Archinect
anchor

Lighting & Stage Design

paintitblack

I did a brief google and forum search and didn't find a whole lot about this as it relates to architecture.  Which leads me to wonder, is this along the same lines as architecture, or something completely different altogether?

I am a college grad with an utterly worthless degree.  I am planning on going back to school in the next year or so to get a degree, preferably in architecture, as I'm interested in  structure and design.  However, I know the field ebbs and flows with the economy, and that things have been difficult recently.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to move in and out of other fields related to architecture, learn as much as I can in different related areas so that work will be easier to come by.

My main question is:  Are lighting and stage design at all related to architecture? Anyone ever dabbled into either of these?  Andi Watson, Radiohead's lighting designer comes to mind http://www.amazon.com/Bullet-Proof-Wish-Was/dp/0811874583#_

I'm extremely interested in concert stage and lighting setups and am curious if architects would be able to slide into this field, or if it is a completely different set of knowledge.

Thanks for any and all input!

Jun 12, 12 1:35 pm
mdler

http://www.stufish.com/

this is all you need to know

Jun 12, 12 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
paintitblack

Thank you!

Jun 15, 12 12:43 pm  · 
 · 

Of course they are related to the architecture! Boh of them! Have you any ather interest except design? For example I am interested in a web design besides the architecture. Here's one of my works http://www.themodernman.com/. What can you say about it?

Jun 18, 12 10:22 am  · 
 · 
mdler

may not want to go work for Radioheads designer after last weekends little disaster in Canada

Jun 18, 12 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
paintitblack

Not knowing much about stage setup, I can say that was the flimsiest looking stage I've ever seen.  Haven't seen anything like it. It looked like it was put together with wires.  

Jun 19, 12 9:07 am  · 
 · 

i hope the best for radiohead but, if the case of the collapse of the sugarland stage a year or so ago in indiana can be used as an example, they'll be named in the lawsuits that will inevitably result from this week's accident. kind of ridiculous given that they'd primarily be the client - not knowing how to confirm the suitability of a structure - but it's what happens.  

Jun 19, 12 9:22 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

Apparently the world needs better stage designers.  I think if you want to pursue stage and light design you should definitely do it.  It sounds like a great plan.  Just try to design stuff that doesn't fall down.  Good luck.

Jun 19, 12 11:48 am  · 
 · 
garethcooper9

This is very specific. You are going to have work very hard to make your way into it

Jun 29, 12 7:32 am  · 
 · 
TorG

Hey, this is probably the complete wrong place to ask maybe even wrong website, but you have the word stage design in the title so why not!

Basically what I need is to be able to put wallpaper on some sort of surface and nail / stick paintings ect on to it as I can't use a wall. What sort of frame / surface do I use? Any amazon links or stuff? Another possibility is a cool looking background (this is for a podcast set) such as MIO's Nomad. 

Thanks,

Tor

Aug 31, 14 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Paintitblack, what I’m hearing so far seems more like temporary staging for concerts…I would only contribute the thought of historical theater restoration with its staging/lighting as a career path. Practiced in this area which was a niche, helps to love theater and the arts….we used lighting consultants.

Aug 31, 14 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Wayne State in Detroit has a 3 year theater program that includes staging and lighting.

http://theatre.wayne.edu/mfa_curr.php

Aug 31, 14 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
mikegonzalez

Hi all

I am building a set for a film. I want to dirty up the walls after I am going to paint it in a flat ugly green. To dirty up the walls I was told to use an ounce of umber and a drop of black paint to a gallon of water and spray it on the walls and then use a damp rag to smear it around. 

Will the work? Also do I use umber powder or umber paint?

Thank you.

Jul 17, 16 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: