but that concept would be way over there heads.

Feb 12, 07 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

just out of curiosity, where are you guys getting these interns?

Feb 12, 07 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

UCLA???? lol

Feb 12, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
postal

The Dixie Chicks are ashamed that Exploding Hatch Girl went to school in their home state. (All right, I said too much, no more bashing my neighbor)

Feb 12, 07 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
archiphreak

we have a partner who once actually held a scale up to the monitor and argued with an intern about the width of a particular architectural element. but i think the worst is when you try to fillet two lines only to realize that, because of "snap rotate" those two lines are actually 4,372'-3" apart on the z axis. that drives me INSANE!

Feb 12, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

May I also mention that under no circumstances is anyone to explode a dimension. Seriously, overriding the text on a dimension is bad enough, but exploding it?

I ALWAYS follow osnap with "Oh Snap!" ...nice Chili. But do you also bust out the "B-hatch!"?

Feb 12, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

whose idea was it to make "battman" a command?
silly programmers

Feb 12, 07 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

when i type in the shortcut for boundary command i think..."Body Odor!..."

Feb 12, 07 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

hahaha I Love that one THEaquino....b-hatch.....oh man that made my afternoon mate!

Cheers

Feb 12, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
upside

"we have a partner who once actually held a scale up to the monitor and argued with an intern about the width of a particular architectural element."

i caught i guy doing this yesterday

Feb 12, 07 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

We had the Pizza command on our computers in an office where I worked. It would bring up a spread sheet , indicating the number of
people and how many pizzas it would take to satisfy them along with soda. Then it would then give you financial break out of cost per person.

He also had another program when things screwed up, which would pop up and say, "untangle your fingers and try again."

Feb 12, 07 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
binary

try being a model builder and getting dwg from firms and having site lines on the electrical layer/etc...... i request all layers to be purged and xref to be blocks/etc..... i swear

better yet.....

when dealing with layers that are on different Z coor and then trying to snap lines....wtf

or better yet changing fukn line colors when they are on the same layer and then trying to rescale each line type on top of that....wtf....

i really feel bad for those in the firms with all those damn layers

all i need is
wood
glass
steel
aluminum
centerlines/bolts
floor

haha

Feb 12, 07 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
postal

try... flatten

doesn't work all the time, and you may already know that one, but I thought i'd mention it just in case

Feb 12, 07 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I want to know why Autodesk cant get keyboard shortcuts....????????
It is like everything is mindlessly ass backward.

Feb 12, 07 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
postal

because people would be able to work faster which equals more efficiency, which equals less employees needed to complete a given job, which means less licenses sold.

but seriously, the shortcuts in REVIT bug me... I WILL NOT PRESS "MO" FOR MOVE or "CO" FOR COPY!!!! and i was told not to edit my masterfile for those shortcuts! ef that!

just aliasedit all that sheesh if you're still in acad... if you have the express tools

actually "ae" is the first shortcut i program in when sitting down on somebody elses comp.

Feb 12, 07 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

There are actually folks out there that create everything in layer 0? Oh my goodness. My condolences to those that have to suffer through this atrocity.

Feb 12, 07 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

my girlfriend in college's nickname was 'exploding hatch girl'...

Feb 12, 07 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hatch or snatch?

Feb 13, 07 12:20 am  · 
 · 
mdler

you get the point...

Feb 13, 07 12:27 am  · 
 · 

I am old school

I had to start by drawing on mylar...scratching out my mistakes with an x-acto blade (no handle) and then redrawing it and then cursing when it bled into the scratches. Slowly slowly learning.

Feb 13, 07 12:38 am  · 
 · 

When i was allowed on the computer i was only allowed to draw mudane things like the schedules...but on a seperate file (this was 2.6 & tablet days no multiple windows because this was DOS).

· 

You are taking it easy on the intern...sh*t I take it easy on mine too

· 
Janosh

Learning how to use snaps is great, but goddammit, NEAREST is a snap whose proper use is too nuanced to be used by less than a black belt.

Feb 13, 07 1:10 am  · 
 · 
binary

shift......man........shift

Feb 13, 07 1:41 am  · 
 · 
Blue202

"Midpoint Between 2 Points" is my new best friend.

Feb 13, 07 8:45 am  · 
 · 

please stop saving jpeg's with Compression 12.

Feb 13, 07 9:39 am  · 
 · 

above is PS, but hey thats where i spend most of my day.

Feb 13, 07 9:40 am  · 
 · 
archiphreak

p2an, don't feel bad. i have the opposite problem. for a presentation to the mayor a buddy of mine rendered an animation (to be displayed on a projection screen) at a resolution of around 200x120. i almost didn't play the thing, but we had nothing else to show besides pres boards.

Feb 13, 07 11:34 am  · 
 · 

fav autocad trick: hit enter twice after typing 'tr' for trim and it turns everything into a cutting element, you can trim the whole world.

the next level: hold down shift when you're in universal trim mode, and now you're extending, or you can revers it, hold shift while in the extend command, and trim away.

You guys can thank me later.

Feb 13, 07 11:57 am  · 
 · 
"Learning how to use snaps is great, but goddammit, NEAREST is a snap whose proper use is too nuanced to be used by less than a black belt."

hmm, maybe THAT's why I'm the only one in the office that keeps all the snaps turned on! I don't understand how all these people can work without them. But then I look at their drawings, and I understand...

Feb 13, 07 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
binary

extension work wonders

Feb 13, 07 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

my latest find - ctrl-enter to exit the MTEXT editing box to keep edits...i hate using a mouse for menu input.

Feb 13, 07 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
jjh
click

something that has puzzle me for a couple of weeks - i am one of those bastards who run xp on a mac and how can the right click button still work when i use a mac mouse with only one button. somehow i have a phantom right mouse button - i am starting to think that AutoCAD is reading my mind.

Feb 13, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

i like the "oops" command.

think they should come up w/ an "oh f*@k" command...sort of like restore but more powerful, it could create a copy of the drawing in the drawing of the previous version for those idiot days we forget to save a copy when making major revisions.

Feb 13, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

all those programs need a sketch tissue command...but that only covers a portion of the drawing. And don't tell me about layers - its not the same thing.

Feb 13, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: