anchor

I'd never spend money there...

richardtaylor

I really prefer the menthal flavored freeze pop

Aug 10, 04 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Where are New Balance's made???

How many people boycott McDonalds, but eat at Chipotle on a regular basis (I know I do)

Aug 10, 04 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

eggmcmuffin and hashbrowns. breakfast of champions.

Aug 10, 04 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
A

mdler - New Balance makes most of their shoes in SE Asia somewhere but they still have one line that is made in USA. I have those running shoes and they are absolutely the best in the world. Oh, and boycotting McDonalds yet eating Chipotle isn't doing a bit of good as McDonalds is the parent company of Chipotle.

Aug 10, 04 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
redchairs

richardtaylor - LoVE that!

abracadabra---the Crystal Cathedral MAY be hokey and all, BUT it DOES have a Neutra, Philip Johnson (yawn) and Richard Meier building on site, so at least the Rev. Robert Schuller IS trying to do something interesting....AND in Garden Grove of all places..............so, abracadabra............nowwwwwwwwwww........disappear!

Aug 11, 04 3:09 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

not so fast stool,
family camp is in northern san luis obispo county. besides, that post was not about the qualitative preference about crystal cathedral buildings. also, only ABRACADABRA decides when to disappear. got IT?

i think crystal cathedral is a beautiful assembly building, so as neutra's tower. i have not been there since 15 years, so i have not seen what meier did.
now, when you put a flight attendant slapping shmuck in it, they as religious buildings start to loose their luster. and the faith has to be strengthten in family camps. one unit at a time..

Aug 11, 04 7:07 am  · 
 · 
uneDITed

people complaining about McDonald's, KFC and capitalism for the nth degree in the same spawned manner and redundant bland standardized 'liberal leftist' rhetoric(stress the bland) <= I just find that bo ring. Thats all. No need for too much personal involvement bambiman.

"you're free to ignore it and save your breath "
cross reference this with my
"Oh right "duh! you don't have to read this""
and I wonder whether there is a false teeth group meeting I should be at now.

Aug 11, 04 8:22 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra
e909
It was intsurmental in introducing the unwashed masses to good coffee

drug promoters. what (colombian) patriots. :-)

Aug 22, 04 2:39 am  · 
 · 
e909
I bought a cheap tank tap from H&M and was very please. After I brought it home I read the label and it said 'Made in Cambodia'. I don't know about you, but I was thinking of having a holiday there.

may jello biafra forever be your guide

Aug 22, 04 2:42 am  · 
 · 

mcDonalds! Exxon! Just follow that chain of thought and I won't likely shop there

Oct 20, 07 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

imkple,
your story is very touching. i am sorry to hear your family is not eating well. did you try to collect money before? obviously not! you should ask for a lot more because asking 1 dollar makes you look like a guy who asks money take the bus to see his mom at county hospital. have you ever been in a county hospital?
anyway i am sending you my credit card with ss# and my other bank account # attached to it just in case they give you hard time at the counter.
you should also ask money at this thread too. g' luck.
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=38925_0_42_0_C

Oct 20, 07 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Wal-Mart is on my perpetual shit list for being Wal-Mart. Everything about them is evil and obnoxious.

I won't buy Microsoft unless I have absolutely no other choice, and I'm quickly beginning to feel the same way about Autodesk.

I loathe McDonald's, but sometimes I'll still eat there because there's no other quick and cheap options nearby (especially if I'm on the road).

I'll admit to stopping at Starbucks on the way to work most mornings, mainly because they're on the way between the subway station and my office. I'd happily get my coffee fix elsewhere if there were any good options that were as convenient. (Our office coffee sucks.)

I won't eat Chik-Fil-A because they're owned by a right-wing Christian nutcase, and I won't stay in a Marriott because they're largely owned by the Mormon cult, er, I mean "church".

There's a few local businesses here in NYC I won't go to because I've gotten crappy goods and/or very crappy service.

I wish I could avoid buying things made by sweatshop labor, but that's almost impossible in today's society. I could single out Nike (their shoes don't fit me anyway) or some other company, but there's probably no way around buying sweatshop goods without doing lots of research and/or spending a fortune.

Truth is, the American economy has been based on slave labor since colonial times. The only difference is that we found it easier to move the plantations overseas instead of bringing the slaves here.

Oct 20, 07 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

The world economy has been based off of slave/exploited labor since colonial times, White Americans are just really good at exploiting it.

And I find it funny we have a panhandler on the 'nect now.

Oct 20, 07 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Oh, and I am the only one working at the office at 8:30 p.m. on a Sat. and have been here for 8hrs after my boss told me running these sets would only take 4hrs. I'm probably not the right guy to talk to about exploited labor.

If I don't get paid properly for this shit...

Oct 20, 07 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'm in the office now, and I just spent the better part of an hour trying to make a dynamic block of a simple interior door that would allow me to adjust the door swing, wall thickness, etc. as needed. Nothing worked, so I'm back to using regular blocks and rotating/flipping/exploding and stretching them.

Yeah, Design Center has a dynamic door block you can import, but it doesn't show the jambs or frame, and there's no double door option.

Why the fuck do such stupid little tasks seem to take up so much of my time?

Oct 20, 07 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Tell me about it.

If my boss would buy a decent print server I wouldn't even be here.

Oct 20, 07 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i always crack up when someone begs for a dollar on the internet...classic, and what a thread to dredge up, blast from da past....

Oct 20, 07 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

You can say all the crap you want about Wall Mart you want, but let me just add my two cents! My younger brother, who was and extremely talented art student, went over the edge one day never to come back completely. He still draws and paints but his life has been a struggle for years....and yes like twenty years now. He has been employeed by Wal-Mart for the past Ten years pushing shopping carts and helping people load there oversized purchases into their automobiles. I don't get to see him often, cause he is out in TreeKiller Country. However with all of his up and downs. Some of them sending him off to the hospital for monitoring while his medication is adjusted, Wal-Mart always gives him the time he needs,
and take him right back into the fold. Last Spring when out visiting family I had to run out to the Wal-Mart with him because he needed
some Batteries for his old Cannon Film Camera, which he still uses
as if he were eighteen years old and he does some stunning work with it. Anyhow it was really special to see how all of his fellow workers
said Hi to him and I felt a bit like they cared enough to watch out for him. So folks Wal-Mart isn't all that bad.

Oct 21, 07 11:12 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

It really isn't, I agree with snooker. I mean, I have my beefs but a friend of mine used to work night shifts there and he got treated just fine.

Oct 21, 07 11:36 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i don't think that i've ever actually been to a walmart.

and i'd happily eat at mcdonalds & burger king except there wasnt' any in the last american town that i lived in (ann arbor, michigan sucks)

and i boycott coca-cola...except when it's mixed with jack daniels. something about the alcohol negates any questions that i have regarding corporate ethics...

Oct 22, 07 11:44 am  · 
 · 

i don't shop in walmart... i go to target instead...

i haven't eaten at mcdonalds since watching supersize me...

i don't do starbucks either... although i don't drink caffeine, so that's not too difficult... but if i do get a decaf coffee drink i go to one of my locals...

Oct 22, 07 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Imple - I'll bet you there are McDonald's and Starbucks in Kiev. I'm sure they both pay more than $1/day.

And most people under 30 ys have no idea what Chernobyl is. Didn't it mostly affect people in Belarus anyway? I hear people are making good money taking tourists into the "dead zone" these days.

Oct 29, 07 8:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: