Archinect
anchor

Office Archiving Systems

mightylittle™

Okay...I tried searching through past threads and couldn't find what I was looking for.

What do you use as an office archive system? I'm talking hard-copy, D & E size drawing storage for long term...

We have flat files for the more current work that needs to be referenced more often, but the stuff that's completely over with but not yet ready for the trash heap because of the statute of liability mularkey.

What we've got currently is a few cardboard tube-archiving boxes that are already full. They work, but they're also not that efficient in that they can't really store too much for the floorspace they take up. I have mountains of shop-drawings to hold on to in addition to all of our design drawings as well.

Literally. I'm being buried alive in shops right now.

Any general drawing-related storage suggestions welcomed.

I'm curious to hear how others handle this...

Feb 7, 07 6:17 pm
quizzical

Check into an "off site" records storage company -- most cities have one or more firms that, for fairly nominal cost, will come to our office, pick up your boxed up stuff, take it back to their facility and store it for you there.
When you need it, you call them up, tell them the box number(s) and they bring it back to you (again, for a fairly nominal fee) ... but, you have to take the time to make and maintain an accurate inventory of what's in each box -- and you have to establish and implement a "purge" policy that eliminates old stuff when it's no longer needed -- talk to your firm's lawyer about how long you need to keep stuff -- if you don't have an active purge routine, you'll end up paying way too much to keep tons of old stuff you no longer really need.

Good luck !

Feb 7, 07 7:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: