Archinect
anchor

OMA moving to Brussels

in the great archinect tradition of talking endlessly about Koolhaas/OMA.

Koolhaas mentioned during an interview on a Belguim radio programme yesterday that he is considering moving OMA's main office from Rotterdam to Brussels...

Feb 7, 07 1:54 pm
rayray

better beer for sure - but I think there was a thread for that discussion.

Feb 7, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
RNNR

when Rem spoke at MIT a few months back, he mentioned his disdain for the recent dutch conservatism and of course buddying up to the EU HQ.

he *really* wants that AMO flag to be used...

Feb 7, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
koen froyen

i'm from belgium and i welcome him!

Feb 7, 07 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

yeah! i can move back to mons!

Feb 7, 07 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
Chch

excellent. I just got a job in brussels. might be handy.

but about that AMO flag... I had a very interesting point made to me by a non-architect. A flag should be easy to draw - for a child was the example she gave, but in general was her point. I couldn't agree more. The AMO flag was distinctive but in no way was it easy to remember beyong the barcode concept. I mean, remembering the order of so many colours plus more if new member states join - it was an ill concieved flag idea from the start.

Feb 7, 07 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
Misen

always felt bad for the kid that had to draw the Saudi Arabian flag (without knowing arabic)... as opposed to the kid who got to draw the Japanese flag.

Feb 7, 07 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

they look like little green brains

Feb 7, 07 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

delicious green brains ... especially when sauteed with panchetta on top.

Feb 8, 07 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
siggers

Hmmm, I would doubt it - I think OMA loves the ultra-post modernism of Rotterdam far too much - it's a veritable playground of wacky designs, surreal urban spaces, and quite fascinating potential places. Brussels is also something of a mess, but perhaps a little less... "Manhattan".

Still though, Brussels could do with some new buildings, here there and everywhere - except no more eurocrat office buildings please...

Dec 5, 07 7:12 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

Do arch firms in Europe have any problem finding skilled staff?

i only ask because i am a EU citizen who has never worked there and an architect.

Dec 5, 07 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Frankly, i think OMA/AMO should be based out of a boeing 747 that orbits the world every day.

Dec 5, 07 11:58 pm  · 
 · 

Antisthenes - no.

Dec 6, 07 3:07 am  · 
 · 
grid

Apurimac >> what a novel concept. that would make a great competition proposal... if there is ever a competition for an office building or something along those lines. i like.

Dec 6, 07 3:13 am  · 
 · 
6nuew
Dec 6, 07 3:22 am  · 
 · 

maybe they're trying to distance themselves from the recent goofiness coming out of the oma-offspring offices? seriously.

Dec 6, 07 7:06 am  · 
 · 
French

planes are not enough environementally efficient yet for them to make the move though

Dec 6, 07 10:23 am  · 
 · 
aml

maybe they could work more along the lines of howl's moving castle

Dec 7, 07 12:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: