Archinect
anchor

LUMISTY Glass Film

MADianito

Has anyone has used this film, or knows a product like this one???

http://www.glassfilmenterprises.com/index.htm

does anyone knows if this is the same that was used in the new Diller & Scofidio ICA(Boston) building?? is it other brand, anyone has any info about this kind of "blury" films??

Jan 23, 07 12:11 pm
snooker

You might want to Contact Brad Pitt, as he did use the stuff on his Studio.

Jan 23, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

well he's sometimes around archinect so might give me more valuable info than ur comment bro...

Jan 23, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I've used it for a school project. I think it's about $35/sf. I got a special discount becuase they basically sent us scraps (that's all we needed). It's a fairly thick film that you apply to glass or plastic. It's not easy to apply actually, fairly easy to get bubbles and what not. I think they have pro-installers.

Jan 23, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
dierxap

Toshiko Mori used it for Pleats Please in SOHO....it was quickly removed because customers couldn't see into the shop easy enough. :)

Jan 24, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

yup DIERXAP thats the first time that i saw it, now seems DILLERSCOFIDIORENFRO where planning to use it for the ICA Boston...seems at the end the budget didnt let them...i dunno if at the end they used it or not, they had them planned on the computer animations of the virtual walk thru....

anyways... seems theres few info out there about this stuff.... DIERXAP now also in one if the shops at Japan of Myake they use also another film, similar to the effect of the "fog" at Pleats Please but this one gives an effect of motion blurred...looks funny...

Jan 24, 07 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

if you're going to install it yourself and want to avoid the bubbles, one way is to spray mists of water on the glass and then lay the film...then use a squeegee from the center out...this will allow you adjustability because the adhesive is not making contact to glass yet until you squeegee the water out...the adhesive is not water soluble...i learned this trick from an automobile decal installer and might work for this also...

i've also seen a aerosol spray to create the blur...this is appropriate for smaller applications...

Jan 24, 07 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

dammson is that advice from your days of pro installation of car window tint?haha

just kidding.
but sounds just like it (the process that is).

Jan 24, 07 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

cool looking film tho!

Jan 24, 07 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

"pimp my bar" (its for a Bar/lounge project)

tuning architecture ;)

Jan 24, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

yup!..i've installed one of those sticker visor that goes across the top part of the windshield...and that's exactly how i did it...and it was buble free...

Jan 24, 07 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
outed

back to the original question....

they have lumisty installed at the artimede lighting showroom in atlanta and it's definitely some cool stuff - everything is really opaque if you're viewing along a diagonal to the material, but it 'reveals' what's behind curtain #2 if you look at it dead on.

i've been trying to get some into our residential projects for a while, but, alas, it is rather expensive and it usually ends up on the cutting room floor....

Jan 24, 07 8:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: